TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Because the sign is missing!!! (is that really all we have to talk about? lol)

I think theyre scouting replacement sites for a certain water slide complex, which will be combined with B:TE to make a water coaster. #winning

Didn't Rpicurl Racer replace Barracuda Bay?

I think theyre scouting replacement sites for a certain water slide complex, which will be combined with B:TE to make a water coaster. #winning

alcoholic1.jpg.6139fb5d1300d055727329ec1707e85f.jpg

[attachment=0]alcoholic1.jpg[/attachment]

Lol!

The helo just flew over again (9:55 EST)

Went to the park for the 4th time yesterday. Motocoaster was up and running. Silver Bullet was dead all day long. Predator was down for a bit, there was a guy hammering on some bolts on the track on the first drop hill, but it came back up. I did notice the helicopter flying around pretty much all day long. I didn't think anything of it until it was just mentioned. Perhaps they are going to add another hotel because that's what the park needs most at this point.

I don't see them building another hotel entirely, but they always could expand on what they have if need be. I don't know what it's like during peak season, but I have never seen the hotel jam packed. Most people prefer the campground, at least during the fall months when I usually camp there.

I really am hoping for at least a new flat ride next year. There are many spots that have to be filled in on the fly before moving onto other expansion land. A small flat package may be too much to ask, but I really think that they could use something. And not a replacement ride, or build one somewhere and remove another. I'm talking ground-up investment.

The last flat ride to be added without removing another was Twister.

When the Giant Wheel did have lights, I always found it odd how different sections of the wheel would light up differently. A quarter of the wheel would have the lights on steady, while another quarter of the wheel had flashing lights, ect. I was reminded of this when I looked at the photo of the Giant Wheel on the sign next to the closest bathrooms to the ride, and the lights on the wheel in the photo are all lit up differently like this. . . Was there ever a time back in the day when all these lights would light up in sync with one another?

I don't see them building another hotel entirely, but they always could expand on what they have if need be. I don't know what it's like during peak season, but I have never seen the hotel jam packed. Most people prefer the campground, at least during the fall months when I usually camp there.

I really am hoping for at least a new flat ride next year. There are many spots that have to be filled in on the fly before moving onto other expansion land. A small flat package may be too much to ask, but I really think that they could use something. And not a replacement ride, or build one somewhere and remove another. I'm talking ground-up investment.

The last flat ride to be added without removing another was Twister.

A lot has seemingly been invested in the campground the past few years, with the cabins and replenishing the rental trailer stock with new trailers. Id have to imagine its the big money maker. I encounter a lot of people going to DL in my line of work, and most of them are using the campground, id say 10:1 campground to hotel. Im camping right now and theres a heavy Canadian presence right now.

I believe I remember Doug saying the hotel was originally designed for expansion in the future.

Also and indoor waterpark could work, though there is a bit of competition within 2.5 hours.

-Splash Lagoon in Erie

-Fallsview in NF

-Great Wolf Lodge in NF

There was originally a plan a while back by PARC for the park to become an all year attraction. This would include possibly expanding the hotel to include a water park, and opening up the land across from the park for skiing, sledding, etc.

The biggest factor of course is cost. I'm sure that PARC would have loved to make a few months more profit off of running the park, but of course CNL would have needed to put up the capital since they own the property. I think if any of these plans ever come to fruition, it will be once the park is rebuilt to a level where it can draw some more people in and prove to be a profitable year round property. There are still many things that need to be taken care of for the actual park and summer operating seasons first.

Yes, the hotel was built so that it could be expanded upwards. The idea of an indoor waterpark at DL is a tough one. It is not close to anything else and not many will travel to darien in the winter for an indoor waterpark. I may be wrong, but unless my season pass gets me admission, I would still be heading up to great wolf

Hey everybody I just visited Darien Lake this past Friday and wanted to share some thoughts. My first ever visit was Labor Day 2014 and this was my second visit.

-Operations have improved, even with the blanket 1 train operations, the trains didn't sit in the station for very long. The Ride of Steel crew was doing an excellent job pumping the train out in less than 90 seconds.

-The park could use some cleanup, next to ride of steels station & in the queue for Viper there was just trash all over the place. Water bottles, souvineer cups big items, not just can't wrappers.

-The new train on Ride of Steel is great, way more comfortable than the old one.

-There's not much of an atmosphere in the park, it just feels like your on some land with some rides plopped down.

-Lastly, just general aesthetics of the park, with half of the Mind Eraser supports painted, the other parts look even worst, some paint is so faded that it's white or even huge rust spots.

Kind of all over the place, but at least the operations improved. I look at this park and see so much potential to be awesome. Like a lot of people I'd like to see CNL out the picture and an actual amusement park operator to give the park the love it needs.

Scorecard.

Ride of Steel x5

Viper X1

Mind Eraser X1

Boomerang X1

Predator x1

^ You mean like this?

This was where you go up the stairs and into the building for Ride Of Steel. I wasn't sure if people were just throwing their garbage there before entering the station, or they got on the ride and then pitched it before going up the lift hill.

Either way, it was pretty sad looking.

DSC05941.JPG.8972c97d7483c615d91b11d3de90bc89.JPG

Don't they have a clean-up crew? I hope that this wasn't just from one day of operation, otherwise I am very embarrassed for the people of Western NY.

Littering is bad, but I actually do remember being entirely unable to find a trash can for our empty Tim Horton's cups when we rode the ride. We placed them on the exit platform and threw them out later because we're not a**holes, but I'm not surprised to see this. I'm not excusing it, but I'm not surprised either because people suck and there are no garbage cans around that ride.

Not enough trash cans? Man, they really have changed from a Six Flags park

I agree, Darien Lake really needs more trash cans, and recycling bins for water and soda pop bottles.

Didn't Darien Lake had more trash cans when Six Flags owned it?