TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I think Verbolten has the potential to easily top Griffon's (low) intensity ( ), but like Robb said, this is definitely a "family coaster", even if it may be considered "extreme".

Edited by Schotcher

Geesh, sorry.

He says it because you've been here long enough to know how to properly post, and you've been warned about your posting before. Don't be offended when someone takes notice... Posts like the one Larry quoted are kind of hard to miss.

Agreed. And to T-BONDIcoasterkid, we're all sick of your lack of respect for our posting rules, and we've given you plenty of rope. It's time to lay down the law. Next post you make that sucks - you'll be banned from TPR forever. Got it? Thank you.

--Robb "Just don't make shitty posts - that's not too much to ask!" Alvey

Sorry, guys. I was just in a hurry, thats all. I'll post more properly from now on.

I agree. But I do want to remind everyone that Verboten is still a "family coaster" isn't going to be an "extreme ride" like Griffon or even Alpengeist. It's going to be more like "Expedition Everest." Many people were disappointed in Thirteen and Cheetah Hunt because they were tamer than they were hoping, even though the tamer ride is exactly what the park ordered.

The spiral inside the mountain really surprised me the first time I rode it, it was pretty forceful. I hope Verbolten is the same way.

Expedition Everest is in fact, in my top 10 coaster list. I just love those Vekoma G-forces! Anyways, back to Verbolten: I wonder how fast those turns will be taken at? That could make or break it. I hope it takes them at 25-30 mph, so we can enjoy the scenery, and have some sweet G-forces! And I think I'll be buying some quick queue passes just for the Oktoberfest area, its going to get really crowded with Mach Tower AND Verbolten over there.

Seriously, though I think Verbolten is going to be a VERY "fun" ride, and will fit the lack of 48" rides at BGW very well.... but don't expected it to be the next Griffon, Alpengeist, or Apollo.

I whole heartily agree. I think Busch understands that they needed to replace the late, great, family ride (Big Bad Wolf) with another family ride. And so far, Verbolten looks like a great fit. Am I disappointed by this? No way. It will be a nice stepping stone to the bigger and badder Alpie & Griffion.

BGW and BGT both seem to be pushing the boundaries of the "family coaster," which is a good thing---Disney has had a lock on this segment for a long time. Cheetah Hunt is a great ride, and Verbolten shows lots of promise, thanks to the enclosed section and the big drop to the Rhine River.

It's good to see that parks other than Disney are willing to go beyond mine trains and rollerskaters when it comes to family rides.

Edited by cfc

I feel really lousy about saying this... but...

*whispers* I'm starting to not miss Big, Bad Wolf at all.

I think Big Bad Wolf will turn into something like Hypersonic at KD.. Nobody really talks about it and no one really misses it. I think in the next few years we will be saying, "I remember that ride.."

I think Big Bad Wolf will turn into something like Hypersonic at KD.. Nobody really talks about it and no one really misses it. I think in the next few years we will be saying, "I remember that ride.."

I don't think Hyper Sonic XLC was ever loved right? BBW was always praised though.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this to the fullest extent of the word. I've only gone to BGW once, and it was the year before Griffin opened. I wasn't a coaster enthusiast then (I was 9) and I still absolutely adored it. I probably rode it 6 or 7 times. Hypersonic was not open for long, was not all that great of a ride, and had no real theme, which is almost the exact opposite of BBW, which I believe will be missed much for a very long time.

I don't think Hyper Sonic XLC was ever loved right? BBW was always praised though.

It was a great ride when it first opened.. And Kings Dominion got 2 new awesome coasters in return of the ride closing. Maybe that is the case for Big Bad Wolf..

I don't blame people for hating Hypersonic XL, but there's no denying that the launch kicked butt. Unfortunately, once you crested the top of the hill, it was all down hill from there.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. While I will always miss BBW to some degree, I think this new coaster will soften the blow for a lot people who had a strong connection to the former arrow coaster.

If they could use the launch from Hypersonic and build a better ride after it.......

I believe you're referring to Powder Keg. If Verbolten is as good as that one, I'm sure many will be quite happy, indeed.

Edited by cfc

I believe you're referring to Powder Keg. If Verbolten is as good as that one, I'm sure many will be quite happy, indeed.

Powder Keg launches from 0-53 mph in 2.8 seconds, and Hypersonic XLC launches from 0-80 mph in 1.8 seconds. Not sure that those two can really compare other than the simple fact that they both are launched coasters.

How fast are Verbolten's launches going to be again?

Just to be clear: I LOVED BBW. And I was very upset to hear it was getting removed.

But Verbolten is looking quite fetching and awesome and loaded with dark ride goodness. This makes me very happy.

I will never speak of BBW and Hypersonic-Excel-See in the same sentence. Except for that one I just did.

Just to clear things up, I was using Hypersonic as an example that Big Bad Wolf might be. Everyone (Or at least some) liked the rides and then after Hypersonic, KD got a awesome B&M and an INCREDIBLE Intamin Giga, maybe Verbolten will be better than Big Bad Wolf.. Sorry if I was confusing.