TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

We might be finding out where Chang is going soon. A lot of track and supports are being loaded onto the back of tractor trailers. However, the it might just go into storage if they really are still deciding where to send it. (which I highly doubt)

All low lying track has been removed along with the supports for that area. I would say the taller stuff (lift hill, loop dive loop, turn around) will either come down soon, or, due to the absence of a taller crane, will most likely not happen until the off season. Especially since there is no apparent hurry by SF to get it constructed.

Yeah right, if you removed all lying track along the supports for that area will causes either come down soon. Due to the absence of a taller crane, especially since there is no apparent hurry by SF to get it constructed. It might be danger of that area.

Hopefully Six Flags cant touch anything that wasn't put there by Premier Parks/Six Flags Inc. (Thunder Run, T2, various flats etc.) That way someone else can run the park or the rides and coasters will run during the state fair at the very least.

Apparently the mayor of Louisville is trying to work with Six Flags and the KEC to put a deal together. Don't know if it'll happen (probably not) but they're trying. SFKK is one of the largest employers in the state. Losing it would be a huge blow to the already struggling economy in the area.

I Agree... Mark Shapiro is killing Louisville! Without Kentucky Kingdom, there is nothing bringing in money to the city besides derby! Not to mention tons of seasonal jobs for High School and college age individuals which could fit this job perfectly into their schedule and still maintain their grades! This will be a lot of less money spent in the city economy that is already failing due to tons of other jobs leaving. ( I myself am a double victim of layoffs in this city)

This city needs Kentucky Kingdom to fund those new bridges and rebuild the Kennedy Interchange, which i honestly don't see happening now cause we like the slow Kentuckians that we are used all the money on that new arena which we didn't need.(Freedom Hall was fine!!!)

^Isn't there a huge Ford Manufacturing Plant there or did that go under too. High school and College kids can work heavy machinery.

I had a great time on my visit to SFKK back in 2006. I hope to see some of the coasters moved around the country. Maybe T2 can make a pit stop in Tucson...I bet the heat will make the ride run better.

^Isn't there a huge Ford Manufacturing Plant there or did that go under too. High school and College kids can work heavy machinery.

If I am thinking right law requires you to be at least 18 to operate heavy machinery so the kids can't. But with the way the economy is right who knows if that plant will be open much longer (If it still is open).

Did anyone answer Elissa's question on what happened to the drop tower?

I had to cut SFKK off my schedule last year, only park I missed all year from the plan, oh well.

Did they still have the drag strip cars?? That was my favorite, but it was a long time ago lol.

Peace, Big Mike

I've only been there once. The Boomerang coaster was down for maintenance. The Twisted Sisters(?) were fun! We rode a lot that day but before I got to the Batman ride, I did Chang. I fely like Joe Frazier after a fight with Muhammed Ali. That was enough for the day.................

I thought this was a great location, but it looks as though they were made an offer they could refuse.

Hmm, I had the chance to go there last year, but chose to go to Holiday World instead. I still probably wouldn't choose differently knowing that they were going to close, because that was probably my first and only time I'll ever get to go to HW, but it's still sad to see parks close. I wonder if that accident hadn't happened, would things be different?

I think so. The accident may have partly been SFKK's fault, but the park is still really unlucky. That accident really messed up the park and it's been going downhill since...

Anyways, there may still be a chance. http://www.wlky.com/news/22468433/detail.html

The thing about the jobs is true. The park was really important to the city.

If the park does go, I just hope other Six Flags parks will benefit from it by getting some rides, unlike AstroWorld where only about a couple (or less?) made it to other parks.

Speaking of SFA, anyone think the same thing may happen there too? There aren't as many hints as SFKK because SFA's major attraction hasn't been removed, but it seems like Six Flags wants to get rid of all the stuff they don't want before their 50th Anniversary.

Isn't there a huge Ford Manufacturing Plant there or did that go under too.

Both Ford Plants are STRUGGLING!!! Thousands of layoffs and contract buyouts over the last couple of years. The Explorer plant on fern valley rd.'s parking lot used to be filled with thousands of Ford explorers, but in recent years, the lot is either completely empty or maybe has about 20 explorers max. I wouldn't be surprised if the plants went under soon with the US under Obama becoming energy minded and cars like explorers are looked down upon and don't sell compared to the US of the 90s. IIRC, the plants are to expensive for a retrofit to sell compact gas savers so the plants will close or just slowly produce Explorers and the other plant slowly produce F-series trucks slowly which doesn't require the Louisville owning work force they used to have years ago.

I thought everyone knows that Louisville is the HUB for UPS. Didn't anyone happen to see all those big planes flying in and out of the Airport next to SFKK? Did you think they were carrying passengers? Nope; UPS parcels.

If 6F acts quickly, they can change the height limit on the Roller Skater from 36" (w/ parent) to 42" and ship it to Magic Mountain thereby creating a Mr. 6's Dueling Dance Party Roller Coaster! This would simultaneously leapfrog the Mountain into #1 most coaster status, while creating another Roller Skater with a 42" height limit, thereby justifying their inane case to do so.

Guy "Cause 2 new un-family oriented Roller Skaters are better than 1 that is family friendly." Koepp

Speaking of SFA, anyone think the same thing may happen there too? There aren't as many hints as SFKK because SFA's major attraction hasn't been removed, but it seems like Six Flags wants to get rid of all the stuff they don't want before their 50th Anniversary.

Well SFA probably has a couple more seasons because their putting in a thomas town in this year.

Shocker!

Seriously when a company does not invest good money in a park, the park is bound to not perform well and be closed...I really do not think SFKK fail, but SIx Flags did, for not investing the proper money on it. When/What was the last coaster.... A USED greezed lightning

So the water park is leaving too? that is sad

Sure, I (and probably anyone else on this forum) could see this coming from a mile away, and sure it's kinda sad that this park is closed, but I honestly think it's for the better. Ever since the S:ToP accident, I knew the park would be having at least a little bit of trouble. Once they got rid of Chang, I knew the deal was sealed. I just hope it either

1) Gets bought out by a company that'll manage it well or

2) Send its rides to parks in need of them.

Although a little surprised and saddened, again, I think it's for the better that this park closes.

Well SFA probably has a couple more seasons because their putting in a thomas town in this year.

Mark Shapiro has gone on the record many times and said SFA is not up for sale despite years of rumors.

The most recent example of this was during the last Blogger Conference Call.