TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 401: Herschend Enterprises named majority partner and park operator

^That makes sense... You would think the park and the Fair could play nice knowing they share this space but if the park is hindered from using its allotted parking (which impacts the ability for guests to actually go to the park) then they have the right to sue for a business impact. Could they come to terms in a better way? Most likely. But the fair board has consistently shown that their interests in the park's success take a backseat in favor of the Fair.

I think it would have been better had Hart just built a new park elsewhere in the Louisville area rather than be under the Fair Boards thumb.

If this were Roller Coaster Tycoon and you could just open a trainer and press a button every time you needed more money to build your park then yeah, sure.

I think it would have been better had Hart just built a new park elsewhere in the Louisville area rather than be under the Fair Boards thumb.

In an ideal scenario, building from scratch in a place where they had free reign would have been better... But the value in the existing Kentucky Kingdom site was that it required minimal work to reinstate the existing infrastructure and attractions, saving them millions in the typical upfront cost that goes into building a brand new park. I don't know that Ed Hart and his team could have brokered a land deal and gathered enough funds to start a new park from the ground up with as much relative ease as they had with bringing Kentucky Kingdom back to life.

I'm hearing that the fair board has come to there senses, and agreeing to the terms to allow the park to expand.

Kentucky Kingdom is pleased to report that the Fair Board has granted the park its request for one acre of expansion property required for the installation of its newest and 6th coaster – the Kentucky Flyer. The park was advised of this development after Mr. Hart held a press conference yesterday at the park.

Ed Hart had this to say: “I want to thank Governor Bevin and Secretary Landrum of the Finance and Administration Cabinet for making arrangements to cut through the paperwork necessary for Kentucky Kingdom and the Fair Board to come to terms. Of course, Kentucky Kingdom will provide, if it hasn’t already, all the information the Fair Board has requested. With that assurance, we’ve been given the green light to proceed. I am happy to declare that the Kentucky Flyer is on track for a 2019 grand opening. Clearly, this is an example of Governor Bevin and his administration cutting through the type of “red tape” that can hinder economic development in the Commonwealth.”

Following the negative publicity surrounding the dispute between the Kentucky State Fair Board and Kentucky Kingdom, the request for the acre of property needed for Kentucky Flyer has been granted, allowing for construction on the project to resume.

https://www.wave3.com/2018/10/17/state-approves-land-new-kentucky-kingdom-coaster/

Officials with Kentucky Kingdom plans for a new roller coaster are now a “go” after the Kentucky State Fair Board agreed to give the park the land it needed for the project.

Kentucky Kingdom said its request for one acre of property required to install its newest coaster, the Kentucky Flyer, has been granted by the Fair Board.

Park officials say the approval came after Ed Hart, President and CEO of Kentucky Kingdom, held a news conference yesterday to complain about the delay of the land transfer. According to Hart, the one acre was promised to him and he needed it to expand the park, but the State Fair Board wouldn’t agree to the transfer.

In a statement released today by Kentucky Kingdom spokesman, Hart said, “I want to thank Governor Bevin and Secretary Landrum of the Finance and Administration Cabinet for making arrangements to cut through the paperwork necessary for Kentucky Kingdom and the Fair Board to come to terms. Of course, Kentucky Kingdom will provide, if it hasn’t already, all the information the Fair Board has requested. With that assurance, we’ve been given the green light to proceed. I am happy to declare that the Kentucky Flyer is on track for a 2019 grand opening. Clearly, this is an example of Governor Bevin and his administration cutting through the type of ‘red tape’ that can hinder economic development in the Commonwealth.”

Kentucky Flyer, a wooden roller coaster, would be the 6th coaster at the park.

Edited by jedimaster1227

^ Awesome! So do we know anything about the extra acreage that the park had said they have the right to expand on? Is that still the plan?

There was a map posted a few pages back. There are no plans at this time to expand into that area except for the tiny, tiny cutout necessary for this coaster.

That's pretty sweet! And what a relief the project is back underway once again!

Definitely one of the brighter sides in the world of coaster enthusiasts when a bunch can push hard enough to get a coaster's opening back on track.

Great news for the park! Still cant believe all that crap actually happened when the state have lost the park once already...

The new ride looks great, but I'm not really feeling the location. Seems like that corner would be reserved for expanding the water park in the future. Surely they know what they are doing, but still.

It's no surprise honestly. The Fair Board is the reason why Six Flags abandoned the park suddenly and took Chang and the Roadrunner Express coaster with them. It's also the reason why the Koch's also pulled out of the deal when they were thinking about taking it over but at least Ed Hart knows the headaches of dealing with the Fair Board and is good at dealing with them and playing their game with them.

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about something lately and it blows my mind. So, if you go to Kingdom you'll notice that t3 sticks out the most in the park and it pretty much towers over the park, coaster wise. Obviously there are some other attractions that are taller than t3. However, T3 is 102 ft. tall at the top of the lift. If you go to Kings Island, Mystic Timbers seems super tiny on the skyline, everything towers over it. However, Mystic is 109 feet tall. Just imagine how much a taller coaster would tower over everything at Kingdom.

I've been thinking about something lately and it blows my mind. So, if you go to Kingdom you'll notice that t3 sticks out the most in the park and it pretty much towers over the park, coaster wise. Obviously there are some other attractions that are taller than t3. However, T3 is 102 ft. tall at the top of the lift. If you go to Kings Island, Mystic Timbers seems super tiny on the skyline, everything towers over it. However, Mystic is 109 feet tall. Just imagine how much a taller coaster would tower over everything at Kingdom.

I think it stands out more being isolated in the waterpark. If it were by Fear Fall and Lightning run it wouldn't seem as out of place. Plus all that red

And visually speaking, Mystic Timbers is pretty tucked away deep into the park, oh-so barely visible from the parking lot. Whereas T3 is easily accessible visually from the highway, surrounding roads, and even from the front of the park. Not a whole lot of forestation to completely surround it either.

You are right on one aspect, it's pretty staggering how T3 almost feels visually taller than Mystic Timbers, but stats say the exact opposite. Almost makes me miss when Chang dominated the skyline from anywhere, lol.

^ This would be nice but unfortunately not very likely to happen due to the park sitting on the edge of the airport, but fun to think about though.

According to Ed, a coaster of that height is possible alongside where Kentucky Flyer is going and by deep water dive, as there aren't landing strips facing that direction.