TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Dang, I gotta start reading the Courier Journal! This is great, today is somewhere around 90 degrees and the last thing Kentucky Kingdom needs is another show. But its too bad that the front part of the park won't be used... wait... THAT'S WHERE GREEZED LIGHTNIN' SITS. You mean that ride is going to be GONE?

1911598977_KentuckyKingdom.jpg.0778269aff0c8d751fee3756b5b97a85.jpg

Kentucky kingdom in Google Earth.

1932820235_KentuckyKingdomopen.jpg.07d2f6924eefb5d4226296feecd70596.jpg

Green: To be used

Red: Not to be used

Edited by Midgetman82

No, it means that for the 2011 season the front part of the park which includes Greezed Lightning, Tin Lizzies, Enterprise, Himalayla (sp), Bluebeards Bounty, the old loonytoons movie town kids area, Thrill Park Motion Theater, Rio Grande, and the old entrance will not open, NOT removed, but not opened. Also it looks like Twisted Twins will not open for 2011.

ooh, over-reacted a little... . Come to think of it, I'm pretty exited for this waterpark expansion. It seems directed more to kids and family with a water theme, which I like because of the heat.

^Yeah, you did just a tad bit . Ed Hart in a interview also said this...."To reach the highest and best use, we need a full-fledged theme park," with a water park competitive with other major amusement attractions in Ohio and Southern Indiana and also a heavy emphasis on roller coasters, Hart said.

Take it how it is...coasters are indeed not out of the question...

Credit: http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100724/BUSINESS/307240041/Kentucky+fair+board+OKs+deal+to+get+Six+Flags+land++rides

No, it means that for the 2011 season the front part of the park which includes Greezed Lightning, Tin Lizzies, Enterprise, Himalayla (sp), Bluebeards Bounty, the old loonytoons movie town kids area, Thrill Park Motion Theater, Rio Grande, and the old entrance will not open, NOT removed, but not opened. Also it looks like Twisted Twins will not open for 2011.

Guys, just face the facts - the park looking LESS like an amusement park and MORE like a water park is shaping up to be the reality.

I'm not saying that all those rides are going to be removed, or they will get rid of all rides all together, but I'm starting to think many of you had better be prepared for some of those older rides to hit the road.

If you look at the trends in the amusement industry right now, water park attractions are turning a MUCH higher revenue stream than old-and-busted rides from decades ago or un-popular-in-the-first-place woodies that haven't operated in a few years.

So as a park developer, if you had to choose between a lower-cost, higher revenue option versus trying to resurrect and maintain problematic old rides, sorry guys, but I'd be ripping out the 'ol Anton shuttle loop and CCI woodie, too.

--Robb "Just trying to be realistic here instead of living in Fantasyland like I believe many posters here are." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Water parks are not up my alley even if Thunder Run and T2 come back. So it looks like the park is still in a SF closed off area funk unless Hart can get more financing.

I was confused into thinking I was going to Zoombezi Bay to get the Sea Dragon credit I was lacking but then I found to understand though not clearly marked at first I was going to the Jungle Jack Crossing section of the new owner Columbus Zoo in 2008.

I can see Robb's reality, I mean when you think about it, the back of the park was closed off and not used for a few years anyway, and with the twins needing new trains and extensive rehab, it's probably better they tear that and the falls down and bulldoze the dragster area and make room for something else down the road, maybe like another entrance to the park with new attractions.

The park itself, as I remember it, was a little akward to get around in, and was kinda blah, IMO, when it came to layout. I'm thinking Hart is a smart man who will play it out with some real thought. If the water park packs them in combined with a few rides, then for the first year or beyond, so be it. It will give him time to drum up money and redo other parts of the park to a point that it will attract patrons from a far for the 2012 season. Seeing that newspaper article really gives some perspective on his thoughts. The industry and the city doesn't want to see another failed venture. The older rides I'm sure if kept, and even the not so new rides, oh who am i kidding, all of the rides will need a complete overhaul given the time that they have sat not to mention that fact that parts may be missing (wouldn't know who would've done that, cough, sf, cough). And while I would like to see him buyout freestyle and move the good rides to KK, that probably won't happen. It would be very funny, however, if he called up B&M and asked for another "Chang".

I think Rob is right... things are looking bleak with the "amusement" park.

Ed Hart knows what he's doing. He made Kentucky Kingdom the "Thrill Park"... The park had a lot of success as both a theme and water park, but that was a different time, so he'll have to watch what the competitors are up to... Beech Bend, Holiday World and Kings Island all continue to build wet and dry rides.

When Hart took over the park, the park was only the front section and that eventually expanded into the back which caused the bridge to be built. The road that cuts through is such a hassle and the bridge has a bad traffic flow it doesn't surprise me that they want to move the entrance.

You never know, perhaps the State Fair will look into operating only the small park during Fair Season. It has a great infrastructure.

But again, I think Rob is onto something.

Rob I completely understand what you're saying, but I just think the park is doomed no matter what I've seen that happen with Geauga Lake and the water park still isn't doing that well, that might be because no major additions have been added, for the park to even have a shot big new water rides and slides will have to be added or it'll go under again. I'd say convert the back area to complete water park but keep the front half of the park an amusement park but make it pay per ride with a pay full price option.

^^yeah, that bridge was a huge hassel which added to my "blah" in referrence to the park's layout. In all reality, they only have a handful of solutions to the bridge problem. 1. don't use that side of the park, tear it out and turn it into a parking lot, 2. build a bigger bridge, 3. tunnel, but that costs lots of money, or 4. do number 1, then expand the opposite direction when/if it's financially viable to do so.

Um guys, Ed doesn't want to turn the WHOLE park to a waterpark...that is not his intentions. He wants to expand the waterpark, while having a small park on the side of it. As you may read in my prior post here (1st post of the page) he said in a interview he wants to emphasis water rides AND coasters, and that in order to compete he needs a balance of both of them. This could mean anything...I could see in a number of years the front side being demolished and being rebuilt. Expect Thunder Run and Roller Skater to be open next year if this all works out.

Also, people who think this place is doomed is wrong. The biggest mistake people do in a situation like this is comparing Kentucky Kingdom as Geagua lake, which is completly different.

1. Kentucky Kingdom is going to become completely different, and under a new owner. A owner that sky rocketed the park in the mid 90's.

2. Kentucky Kingdom was indeed making money besides losing it, like GL.

3. Complete new plan, a plan to revive both rides and water rides.

Kentucky Kingdom may have been doomed under Six Flags but for anyone who visited the park from 1990-1997 will tell you that with Hart the park will be very nice and the future is VERY bright.

We weren't saying that he was going to turn the whole park into a water park, I said it was nice that there was an expansion and Robb said that this park is starting to look more like a water park because of how there is a lot of waterslides coming into the Kentucky Kingdom picture.

Um guys...

Ok, seriously dude, your attitude in your posts is really obnoxious.

Try dropping the "um guys..." and the "actually..." and maybe people will have a bit more respect towards your posts.

But otherwise, your posts come off as rude and obnoxoius...just letting you know.

--Robb "Know one likes the know-it-all." Alvey

I really don't believe the park is going to be all waterpark! maybe next season, but thats it! This is just the start. The waterpark right now is smaller than your average waterpark. Ed Hart is just turning the waterpark to your average size waterpark. The small side of the park will nolonger be open, and the way it sounds it will never be open again. All the rides from the smaller side will be relocated to the larger park. After 2011, bring on the rides and major coasters.

I don't think KK will be getting a coster. The paper Friday stated that the new park will be smaller wit STILL a focus on water rides! They also had a small diagram map that showed the former front side and Twisted Twins area is marked, AREA NOT TO BE USED!

Maybe this won't be as good as I thought! I think we're back to square 1 (What we were thinking in OCT 2009)

Doctor "Geagua'd" Doom

I had seen the courier journal back in May and thought this. It's good that Ed Hart wants to place emphasis on coasters as well as water rides. This summer has been awful with "the Kingdom" not being open. However the future is bright with Ed Hart back at the helm. Whatever his plan is, he knows what he is doing. He wants to compete with Holiday World, Kings Island and now Beech Bend. (Thats going to be a huge stretch to keep up with KI due to space and how far KI went after 99 while KK had few additions, but is was achieved in 97-98).

To compete with Holiday World and Beech Bend, KK should add free unlimited soft drinks. That might not be a financially viable option but it has lured away Louisvillans to Holiday World for years and Beech Bend has this now as well, so it would help keep competitive in this market.

I like that Kentucky Kingdom gets to have a second chance in a similar way to Geauga Lake sort of way, but not completely because I imagine that they will keep what remaining rides they have for a while. Best case scenario: Kentucky Kingdom still remains successful as an independant park (a la Darien lake, Great Escape). Worst Case Scenario: We have another "Hard Rock/Freestyle Music Park" situation. Either way, I will be interested to see what the future holds in store for this park.

On another note, which park do you think that Road Runner Express will go to? I'm hoping it goes to SFA since they haven't gotten any new coaster in almost a decade and they never got to properly replace Two-Face? Do you think they'll have it at another park by next year as the parks' big 2011 attraction? Will it have a new theme and name? Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.wlky.com/r/24607223/detail.html

The Kentucky State Fair will open its gates next Thursday without the adjoining Kentucky Kingdom amusement park for the first time since 1989.

Despite the loss of those rides, the Kentucky State Fair Board is optimistic the Thrillway will remain successful.

“The fair has always been focused on being forward-thinking while still maintaining its tradition and culture. Being unable to offer Kentucky Kingdom rides allows us to showcase a greater number and variety of midway rides,” Kentucky State Fair Board President and CEO Harold Workman said. More than 50 midway rides will be available for fair patrons, up from 42 rides last year. Ride operator North American Entertainment said it is bringing some new rides to Louisville as a substitute for the missing Kentucky Kingdom rides.

Discounted wristband specials are available for the Kentucky State Fair Thrillway. Thrill seekers can enjoy unlimited access to rides on Aug. 19, 23-26 and 29 from 2 p.m. to close for $24. Kiddie Days at the Thrillway occur on both Fridays of the Fair, Aug. 20 and 27. Fairgoers 12 years and younger can get wristbands at the Thrillway ticket booth for $12 for unlimited access to all of the child rides from noon-close.

Discounted Thrillway tickets can also be purchased in advance online at www.kystatefair.org or at participating Kentucky and Southern Indiana Kroger stores, using Kroger Plus Cards. The tickets, good for each day of the Fair, are also sold in sets of 22 for just $17.

Six Flags closed for the 2010 season after a lease dispute with the Kentucky State Fair Board. The park is expected to reopen under the leadership of former operator Ed Hart in 2011.

Great now North American Midway can have 3, Tilt-A-Whirls, Scramblers and Himalaya type rides instead of 2 each like the last several years. They really didn't lose much to KK when it was open, most people at the fair are locals who had visited KK all summer. Why pay 5.00 to ride Chang , when most people had already rode it.

• 4 weeks later...