TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

^That space is still in the closed area, unless the coaster is planned to not open when the park does then I'm sure they would build it there. My guess is that they might build it either past T2 near the Gotham Arena (or whatever that batman show place is called), in place of the Dragsters, or next to the new water slides.

P.S., All of Louisville in Google Earth is updated, including Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. The new picture shows Chang missing, Sky Coaster Missing, Road Runner Express still there, and a much more clear view of the whole park from above.

Check it out here

Edited by Midgetman82

^^A Boomerang would not be a *marquee* attraction, especially for a park that had a massive stand-up coaster. Besides, we already had a *cursed* boomerang. I don't know though, we have seen some questionable additions to amusement parks in recent years. Maybe we will get a boomerang with new trains. Not like Carolina Cobra's, I'm talking some BSG, seat-disengaging goodness.

"You thought getting stuck in odd angles for 2-3 hours and being removed with a cherry picker was fun, or having your feet removed out from under you was intense, just wait until you faceplant into concrete on the new Vampire 2: Bite the Dust!"

It kind of depends on which way the park want's to head. Their 3 'competitors' have well-known wood coasters and Kings Island is the only one to have major steel rides. So, do they try to go after the wood market again or do they put in a steel one? 8 Million really won't buy you a large steel coaster nowadays, and I like the Eurofighter Idea or something like those Tony Hawk Big Spin coasters could be a contender. Could they expand the old Road Runner Pad and put in a Steel Hawg type-ride?

I seriously doubt that a new coaster could open there by next season. I wouldn't expect much more than the waterpark and a few kids rides to be open by then with a few coasters reopening later in the year. This is a huge project, and I'm still unclear what will happen to the original entrance side, though it sounds like it will reopen eventually... there are so many different ideas up in the air.

I can only wish the best for this little park and the people who care about it.

It kind of depends on which way the park want's to head. Their 3 'competitors' have well-known wood coasters and Kings Island is the only one to have major steel rides. So, do they try to go after the wood market again or do they put in a steel one? 8 Million really won't buy you a large steel coaster nowadays, and I like the Eurofighter Idea or something like those Tony Hawk Big Spin coasters could be a contender. Could they expand the old Road Runner Pad and put in a Steel Hawg type-ride?

I seriously doubt that a new coaster could open there by next season. I wouldn't expect much more than the waterpark and a few kids rides to be open by then with a few coasters reopening later in the year. This is a huge project, and I'm still unclear what will happen to the original entrance side, though it sounds like it will reopen eventually... there are so many different ideas up in the air.

I can only wish the best for this little park and the people who care about it.

The front side of the park that will not open next season is done for. It will never be open apart of Kentucky Kingdom again, Unless they build a coaster somehow going across the road.

On the news they keep saying MASSIVE coaster btw. And also it will be between 8-10million.

The front side of the park that will not open next season is done for. It will never be open apart of Kentucky Kingdom again, Unless they build a coaster somehow going across the road.

Source?

heres your source. He said it many times here in louisville on our local news that he's turning in the land inside ring road to the fair board and he relocating the rides from inside ring road to the larger side of the park.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Plan-in-place-to-get-Kentucky-Kingdom-back-up-and-running-in-Louisville-102632059.html

I'm still wondering what will happen. There may be a possibility they will reroute the road that cuts through the park as it will be cheaper to do that then to move all those rides... plus, it would be a waste of an existing infrastructure. I don't see what the problem is with that bridge.

WHAS11 News on Ed Hart[/url]"]"And one of the ways to create value is to create free parking. Besides free parking to have value pricing for food," Hart says.

THANK YOU!

^I wish I knew that, all I knew was that even if the water park was closed for the colder seasons, Deluge would still be open for people to ride!

Source?

heres your source. He said it many times here in louisville on our local news that he's turning in the land inside ring road to the fair board and he relocating the rides from inside ring road to the larger side of the park.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Plan-in-place-to-get-Kentucky-Kingdom-back-up-and-running-in-Louisville-102632059.html

Dude...there's nothing in that article saying that side of the park will never open again. It very well may not...but so far, this hasn't been confirmed. Plus, Ed Hart has all ready put forth $1.2 million in lease payments, which leads me to believe he is not forfeiting the front side of the park over to the fair board.

But I could be wrong. (I just hope I'm not.)

I like free. I usually went during the Street Rod Nationals, having a SP to SF's it was a no brainer to walk over, and the best part, it was usually dead, even on the weekend. I suppose all the car people scared off the locals or something, but, it was good fo me!. In 09 when I went, I didn't have a car, it was a last minute decision while up the road for KI, and a quick look at the schedule said go to KY. I managed to wonder around through the RV lot, past the gate to KK and past the road that splits the two sides, then, just walked on into the nationals. So much for "absolutley no one will be allowed in without credentials or a ticket" lol.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2010/sep/26/bc-ky-kentucky-kingdom/?features&travel

The developer taking over Kentucky Kingdom plans to ask the Kentucky State Fair Board for a $50 million bond issue to upgrade and reopen the amusement park. Ed Hart, who was designated in May by the fair board as the park's preferred operator, told The Courier-Journal that the proposal calls for park revenue to pay off the bonds over the next 20-plus years, covering an annual debt of about $3 million.

Six Flags filed for bankruptcy in Delaware. The court is expected soon to approve agreements with the fair board under which Six Flags would end its obligations for the park.

Hart said the park's reopening is dependent on a public-private partnership and described the state's contribution as an investment in a community facility worth about $200 million. Hart plans to spend $20 million adding rides and doubling the size of the water park.

"My goal is to see Kentucky Kingdom flourish again, and it can. It will pay for itself," said Hart, who headed a group that owned Kentucky Kingdom from 1988-97. Hart sold the park in 1997, for about $80 million, to Six Flags, which closed it early this year.

Fair board president Harold Workman said the bond issue and the investment make sense, but would require approval by the General Assembly in 2011.

A new state-funded, $50,000 study by the AECOM consulting firm and paid for by the fair board and the Kentucky Tourism, Arts & Heritage Cabinet, found that revenue from a reopened Kentucky Kingdom would be around $11 million.

The study also concluded that revenues would include more than $1 million in annual lease payments from Hart, new tax revenue and money taken in by hotels and restaurants near the fairgrounds.

The study said the park's reopening would eventually create about 1,200 jobs, primarily hospitality positions and some construction employment.

Both Hart and Workman said the goal is to have the park reopened by Memorial Day 2011.

Hart proposes an initial annual lease payment to the fair board of around $1.2 million. The lease would let Hart rent about 50 acres at the expo center for theme park facilities.

Chad Carlton, Mayor Jerry Abramson's spokesman, said the theme park would be a major job creator and have a positive impact on the region's economy.

"We very much would like to see (the park) reopened as soon as is practical," Carlton said.

Hart already has paid $3 million to the fair board, which under a deal between the board and Six Flags, used $2.35 million to give to Six Flags to acquire about 20 acres of amusement park land that Six Flags owns outside the road circling the exposition center.

The rest of the $3 million will go for maintenance, security and other costs.