TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mega Dead Celebrity Thread

TheRapidsNerd wrote:

Glad to find another who appreciates DU and Tupacs work in it. There are so few who do. Good call.

I hope you're not suggesting that Tupac has few fans. He's like Jesus to millions of black people.

No, no. You're absolutely right. Just everybody doesn't seem to like him as much in the DU days as they do in his later days from what I've seen.

Sorry to change the subject but...

Heath's death upset me more than I could have imagined. I saw Brokeback Mountain for the first time a few months ago, and many, many times since then. It was honestly a life changing movie for me, I became more comfortable with my being gay, came out a lot more, and the movie just blew me away. It hit me so hard, mainly due to the amazing performances of Heath and Jake. As hard as it is to explain quickly, I just feel like I owe much of my matured mind to him, I really can't even describe it. As dumb as it may sound, I cried yesterday. This just really got to me.

And wow, those westboro baptist church people are beyond idiotic. Try learning from the world rather than a preset group of beliefs.

I'll often comment that I "like" a particular actor or artist, but rare that I'll describe myself as "a fan", but I really am a fan of Heath Ledger, I think he was an extraordinary actor who would have had a long and successful career ahead of him had he lived longer. It's rare for a celebrity's death to affect me but this one has really got to me, to be honest. According to the media (I take this with a pinch of salt), the autopsy today was inconclusive and no cause of death could be determined, but they still have to wait for the toxicology results, so it looks like it is drug related, whether it be illegal narcotics or prescription drugs, suicide or accident, who knows, but chances are it'll be something in his blood that killed him.

Such a tragic loss to the film world. I feel terribly sad for any child who grows up having lost a parent, my thoughts are with his little girl and family. I hope for their sake that this was somehow an accident and not something he chose to do, I know from experience that suicide can be one of the hardest things to move on from, knowing that somebody chose to die.

Our celebrity-obsessed culture makes me sad. Seems like so many young rising stars just don't even make it through their 20s these days. My friends and I take bets on which stars will die in a particular calendar year... Heath was never mentioned. I have Britney, Amy Winehouse and Pete Doherty on the predictions list for 2008. Kinda makes me sad that I feel pretty sure that at least one of them won't make it through the year.

As dumb as it may sound, I cried yesterday. This just really got to me.

Not dumb at all. There's nothing wrong with being compassionate. A lot of people were affected very deeply by this. This was a big shock. Plus, we all deal with death in our own way and at our own pace. We do heal and move on eventually, just our hearts tell us when. Hang in there man.

While I can see people's points in the thread about a grown adult knowing how many pills would be too many.

After going through pneumonia and knowing how much that knocks you around, what with the 41C fever I had before giving in to my wife to go to hospital, I could see how a mistake could be made. Not really being able to remember the last day at work, and having messed up a patch panel I was working on so bad that our company had to spend another full day to fix what I had done, a couple of pills in the wrong amount of time would not seem like a hard thing to do.

I guess I am on the defencive a bit due to Heath being an aussie, but I still have a open mind on the findings, and like most, will have to wait for the reports to return to see what happened.

Like always, only time will tell......

It's very sad when an Actor or Actress dies, but if they can't deal with life and too afraid to go into re-hab or get some help then death is the only cure.

Anyone seen "The Bridge" film, it's very shocking to see people jump off the Golden Gate Bridge and you wonder why the people do it when there is so much help in the city.

While I can see people's points in the thread about a grown adult knowing how many pills would be too many.

After going through pneumonia and knowing how much that knocks you around,

a couple of pills in the wrong amount of time would not seem like a hard thing to do.

I guess I am on the defencive a bit due to Heath being an aussie, but I still have a open mind on the findings, and like most, will have to wait for the reports to return to see what happened.

I agree with you on all counts. It seems to me that people are very ambivalent with regards to how serious pneumonia can be regardless of age. Add to that concern other medications and it can be a very dangerous combo. We'll see what is finally found out about what happened, but maybe it will be a wake-up call for people to take their own health more seriously. I do work in a hospital and see all to often how fast things can change and lives can be lost. Deal with a couple of non-drug using 30 year olds will massive strokes and you will start to question many things in your own daily life.

I also understand your being on the defensive a bit. I actually haven't been as active on the site this week after reading a couple of the responses. I just don't understand why some attack when others are just expressing feelings of loss or concern.

I don't consider myself a big celebofile, but a loss such as this does have a tendency to make you take a pause. It should as a human anyway...any young life lost is always a waste and a sad event. Celebrity or not. But to lessen that loss just because a person is a celebrity is not a mark on the celebrity, but on the own person feeling the need to take a jab.

HL is also not an individual known for being difficult to anyone other than paparazzi. And who's to say they don't deserve what they get? I have never heard of production being slowed by his behaviors, but again I don't subscribe to any celeb gossip mags or such. I just see his volume of work and am impressed by what he accomplished in such a short time with very little negative press. Anyway, I am glad to see people that are affected by his life lived and lost. Anything to show we aren't as jaded a public as I am often afraid we've really become.

I agree with you on all counts. It seems to me that people are very ambivalent with regards to how serious pneumonia can be regardless of age. Add to that concern other medications and it can be a very dangerous combo.

It's funny you should mention that. I thought that I was ok and just had a high fever (41c). It wasn't until I woke up and found the ambo's standing over me trying to get me awake that I realised I might need to do what they were saying and go to the hospital.

At least I know better now, as they told me your muscles start to "melt" at 42c. Learn something new every day.

^Yikes!! I hope you are fully recovered now. I'm one to talk. I've had severe headaches the last five days in a row, but I'm still too stubborn to get them checked out...It's much easier just to take some Excedrine Migraine and ignore the issue! (I definitely don't want any MD to interfere in my coaster riding!!)

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring back an old topic but...

I just recently read about a woman named Shirley Phelps Roper and her terrible statements regarding Ledger's death. Phelps is a member of Westboro Baptist Church, a controversial group known for its vocal anti-homosexual, anti-American, anti-semetic, and racist activism. (Google GodHatesFags.com, GodHatesAmerica.com to get an idea of what she and her church believes.)

To quote her...

Phelps-Roper:

"He [God] executed vengeance on Heath Ledger. Heath Ledger was a rebel against his God and he had no cause.”

Interviewer:

“Wasn’t Heath Ledger just an actor portraying another person’s life, just like any other actor?”

Phelps-Roper:

“Look, he should have gone HUNGRY before he took a role like that. Heath Ledger is IN Hell! Make no mistake about this! Heath Ledger is in hell where the worms that eat on you never die, where the fire is never quenched, and where his torment will last forever and ever.”

Check out the rest of the interview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEvFmBkfDKw

How unbelievable sad. How can you say such things about the dead?

Ignoring a problem does not mean the problem will go away. But perhaps you are right in this extreme case. Obviously this lady and her followers are psychotic idiots and nothing in the world could ever change their viewpoints. Still, it's tragic to see and hear.

I disagree. Ignoring a problem does not mean the problem will go away. But perhaps you are right in this extreme case. Obviously this lady and her followers are psychotic idiots and nothing in the world could ever change their viewpoints. Still, it's tragic to see and hear.

It's only really a "problem" though if they're causing harm to someone or something by illegal means. Until then, it's just idiots rambling. At least that's the way I look at it. If I ignore them, "problem" solved. Plus, it's less stress on you.