TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^ I think they just kept the former station because it costs money to tear it down. Great America tends to leave things up until they really need to be taken down. Splashwater Falls and Great American Raceway remains stood until the land was cleared was X Flight, and the bottom of Trailblazers pole and its backdrop are still standing. I'm not saying it couldn't be reused, I'm just saying I wouldn't assume thats the only reason why it's still standing.

I don't think we'll be getting a Sky Screamer next year though. Other than many of the other SF parks getting them, I haven't seen much solid evidence to back it up. I've seen much more leaning towards something more kiddie and family oriented.

SFGAm also has height ordinances to contend with. We would have heard of a city council meeting in Gurnee by now if they were actively pursuing a Sky Screamer.

I saw someone at SFGAmWorld suggest that they are going to combine the two kids areas into one big kids area with new theming, whatever it may be. I can totally see and welcome that idea. If they could move around Revolution and Fiddler's Fling and demolish Magiquest, they could turn that whole area between American Eagle and Yukon Territory into one big kids area. That would free up a huge amount of space connecting to Iron Wolf's old lot that could be used for a big coaster that could be entered from Yukon Territory... or at least, that's what I'd like to see.

I honestly think, in the future that SFGAm might get either of the Flashback Boomerangs in the SF Chain. I would also think it's small enough to go into Iron Wolf's spot. Maybe SFOT's newly being-removed Flashback might go here in say, 2014? Just a Idea...

I honestly think, in the future that SFGAm might get either of the Flashback Boomerangs in the SF Chain. I would also think it's small enough to go into Iron Wolf's spot. Maybe SFOT's newly being-removed Flashback might go here in say, 2014? Just a Idea...

I thought it was rumored to go to Six Flags St. Louis

So this is kind of a long shot, but are there any other Northwestern students on TPR that want to get together for NU night at SFGAm? I'm an incoming freshman and I've never been to the park before, so I want to be with some other coaster nerds to try to get on everything, but I'm worried that I won't be able to find any one else willing to do so.

Unfortunately, while that should make no sense- based on how Six Flags has been distributing relocated rides as of late, it makes perfect sense. I'm not one of those who excessively exaggerates when it comes to Vekoma products- I like them, but the reasoning behind adding an older, less thrilling version of Deja Vu (with equally awful PPH capacity) only a few years after shipping Deja Vu out of the park (and chain for that matter) is exactly what I would expect out of this latest ride rotation schtick of theirs.

So this is kind of a long shot, but are there any other Northwestern students on TPR that want to get together for NU night at SFGAm? I'm an incoming freshman and I've never been to the park before, so I want to be with some other coaster nerds to try to get on everything, but I'm worried that I won't be able to find any one else willing to do so.

Congrats on getting into Northwestern. Great school.

I saw someone at SFGAmWorld suggest that they are going to combine the two kids areas into one big kids area with new theming, whatever it may be. I can totally see and welcome that idea. If they could move around Revolution and Fiddler's Fling and demolish Magiquest, they could turn that whole area between American Eagle and Yukon Territory into one big kids area. That would free up a huge amount of space connecting to Iron Wolf's old lot that could be used for a big coaster that could be entered from Yukon Territory... or at least, that's what I'd like to see.

I'd very much welcome that idea as well. Camp Cartoon looks dated and could use a major renovation. With Iron Wolf gone that would be a nice chunk of land to expand into. From my perspective, during my visit a couple weeks ago, I really thought Kidzopolis looked cramped and out of place in the old American Eagle tent. I'd say move those rides into part of a new kids/family area, relocate Revolution, and put a future SkyScreamer there as a new focal point to County Fair.

Bite your tongue! I'm already a little peeved with the rumor of it going to St. Louis. Putting it at Great America would result in equally similar sentiments.

I thought it was rumored to go to Six Flags St. Louis

SFNE currently has a spare boomerang too. I would imagine that they don't want to keep Flashback at SFNE any longer than they have to, and if they could move it to another SF park that has no boomerang and move the SFOT Flashback to SFStL then more power to them I guess. It may not happen for the 2013 season, but it can't be far off.

Ummmm.....we Had a Boomerang, and a pretty Kick-A#$ one at that (other than the downtime, but hey, I'll take it back any day in place of Buccanner Battle.) Not so sure I want a smaller, less thrilling version simply because (in the style of Greg Brady's "Johnny Bravo" days,) "Hey man, the suit fits". Ugh!

The video perplexes me. I can't imagine Six Flags making a big to-do about combining the kids' sections, like I'm hoping for, to make room for a bigger expansion in 2014. We may really be getting a Boomerang.

So if this is true, then the park had a GIB, got rid of it, and would now downgrade to a standard Boomerang? Not sure if I would laugh or feel sad about this, it just seems- odd. But whatever, it's another coaster.

Whizzer landmark coaster plaque, presented by ACE yesterday (hit "view image" and zoom into the text):

258518_218563858269254_1267475944_o.jpg

I can't even describe in words how much I love this coaster. It was running on a dime as always, even better and faster at night. At least one train (that I noticed) has had all it's steel work (hand rails, etc.) completely overhauled (blasted/painted, etc.) and much of it looks like brand new. A friend was commenting on how nicely the seats were cared for, all the upholstery, etc., is in perfect condition. I'm more and more in love with my home park, and so lucky to have this ride there. Now, if I were just closer to Mind Bender...

Man, I had a long detailed account of my first trip back to SFGAm in 13 years, and my laptop crapped just as I was wrapping it up.

But, it's after 1am, and I'm going back tomorrow and Tuesday...So here's a brief rundown:

Got to the park a little before 4pm, very crowded. I was parked in the back 1/4 of the back lot. Weather was mild and overcast, with a few sprinkles here and there.

List of rides in order ridden:

Logger's Run - 1 (35 minute wait)

Fiddler's Fling - 1 (waited 4 cycles)

American Eagle (Red) - 1 (Front seat, waited about 40 minutes)

Triple Play - 1 (waited 2 cycles)

Orbit - 1 (waited 2 cycles)

Demon - 1 (35 minute wait)

Viper - 1 (30 minute wait)

V2 - 1 (40 minute wait)

Batman - 1 (30 minute wait)

Whizzer - 1 (basically a walk-on @ 9:30pm)

Superman -1 (20 minute wait)

I got on Superman at 10:01pm. I think they ran 2 more trains after mine. Felt like I got a good 6 hours in.

Perhaps I'll have some thoughts tomorrow night. Right now, it's time for bed