TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Herschend Family Entertainment Closes Celebration City

Press Release:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herschend Family Entertainment Closes Celebration City,

Explores New Development Concepts in Branson

(Branson, MO 10/24/08) Due to a shift in business strategy, Herschend Family Entertainment (HFE) announced today the closure of Celebration City in Branson, Missouri. The company is already exploring various new development concepts for the site including an aquarium, other family attractions, re-theming the current park and also, destination retail and dining. The park will close at end of day on Saturday, October 25, the last scheduled operating day of the season.

HFE properties in the region employ more than 2,000 year-round and seasonal positions. Approximately 18 full-time positions are directly impacted by the closure, and the company is able to find new roles for most of those individuals. Seasonal employees will have the opportunity to interview for 2009 seasonal positions at Silver Dollar City, White Water and the Showboat Branson Belle.

“As with businesses across the country, we have had to carefully examine our future strategic plans. We need to make smart, forward-thinking decisions in a tough economic climate. HFE has operated attractions in Branson for nearly fifty years and our businesses there have continued to expand with the market growth. We are confident Branson will continue to grow as one of America’s premier vacation destinations for the long-term. As we plan the re-development of the Celebration City property, we will focus on projects with strong appeal to new and returning visitors to the market,” said Joel Manby, president and chief executive officer for Herschend Family Entertainment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So of course the question really is, what is going to happen with the coasters and rides, namely the GCI woodie?

FYI - Here is the TPR update we did in 2005 if you would like to know more about this park: http://www.themeparkreview.com/sdc2005/cc1.htm

--Robb

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully they can fit the Ozark Wildcat in somewhere at SDC, though it would probably be hard with all the terrain from what I remember. I wish it had been open when I went to Branson, looked like a fun park, or at least more fun than the many go-kart tracks there.

Looks like SDC will be getting a slightly used awesome GCI for next season!

(At least that's what I'm hoping!)

The rest of the park was not nearly up to Herschend's quality and this doesn't come as the biggest surprise in the world. It seems like a lot of these 'FEC' type places are in trouble.

That is too bad, but like Elissa said, the park while nice, was not up to the quality of other Herschend parks. The coasters looked nice, but I doubt Silver Dollar City will get Ozark Wildcat as the terrain would be an issue. I think a more likely place for it to get relocated to would be Wild Adventures. Hopefully the rides can find new homes instead of just being scrapped.

As long as they keep the OzCat and their firework show, I'll be happy! Some of the park looked really nice, and I hope they keep those parts. But some things just seemed like a carnival. I can't wait to see what they do with it. Hopefully they'll bring this place up to Hershend's top notch standards.

I'm very disappointed that the Celebration City concept didn't work out. There was some very quaint theming, and the original idea was great I thought. They just didn't stick to the plan, and the park never found it's footing. I don't agree that it wasn't up to the chain's standards. It wasn't as high-profile as SDC or DW, but I always found it to be a really nice place. If it weren't in Branson it would have gotten a lot more attention and celebration.

I'll be happy to see it turn into something more unique though, if that means OzCat stays and SDC is focused on more heavily in the rides department. I'll miss what little quaint theming the place used to have though... I always imagined that it would eventually become something like one of the classic trolley parks of old.

Ugh, I really wish it had been open while I was in Branson...

But it seems that changes won't be as extreme as they sounded in the article, so hopefully when I get back there the park will be ever better!