TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really appreciate being stapled, nor did I appreciate not having a choice of seats. If a guest requests a row, you would think that a park that is trying to turn itself around would be all about granting the request to keep the guest happy. Guess not!

I'm slightly curious why not allowing choice of row somehow means the park is no longer trying to turn itself around despite about a million or so examples to the contrary. Feel entitled much?

The preshow. It's too long and drawn out. Not only that, there is no way they will be able keep operating things how they currently have it where you HAVE to watch all three preshows before going into the station. It's staffing intensive and kills capacity. I suspect Terminator can't be doing more than 600pph right now (if that). Hopefully they can re-design things to where the preshows are on a loop and part of the queue.

Joey did you ever get a chance to go check out the Borg Invasion 4D ride at the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas? Terminator's pre-show reminded me of that a great deal. The only thing missing was people in Terminator robot costumes chasing us into the next pre-show room.

I bring that up because I felt like the whole pre-show was trying to be like that, instead of something like Simpsons Ride's pre-show where everything is on multiple loops. Seemed like to me that they were really trying for a complete 'experience' with the pre-show, and not just something entertaining to observe while waiting in line. If they redesign that pre-show into just having the footage on a loop, it changes the entire dynamic into something probably not originally intended.

I, too, was curious about seeing ops in ride-specific uniforms. I have never seen SFMM do that before, and I loved seeing that! I hope it does last, and is something SFMM does for all new attractions going forward. We'll see how things go going forward, but the amount of queue space beyond the bridge tells me that there is an intent to keep the whole ride experience how it presently is all around with only minor tweaks.

It would make me sad if there became a way to skip the preshow. The park spends $1 million on this most extensive theme & pre-show they've ever done. Why would the park then create some way to skip that? It makes no sense, and would only seem to appeal to people who don't care about the pre-show beyond their first ride on Terminator. Well, wasn't the general consensus about Disneyland's FastPass that it was a bad thing how it let people cut elaborately-themed queues? Seems like that's exactly what you want to see with Terminator, and I have a hard time understanding why. Why is skipping the queue/pre-show a bad thing with queues like Indiana Jones', and somehow something you want with Terminator?

My personal opinion is that the whole Terminator experience is awesome. From the first, I considered my ride experience to start when the big doors to the first pre-show room opened. From that moment, I had an immersive experience the likes of which I've never seen before at SFMM. Granted it was much more on the level of Haunt maze than anything, but even that is a huge step forward for SFMM. With the majority of people only going through the whole pre-show and ride one time on their visit, and making a limited number of vists per year, my opinion is that the intended pacing of the pre-show and getting on the ride & what not works just fine. Hope everyone who hasn't ridden gets to enjoy it soon!

Here's the thing:

If your sitting in a 30 minute, 45 minute, hour line, are you REALLY going to think the pre-show is too long???

Me ... not at all. Sure it was slightly annoying having to go through every time we wanted to ride, but what are you gonna do. I didn't mind the first few times as I was trying to get pics, and the storyline, etc. But for most people, it's going to be like part of the ride experience, and will make that wait of 30, 45, 60, 90 minutes seem worth it.

As far as not choosing a row, only once when we rode were we not able to choose a row, and that was our first ride. 3 of our 7 rides were in the front, 3 were in the back and the one in the middle of the train that was our first.

^^Entitled? For thinking that the park should grant a guests simple request? I don't agree with the whole design of the preshows, where what is IMO a poor design has led to a situation where they have no choice but to deny seat requests to keep every train full.

Seemed like to me that they were really trying for a complete 'experience' with the pre-show, and not just something entertaining to observe while waiting in line. If they redesign that pre-show into just having the footage on a loop, it changes the entire dynamic into something probably not originally intended.

I'm not arguing with the intent of the "experience." I think it's great they are trying to create experiences. But do you honestly believe guests care THAT much about the 'experience' vs. just the actual roller coaster? Is the 'experience' worth the big hit in capacity and labor budgets?

The park spends $1 million on this most extensive theme & pre-show they've ever done. Why would the park then create some way to skip that? It makes no sense, and would only seem to appeal to people who don't care about the pre-show beyond their first ride on Terminator.

I'm not suggesting they skip it. I just think they could get the same "value" in a shorter preshow on a loop. Ideally it would be designed so that if the crew is hauling ass, the preshow won't have to be repeated.

I, too, was curious about seeing ops in ride-specific uniforms. I have never seen SFMM do that before, and I loved seeing that!

Did that stay for the whole weekend? They've done T-shirts/hats for the crew on past media days too. I hope the park goes back to uniforms too...the B:TR butler shirts, ninja costumes, riddlers jumpsuits, superman flight suits, etc. were awesome touches.

The way I see it with the pre show is that if your already gonna spend more than 10 minutes in a queue for the ride, why not spend part of it in a well themed room with entertainment? I highly doubt that anytime in the near future are we gonna see wait times for terminator less than 10 minutes. I don't think the preshow is gonna add that much unnecasary wait, besides isn't the little extra wait worth it for a kick a$$ GCI?

And Jew, I agree with you that they should be able to just keep the show on a loop as long as the crew keeps the right pace, however that only works in a perfect world and that's not always the case.

The way I see it with the pre show is that if your already gonna spend more than 10 minutes in a queue for the ride, why not spend part of it in a well themed room with entertainment? I highly doubt that anytime in the near future are we gonna see wait times for terminator less than 10 minutes. I don't think the preshow is gonna add that much unnecasary wait, besides isn't the little extra wait worth it for a kick a$$ GCI?

Looks like someone gets it.

Going to ride this on Tuesday. Very excited.

Although, I have to say, not being able to choose where you sit is absolute crap. Absolute freaking crap. This isn't the Tower Of Terror - this is an effing wooden roller coaster with varying personalities depending on where you sit. In fact, most stations are designed with this "choose your own destiny" idea in mind. Even the layman knows that the front gives a highly different ride than the back, and not being able to choose would make any time spent in line completely nerve-racking. "Please not the middle, please not the middle..."

So, in a nutshell, I really hope they take care of the basics and allow guests to choose their seats. Or if anything, group 90% of guests but allow guests the option to choose if they so desire.

They assign seats on X2, as well. Out of the four times I've been on X2, three of those times they've assigned seats. The one that they didn't assign on was because there wasn't anyone else in line yet. I think it's fine to have assigned seating if it keeps the line moving. I hate it when I go up to the station to see a massive line of people in line for the front or back, blocking people from getting into other rows.

I finally rode Terminator yesterday morning. I am going to save my real review until after Termination Day when I can ride in multiple spots and have more time to look at everything in greater detail. BUT, as my first impression I have to say amazing job SFMM. The theming is great! But consider making the concrete below the Jeep in the second switch back look a little dirtier. A muddy jeep over clean concrete is a little mismatch. Preshows are great and I love it how the workers are in character. (Great job William as our pre-show attendant.) I rode in the second row and I have to say that I got minimal airtime. That is why I am saving my final judgement. I want to try different rows with different train weights. I LOVE the tunnels and actually really like the fire. The pacing is amazing. And the music was a little too quiet is seems they adjusted it too much. But ALL of this will be worked out over time. Sadly was unable to hear the Take the Tunnel.

Overall it is a really good solid ride. Wouldn't say it is amazing but definitely not a flop. Great coaster for SFMM's roster. Can't wait for Termination Day so that I can see more of this coaster. And hopefully I can get some back of train action.

I think what people want is a pre-show THEN a queing area that allows you to get in line for the seat you want...

The way people are describing it right now is like it is a guided preshow then you are told where to sit whereas if it were like dueling dragons in the nature you go thru the castle then you choose your fate and get in the line for the seat on the coaster you want...

They do guide you through and when you get up to the station they tell you where to sit. However I imagine over time they will let you choose where you can sit. They would just rather distribute people while they get through a busy opening couple of months. And the row queues are super short so if everyone wanted the front it would make the station that much more cramped. So they do assigned seating. Sad. But makes sense.

Well, that's the way I see it. If you're going out the exit and back into an empty queue, the pre-show would be annoying. But are you really going to be doing that on a real day at the park?

if for some reason Terminator Salvation the Ride has a so called no wait, the answer is simply turning off the TV's and letting people through the area with the TV's off or on a loop so people can watch it.

The preshow is part of the ride, it was made for it and it's probably going to be around for a bit, its like saying i'd like viper without the neck break.

my review is coming in the next hour or so with a few random pics.. stay tuned!!

Again, for those of you who are complaining about the pre-show, I will say it again...

The ride has only had people through it for 2 days now. They are tweaking things to make it as efficient as possible.

I know they tried at least two different configurations of how to move people through the line yesterday.

Give them some time to figure it out.

--Robb

I think they did a REALLY good on the preshow movies. The effects and editing are really good. But i've only been on one other preshow ride. The only I noticed was that some kids find the last room a little scary. Two were in each others arms at one point. But I think it helps to build anticipation for the ride.

They assign seats on X2, as well. Out of the four times I've been on X2, three of those times they've assigned seats. The one that they didn't assign on was because there wasn't anyone else in line yet. I think it's fine to have assigned seating if it keeps the line moving. I hate it when I go up to the station to see a massive line of people in line for the front or back, blocking people from getting into other rows.

As much as I love the front row on X2, I understand and appreciate the assigned seating, as I think it has really helped throughput. With the new trains, I have had a decent ride whatever row I'm assigned to, so I don't mind the seat assignments as I used to. (Now if they would only do assigned seating on Tatsu-there's a ride that really is great no matter what row you end up in and it would really help the line move, I think!)

In re the Terminator preshows-from what I can tell from watching the videos, I think they work great (I loved the line about Six Flags Magic Mountain changing hands several times!) I appreciate the fact that they are doing something to build the anticipation and to entertain those waiting in line (and indoors to boot, something that will likely be a relief in the Valencia heat in the summer).

The ride looks awesome, and I really look forward to riding it. It looks to be another winner in what so far has seemed to be a slew of good new coasters opening this year. And from all I have seen, Terminator looks like it's going to cause Ghostrider to fall out of my top ten coasters and take its place in my #1 wooden coaster spot!

Well we arrive, holy crap the pre show people! it's a new show NOOO!!!

couple peeps say charge the gates, some say riot, 99.9 percent of the crowd do not respond 2 the annoying corny pre show, for a park with a majority of extreme stuff, this is a kiddie pre show.. it was so non responsive they ask whos here for terminator? only one person responds.

charge!!! sweet no one around, going to be one of the first... oooooh no people outside the line... maybe its still testing? wrong!! haha..

some people went this path as well hoping to beat the wait but I guess taking the orient express isn't very smart. (just missed it when we went to it, had to wait a few mins) that girl wasn't tall enough to ride and had to wait the whole line.. (shouldn't the employee's in the front do this? especially being a new ride they should have a height checker to speed up loading, cause they actually pull the kids off the train when they get in to check)

pic after I rode of the front, they put up some barriers to keep people to the right I suppose, 90 minute wait when I entered the line (about 75 when I got off) surprising as they only run 2 trains, not sure if it's big or long enough for 3 in da future when they get a feel of how it goes...

AS FOR MY REVIEW, i'll keep it short seeing this is already long enough.

Overall 8.9/10

This is my new favorite woodie of course, (haven't been on that many as counter shows so that's easy to say) the pre show was above average, didn't expect it to be this way, after waiting in a 90 minute line which is totally appropriote for a hot summer day, as it drowns you with misty sprinkle godness lol. Some missing shade spots but line moves along rather well as long as the rides running. As for the Station, this was a epic fail in my book, looks kind of plain but whatever, got to ride the last row which i'm sure is the most intense for a woodie, was surprised that it wasn't GHOSTRIDER painful and ran smoothly with very cool out of your seats moments. As all of you will ride, dont get discouraged if the line is long, get in there ride this baby, GO GO GO ::RANDOM CHANTS:: wooooo

Well hope you liked my ^ that lol let me know the pros and cons for da future ones I might do...

As much as I love the front row on X2, I understand and appreciate the assigned seating, as I think it has really helped throughput. With the new trains, I have had a decent ride whatever row I'm assigned to, so I don't mind the seat assignments as I used to. (Now if they would only do assigned seating on Tatsu-there's a ride that really is great no matter what row you end up in and it would really help the line move, I think!)

In re the Terminator preshows-from what I can tell from watching the videos, I think they work great (I loved the line about Six Flags Magic Mountain changing hands several times!) I appreciate the fact that they are doing something to build the anticipation and to entertain those waiting in line (and indoors to boot, something that will likely be a relief in the Valencia heat in the summer).

The ride looks awesome, and I really look forward to riding it. It looks to be another winner in what so far has seemed to be a slew of good new coasters opening this year. And from all I have seen, Terminator looks like it's going to cause Ghostrider to fall out of my top ten coasters and take its place in my #1 wooden coaster spot!

pre loading is a line time saving matter, only problem is, theme parks love to save money and that means cutting the preloader unless it's craaaazy, I feel they can simply do what California Screamin does, and thats making the front row a longer gated area, and if requested they throw them in there, and seeing for other rides people like the back do the same for that area.. in general I say if a line gets over 30 minutes wait a preloader is necessary but overlooked...

AS FOR MY REVIEW...

Overall 8.9/10

Hmmmmmm... I wonder how Terminator missed a 9 by .1 of a point in your book?

I've been reading the reviews you guys have posted and it sounds like SFMM has a great new addition to the park. I'm planning to head over next Tuesday with a couple of my friends to beat the weekend crowds. I'm really looking forward to riding Terminator as I've read of it being a smooth and fast paced woodie that doesn't debilitates one's spinal cord after riding * cough Ghostrider cough*

Diana and I took a trip out to SFMM this afternoon and got two rides on Terminator---once during the day, then finished our visit with one ride in the dark. Each time, we waited about 90 minutes, but both times, something went wrong and held up the line. We didn't mind so much because we knew that new rides sometimes have a kink or two.

My first ride was in Row 9, and the second one was in Row 5. I'll have to try out the very front and very back at some point.

It was nice to see our own William (wrs28330) working inside the Terminator station. And speaking of the station, it did seem a bit smallish, but it also worked well. The fly-through wasn't as loud as I'd imagined it to be.

Our impression was that it was a great ride with some nice little pops of air here and there. The turnaround off of the lift was faster than it looked in all of the videos I've seen, and the first drop gets you up to speed pretty quickly despite not being so steep.

Pacing is excellent, with no slowdowns during the ride. The special effects in the first tunnel were impressive, especially at night. Funny thing, during the ride, I wasn't really paying attention to the soundtrack, so I can't make any valid comments about that.

The trains are quite comfortable and the overall ride is as smooth as can be expected from a woodie. But it's a GCII, so... 'nuff said.

But this has merely whetted my appetite for June 28...

Eric

i am dissapointed that no one has mentioned or caught the "EASTER EGG" in the 3rd part of the pre show!

it's a cheap novilty but fun to play with, im not going to give it away, it worked for me, some might have trouble with it. keep your face clear of anything that may block facial features, hold still, and look into the camera/moniter, it will show your season pass, no not really, but you'll get a kick out of what you see!

any one else catch it?

im an electronics junky, i noticed the delay between the camera and monitor, and investigated it.

had a great time sat and sunday well see if i get monday too.

the more I think about it, and after reading everyone's comments from opening weekend thus far, I think they turned the audio WAY down, from whatever it was set on for media day. Both times I rode I didn't really hear much after the lift. As a few people have mentioned, I couldn't hear the "TAKE THE TUNNEL" part either. Interesting enough, when I got off the ride it was Jay or Neal that asked me if I heard the "TAKE THE TUNNEL" part. I told them no, and he said, "we might need to work on that" so hopefully they bring the audio up more.

As far as the comments for the pre-show go. Unless it comes down to a staffing issue, I don't see why they would just bypass it. Tower of Terror comes to mind. There have been plenty of times I've been to DCA and Tower had no line, but they don't just leave the library doors open for people to walk straight through, you have to watch the show everytime. Now granted Terminator only has the one main door in and then you're enclosed all the way to the station so they could just let people walk straight through and just catch a loop of everything, but it would lessen the experience. I could see them making an exception for us at Termination day, but I don't see that kind of thing happening for awhile during normal operation.