TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

^ Love the new album "Contra". There are a bunch of people over here who don't know who they are but they have heard some of there stuff like A-Punk. Cousins is an awesome song too!

I've pretty much memorized Contra. My favorites are California English Pt. 2, Giant, and I think Ur A Contra.

Also, if you want a song stuck it your head all day, here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgE0fDNtvqY

Who here is a fan of Soundtracks? If you are, Favorite Composer? Favorite Score?

The whole LOST soundtrack is simply amazing. There are songs on there that make you happy and songs on there that make you cry. I also love the UP soundtrack. Both are composed by Michael Giacchino.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to them for a while now, but I'm totally addicted to Mumford & Sons. Their music is so absorbing and so easy to get lost in. To be honest, I'm still surprise at how popular they have become in mainstream radio instead of just the pub & bar scene. I can't wait to see what's in store for them.

Okay, so Lady Gaga's new video Telephone came out this past week and I want to hear your opinions. The video is a continuation of Paparazzi, so you should probably watch that one before you watch Telephone.

I love it! Both Paparazzi and Telephone were directed by Jonas Akerlund, and you can tell that he really understands her vision. I think that she is revolutionizing the pop industry in a way that Madonna did. The way she uses music, film, fashion, and technology to create these art installations is simply amazing. Okay, I'm done raving now. What do y'all think of it?

I think that she is revolutionizing the pop industry in a way that Madonna did. The way she uses music, film, fashion, and technology to create these art installations is simply amazing.

Do people really think she is revolutionary or do they hear someone else say she is revolutionary and repeat it without really thinking about it? I kind of get her being "out there" versus a Britney Spears, in terms of fashion and style at least. But it's not like she's doing something countless others haven't done. The whole "Lady Gaga is brilliant" thing always strikes me as short sighted. These two videos especially just seem to be a mish mash of pseudo-shock and rehashed movie clichés. I guess I just don't find them to be that interesting.

For what it's worth, I think "Bad Romance" is a really good pop song. I just don't think she's some sort of visionary that's changing the face of music.

^I really do think that she is changing the way that people see pop music. For so long pop music has been such a fake genre where someone else does all the work for the artist (writing, producing, ect.) and they are just a face. Gaga writes and co-produces every one of her songs and is a great piano player. Not to mention that she designs a lot of what she wears. She also sings live (and is good at it), which is a thing that a lot of pop singers don't do. I respect her a lot.

If any other pop artist would have made a song called Telephone, we would get a literal interpretation of the song where they are in a club with flashy lights and no storyline talking on a cell phone. She may not be doing something countless others haven't done, but in the age we're in now, she is a nice pick-me-up.

She may not be doing something countless others haven't done, but in the age we're in now, she is a nice pick-me-up.

I agree with this statement. I do like her and I find her interesting, I just think if we're calling her a visionary cuz she writes her own songs and she makes weird outfits, we're setting the bar pretty low. I'm curious to see what kind of music she creates next, though. I think she has the potential, right now I just think she's sort of just producing fairly standard pop songs and the "image" part of her is overshadowing the music, which probably won't hold up over time.

Hey guys, my sister's boyfriend (TC) has a company called Majestic Productions. He has a website: http://maj-pro.com

He graduated from Full Sail about a year ago with a Bachelor's Degree in Sound Engineering and he's trying to get work with whoever he can. He mainly works with Rap Artists, but he also does his own music. If you go onto the website and under Portfolio he has some songs that he has done. They are incredible if you want my opinion and he even has live recording sessions every now and again. I just thought I would try to get his name out there to anyone who's interested.

I'm going to add into this Lady Gaga conversation because I have said that "Lady Gaga is brilliant". But I have said that because I admire her vision, not only her music (which I think is great, btw).

Like nagro5 said, she writes music that are commonly taken literal, but there's always a hidden meaning to her songs. Well, most of her songs anyway. She's by no means the most amazing musician ever, but she's pretty damn talented -- both musically and artistically, in my opinion. Watch some videos of her playing acoustic versions of her songs, they're awesome. Regarding her art, if you really pay attention to the little details, you'd notice that there's (sometimes) hidden meaning in not only her songs, but the way she dresses and her performances. A prime example is how her bloody VMA's performance was a commentary on how the paparazzi and fame in general slowly kill a lot of major celebrities. It could be seen as attention-seeking, but it's just an example of how she expresses herself. And I respect any artist for expressing themselves in ways most wouldn't understand.

She's refreshing. Pop music over the years has been so, well, 'blah'. It's nice to see someone that's so dedicated to their music and art, especially in the genre of music that she's in. She's not revolutionizing pop music, but she's bringing back some flavor into a genre that has become so bland.

That's just my thoughts!

On a completely different note, I'm so excited for Streetlight Manifesto's new album this week.