TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

^Heh, I was at the park that day. I remember pulling into the parking lot and being surprised when I saw that. Also got a rollback on Poltergeist once

I guess I can say I was one of those lucky ones also to experience Poltergeist rollback on Opening Day 2012 (As I assume it rarely happens)!

For the IRat, NTAG, and Outlaw Run fans (Which should be everyone), RMC is now selling apparel!

Didn't want to create a new thread just for this.

576617_534408203262971_54369626_n.jpg

944739_534407573263034_909220097_n.jpg

Ordering instructions are on the RMC Facebook

Edited by DJeXeL

For the IRat, NTAG, and Outlaw Run fans (Which should be everyone), RMC is now selling apparel!

Didn't want to create a new thread just for this.

576617_534408203262971_54369626_n.jpg

944739_534407573263034_909220097_n.jpg

Ordering instructions are on the RMC Facebook

I am going to love all the rumors at all the parks where people wear these!

Well I went and got my season pass today and got in two quick rides on IR, one in the very back (right) and the second in row two. This was my first Rocky Mountain ride (haven't ridden many coasters in the past decade) so I didn't quite know what to expect. I can see what all the fuss is about, judging by IR they are outstanding coaster engineers and deliver a ride that I can only describe as a kind of controlled insanity. In spite of the very quick pacing it doesn't exert any uncomfortable forces or roughness on you so it's extremely re-rideable. Though I haven't been on many intense Intamins the iRat is up there or even better than any B&M I've ever ridden, my favorite of which was probably Montu '96.

You've pretty much seen the reviews and I'll spare you a rehash other than my opinion (which I didn't expect) that I generally preferred the front car to the back seat after the first drop, it seemed to have a bit more oomph through the ride and the drop off the cliff into the tunnel is particularly brilliant in the front. And I do have to mention the barrel roll, WOW, B&M has been dethroned, it is my favorite inversion on any coaster and is excellent in both the front and back. One poster pages back suggested that the barrel roll should have perhaps gone at the drop off the cliff instead of the rise; I could not disagree more and would humbly propose Rocky Mountain knew exactly what they were doing in placing the elements on the ride where they are. That also goes for that wonderful pop into the brake run, that was fun and made for a great ending.

Now what I would like to mention is that probably 99% of my rides on the old Rattler were back in '92 and '93 (mostly '92), and I wanted to try to compare the '92 Rattler to the new steel version (and no doubt, this IS a steel coaster, hy-brid shmybrid). To sum it up, the new ride is vastly better than the original and the only time I felt they bore the slightest resemblance to each other was in the pretty forceful fan curve back down into the bottom of the park (you know, the curve that used to sway). Everything else about the ride, including the first drop, has a very different feel.

Which brings up the inevitable: how does the first drop on the new ride compare to the original '92 version? The first drop on the original Rattler was, after all, by far the best part of the original ride and widely praised. My first ride on the Rattler was on the opening weekend in 1992, and it was in the very back seat, just like today. And I remember the original drop very well, as if it were just a couple of years ago.

The two are very different.

The new one yanks you over at a really steep angle and has a wonderful little toss to the side as you start down, which you appreciate more in the back. It wastes no time AT ALL getting down to business - before you know it you're 170' lower than you were a second before. You get a great drop in the back and a nice gliding freefall sensation in the front.

The drop on the '92 Rattler, though, was more of a psych job. In the front I think the new ride has the better first drop but in the back the '92 Rattler still remains my favorite first drop of all time. It certainly wasn't because of a huge amount of airtime going down - the new ride has gobs more air in the back seat. Rather it was the way it dropped you, in the back seat as you crested the top of the lift hill you could already see the front cars turning out to the left and beginning the descent. Then it was your turn, you started turning and falling, getting yanked down as the drop got gradually steeper and steeper until the very last moment when you made a very tight forceful pullout (too forceful obviously). It was like you were going to crash and die and it got you every time. I have never seen it replicated on another coaster though I have yet to ride many.

The Iron Rattler doesn't have it either - if it did it would probably be another class action waiting to happen - but the drop is still loads of fun, especially in the back. It's probably even better than the slightly modified '93 Rattler. Other than that everything else about the new ride is so vastly better than Rattler '92 they're really beyond comparison (ding dong the helix is dead!) and my favorite of the too-short list of coasters I've ridden. I suppose next I'll have to try out the Texas Giant, which I haven't been on since 1993. The ending used to be great when it was running fast.

Just rode Iron Rattler Sunday morning.

It's a great ride. Probably in my top 15 or so steel coasters. I think I slightly prefer the New Texas Giant, but they're both excellent. My favorite parts are the airtime coming up into the first hill, the inversion, and the last hill off the cliff. For some reason they were only running one train (is something wrong with the 2nd train?) so the line became insanely long.

Does the park get crowded on Fridays in June? Even though I go to the park all the time I have never been on a Friday in the summer months. And if so, I have friends coming from Mississippi to visit Texas for the first time and is it worth it for them to get a Flash Pass to enjoy the whole park including the shows due to the park being crowded on a Friday?

Does the park get crowded on Fridays in June? Even though I go to the park all the time I have never been on a Friday in the summer months. And if so, I have friends coming from Mississippi to visit Texas for the first time and is it worth it for them to get a Flash Pass to enjoy the whole park including the shows due to the park being crowded on a Friday?

The crowds were minimal today.

I was at the park for the Takis hot summer night thing. It was fun, got 13 rides on Goliath and 8 on Boomerang

Cant wait to visit the park tomorrow (6/21) with friends that never been to Texas!!

I think I saw you, White Mississippi State shirt?

If you could pick out one thing from the first drop, what would it be?

Don't quite understand the question, do you mean what part of the first drop stands out the most or if there was anything about the first drop we could take away/replace? If it's the latter I'd say nothing (though I would be curious to experience it if they didn't slow the chain down at the top). If you meant the former I'd say it's that little twist you get while going down, especially in the back where you're really getting yanked down fast.

The first drop happens SO fast - definitely more quickly than I was expecting - you don't have much time to process what just hit you, unlike the barrel roll or drop off the cliff which last longer.

Yes, I was asking for the former. Thanks for your reply. Does that twist make that much of a difference though? What does it feel like? Does it get you out of your seat or something?

Oh at 81 degrees your rear is going out of that seat, twist or not. SFFTfan has it right, the drop happens so fast you don't have much of a chance to process it, it's not the prolonged torture like the '92 Rattler was (what is?) but yeah that twisting through the drop adds a little something in the back where the intensity is highest. It also keeps you from seeing where you're going until it's too late.