TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

- Even though they have an indoor queue with several switchbacks, they're having the standby queue form on the main midway outside the building. This is a bummer since the inside queue has some theming, is air-conditioned, and the midway got pretty congested. I think it would really help to either find a way to let the Flash Pass riders enter through the exit or remove Flash Pass entirely from this ride.

I noticed this, I wonder why. Maybe something to do with it getting too hot in there, or firecode occupancy in the line?

^ Thanks I figured it was to have a merge point.

Do you know if they considered routing the Flash Pass and ADA passes through the exit?

They considered it but decided against it because they did not want an overflow of people in the gift shop.

I had an hour to kill before meeting friends in Springfield, so I decided to stop into Six Flags. I figured that'd be enough time to get a ride on Superman and Wicked Cyclone.

Go figure they were both broken down, but against all odds Goliath was somehow running. It seemed like a sign I should ride it.

I used to defend this ride. But I now see the light. Ouch.

I never thought I'd visit SFNE and only ride Goliath.

IMG_20190628_202008.thumb.jpg.f8d1e3e211d4539379082a3f1099aaa0.jpg

What are the odds this is running with Superman and Wicked Cyclone being closed?

I had an hour to kill before meeting friends in Springfield, so I decided to stop into Six Flags. I figured that'd be enough time to get a ride on Superman and Wicked Cyclone.

Go figure they were both broken down, but against all odds Goliath was somehow running. It seemed like a sign I should ride it.

I used to defend this ride. But I now see the light. Ouch.

I never thought I'd visit SFNE and only ride Goliath.

I truly cannot wait for the day they finally pull the plug on this piece of shit. Literally anything else would be better than that waste of space. Which is really sad because the ride kicked ass with the old train.

Goliath is a money pit at this point. I was there yesterday (didn't ride it, especially not with the gnawing headache that was already hindering my enjoyment of the day) and I don't think I even saw it go out with a full train once because the line was so short. No one likes the thing on the rare occasions where it is operational, and even if they brought back the old trains, the damage was done a while ago.

The uncertainty of the potential storm coupled with the often-brutal sun did keep a lot of people in the water park yesterday, but when I was sitting on a bench near it, the line was so short that it never filled up the train. I'll have to see if it's like that on a busier day, but I really wouldn't be surprised if the word is out that it beats the hell out of its riders.

We went to SFNE yesterday late afternoon / evening for the 4th fest. When pulling in the preferred lot was packed. I thought the park was going to be packed but to my surprise it wasn’t. Longest waits were Cyborg, mainly due to capacity. I would have skipped but others in our group hadn’t been on it yet so we waited. I believe it was around 45 mins. The other was Blizzard River which we hit first. Maybe 20 mins at most for that. Went to Cyclone and walked right on. Superman was maybe 10 mins and Harley Quinn about the same. Fireworks went a solid 15 mins and were overall good.

One thing I noticed is that the red train on Superman was making a pretty load squeaky / grinding sound in several sections of the course. Blue didn’t have that sound at all. Would really like to see them invest in new trains for next year. Outside of that operations were good and we had a great time at the park.

There is nothing wrong with the trains. Both trains are running new urmet polyurethane wheels this season which make a squealing noise against the paint on certain portions of the ride. The noises can be louder or quieter based on the weather, speed or weight distribution of the train. It’s a loud noise at times but there’s nothing wrong with the trains.

^Yea I had heard different wheels were being used so that might just be it. Just strange why it was only one train doing it consistently in the same spots each time. In other visits I hadn’t heard it at all but Friday was definitely the most humid visit for me so far this year. Regardless I think new trains with the newer Intamin design would be an upgrade to this already awesome coaster.

I rode Superman today and it definitely is a sound I've never heard on any coaster before. I know there is nothing wrong, but it's definitely unique.

Ride was running well, and no lines during the time we were there in the morning.

Wicked Cyclone was a bit sluggish (for an RMC... meaning it's still crazy) in the morning.... probably because we were the only two in the train, lol. My wife was underwhelmed, probably because she gets to ride Steel Vengeance quite often... but I still enjoy all the RMCs they are all unique in their own ways and I appreciate that.

Rode Joker on the purple side and got 0 flips. The people we were facing, though, had an insane ride. No fair.

Wicked Cyclone tends to run better in cooler temperatures. I'm not sure if they use different wheels, but it runs its best in April and October.

Joker's green side is the wilder side. That side consistently gives 3-4 flips (usually on the top section) while purple tends to have less flips. When purple does flip it tends to be on the raven turns.

Visited the park today (Sunday the 15th), came away believing that this is the worst park in the chain right now in terms of operations, which is a real shame because up until now, I've never really bad a bad experience here ever, and I actually really love this park. The only exception was Superman, which was the only place where there seemed to be any sense of urgency or employee training.

Superman was definitely running well, the third and fourth hills were giving great airtime even in the back. Also the first time I've felt meaningful airtime in the helix transitions since probably before the trains were changed.

Wicked Cyclone was running sluggish in the orange train in the morning, but I got some pretty great rides later in the day, especially in the blue train. This is definitely one of the better steel RMCs in my opinion. The Sunday evening crew, however, should all be either terminated or re-trained. They were more focused on going up to the operator's booth and standing around to have personal conversations than with getting the trains dispatched. Restraint checkers on the left side of the platform were unnecessarily crossing over the train to go joke around with the employees on the other side, including the booth operator. At one point, someone who was either just friends with some of them or was an off-duty employee out of uniform went through the exit, crossed the train, and was chatting with them all in the operator's booth.

Same with Batman. The train would be in the brake run for so long that you'd think they went down for maintenance. I walked from the teacups/in front of Joker to the entrance without seeing a train go, made it all the way behind the coaster before they finally dispatched. Again, same thing. Personal conversations/general joking around happening between the staff and not much working going on. One of the girls who was a restraint checker was also literally jumping off her feet and putting her full body weight against every restraint she checked, which every guest was complaining hurt.

Eventually I'll do a trip report from my visit. I hope the park can fix these problems, because this is an outstanding park and having these things affect guest experience and set them back shouldn't be happening.

^ I agree Superman's ops have been fantastic this year. It's usually the park's strongest crew in my opinion. As for Batman, I've noticed that ride having a longer posted queue than Superman on most days which is something I've never seen before. I'm guessing the ops you mentioned could be the reason.

Wicked Cyclone is one of the rare coasters that runs its best in cooler temperatures. I thought it was just SFNE messing with the wheels during its first year, but it has consistently run a bit slower in the summer now year after year.

Damn. I was hoping to head up there with the family yesterday, but got sidelined by an unexpected stomach illness. From the sounds of the operations, it may have been for the best. Hopefully I'll be able to try again some upcoming weekend.

Now, keep in mind I haven't been there for a couple years now, since before Six Flags started this whole tiered membership charade... do they still do the staggered early entry for season passholders and members? IE, let everyone "into" the park early but rope off Rockville / Thunderbolt & DC / Crackaxle, then let passholders in 10-15 minutes before the actual start? Or has that gone the way of the dodo now?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the waterpark portion of the park? Does it usually get super crowded and mindnumbing? Any can't-miss slides?

^ I haven't gotten there for opening yet this year so I can't speak to the entry process, but I can speak on the water park.

Their most unique slide is Typhoon, their water coaster. On most days, it'll have a queue to the bottom of the tower (1 hour). It has some tall drops, but I don't remember any air and the uphill portions are a conveyor belt as opposed to the water jets or LIMs on most.

As for the other slides, Swiss Family Toboggan is one of those family raft slides, but it swings pretty high up the trough. Tornado is good albeit no different than other funnels. Bonzai Pipeline is visually stunning, but it's quite rough on your back.

I usually don't go to the water park since it adds the hassle of bringing a bag and dealing with the crowds, but it is pretty big and has a lot of slides.

^^Typhoon didn't operate yesterday, at least not when we were in the water park and I never saw it going when walking past a few times. One thing I forgot to mention...the water in the wave pool (the one with the large jets all around) was really murky and gross-looking. We also went into Hurricane Bay, the half lazy river/half pool thing, and the water there, while clearer than in the wave pool, was also cloudy.