TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PETA trying to buy Seaworld

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This basically confirms what I've always thought about PETA: It's not about "hey, look at the plight of animals," it's about "hey, look at what WE'RE doing!" It's all narcissism.

Yes, it's very sad. I'm generally very much in support of animal welfare causes: Shutting down puppy mills, controlling the pet population, hate fur unless you live where you need it (like Siberia), would like to see Mike Vick rot in jail for the rest of his natural life, etc.

But, these "animal rights" wackos who advocate for animals being considered equivalent to humans are out of their brains. No pets, no medical research, let's bomb research labs in California, etc. If animals have rights equivalent to humans, would you have to face "deerslaughter" charges carrying similar penalties to manslaughter every time a deer jumped out in front of your car?

And laughs were had by all.

I'm with ginzo on this one, there is, what I feel, an acceptable amount of wanting animals to be taken care of and I think everyone has the same feelings when it comes to unnecessary cruelty (like underground dog fights). I think that maybe PETA started as a good idea but something must have happened between the, "Hey I have a great idea!" phase and the organization phase.

Anyone see that south park episode about PETA? I sometimes think that episode is not entirely false

This is ludicrous. Anheuser-Busch is a leading contributor to conservation and Sea World's animals are extremely well taken care of by high qualified staff.

The other day I was flipping through some youtube vids taken at Sea World, and I can't believe how many people comment about Sea World committing "animal cruelty" for making these animals "entertain" humans. Sea World educates its guests first, then entertains. The critics simply don't know what they're talking about. SWO has unmatched top-of-the-line rehabilitation facilities. Nobody ever mentions those...

This is ludicrous. Anheuser-Busch is a leading contributor to conservation and Sea World's animals are extremely well taken care of by high qualified staff.

The other day I was flipping through some youtube vids taken at Sea World, and I can't believe how many people comment about Sea World committing "animal cruelty" for making these animals "entertain" humans. Sea World educates its guests first, then entertains. The critics simply don't know what they're talking about. SWO has unmatched top-of-the-line rehabilitation facilities. Nobody ever mentions those...

I agree with you 100%. The animals at the Busch parks are very well taken care of and you step up to any one of their animal exhibits and there are always members of their education department who gives speeches on the animals and are readily available to answer any of our questions concerning everything from the diet of the animals to laws that protects them.

Another note is that SWO is the leading facility in rescuing injured manatees in Florida. Their entire manatee exhibit contains manatees that were injured. The manatees are rehabilitated there and then return to the wild unless their injuries are too severe.

I don't understand where all the animal cruelty claims are coming from as I don't know of any park that not only thrills us, but educate us about the animals we share our world with.

I have a feeling that many of the show animals, like the killer whales, dolphins, seals, etc., highly enjoy entertaining the crowds. It is like Horseracing, those horses LOVE the competition and are spoiled beyond belief.

If it is cruel to use animals for entertainment then we can't allow any more movies or concerts to be put on!

PETP

People for the Ethical Treatment of People

Founded Fri. Aug. 22nd 2008

I agree with you 100%. The animals at the Busch parks are very well taken care of and you step up to any one of their animal exhibits and there are always members of their education department who gives speeches on the animals and are readily available to answer any of our questions concerning everything from the diet of the animals to laws that protects them.

Another note is that SWO is the leading facility in rescuing injured manatees in Florida. Their entire manatee exhibit contains manatees that were injured. The manatees are rehabilitated there and then return to the wild unless their injuries are too severe.

I don't understand where all the animal cruelty claims are coming from as I don't know of any park that not only thrills us, but educate us about the animals we share our world with.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Isn't Sea World, like the leader in ocean conservation or something? I mean they are always talking about being kind to the animals and the environment, so I can't see how anyone can call animal cruelty. Plus, most of Sea World's animals are either born there or saved from some cruel fate. They aren't capable of surviving the wild at this point, so wouldn't releasing the animals be more cruel than keeping them in there?

Wow, that is just dumb. Also, I was speaking to a friend of mine whom is a member of PETA, and she quoted me these "facts" (presumably off of the PETA website, but I'm not sure)

"Sea World, which owns most of the captive orcas and dolphins in the United States, has one of the worst histories of animal care. At least 39 orcas and 54 dolphins have died at U.S. Sea World facilities. The aquarium industry worldwide has claimed the lives of at least 150 orcas and 963 dolphins. And until it was exposed to the public, Sea World routinely shot and killed hybrid ducks who flew in and joined Sea World’s resident bird population." <-I don't know where the hell they got that, but can anyone here prove/disprove that?

"This place is more like a funeral parlor than a theme park. Before it even opened, 31 animals died, including two cranes who were run over by trucks and four cheetah cubs and two otters who swallowed poison.

Conservation? Schmonservation. In order to build snack bars and cages for imported animals, Disney bulldozed tens of thousands of acres of wildlife habitat, killing native gopher tortoises and other animals." <-She also quoted me that, it is supposedly about Disney's Animal Kingdom, but I don't believe it. Again, can anyone prove/disprove?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Isn't Sea World, like the leader in ocean conservation or something? I mean they are always talking about being kind to the animals and the environment, so I can't see how anyone can call animal cruelty. Plus, most of Sea World's animals are either born there or saved from some cruel fate. They aren't capable of surviving the wild at this point, so wouldn't releasing the animals be more cruel than keeping them in there?

Thats true, most of SeaWorld animals were born in captivity so they wouldn't survive if they were released in the wild. Years ago SeaWorld use to catch wild animals but now they have made a commitment not to catch wild animals. Just about all the animals you see in SeaWorld now were either born there, rescued from the wild and are rehabilitating, or brought in from others zoos.

Wow, that is just dumb. Also, I was speaking to a friend of mine whom is a member of PETA, and she quoted me these "facts" (presumably off of the PETA website, but I'm not sure)

"Sea World, which owns most of the captive orcas and dolphins in the United States, has one of the worst histories of animal care. At least 39 orcas and 54 dolphins have died at U.S. Sea World facilities. The aquarium industry worldwide has claimed the lives of at least 150 orcas and 963 dolphins. And until it was exposed to the public, Sea World routinely shot and killed hybrid ducks who flew in and joined Sea World’s resident bird population." <-I don't know where the hell they got that, but can anyone here prove/disprove that?

"This place is more like a funeral parlor than a theme park. Before it even opened, 31 animals died, including two cranes who were run over by trucks and four cheetah cubs and two otters who swallowed poison.

Conservation? Schmonservation. In order to build snack bars and cages for imported animals, Disney bulldozed tens of thousands of acres of wildlife habitat, killing native gopher tortoises and other animals." <-She also quoted me that, it is supposedly about Disney's Animal Kingdom, but I don't believe it. Again, can anyone prove/disprove?

I have not heard anything about the SeaWorld part but couldn't it have been that a good amount of the orcas and dolphins that died in captivity could have been natural causes?

As for Animal Kingdom, I never heard about the poison before but I do remember seeing in the news and reading in the newspaper about a trunk that ran over some birds (I don't remember if they were cranes) before the park opened. I remember PETA jumped all over that event as well.

Sea World routinely shot and killed hybrid ducks who flew in and joined Sea World’s resident bird population."
That has to be the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. It's all about publicity, I find it extremely, extremely hard to believe that this would happen.