TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PETA trying to buy Seaworld

Whale of an offer: Buy SeaWorld, free animals

Sara K. Clarke | Sentinel Staff Writer

August 20, 2008

Forget about freeing just Willy. An animal-rights group says a supporter wants to buy one or more SeaWorlds from the theme parks' soon-to-be new owner so it can free all the animals, even killer whales.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says an undisclosed donor wants to buy at least one SeaWorld park, then free the animals and replace them with virtual-reality or animatronic displays.

"We are very interested in this offer because the intelligent, social animals imprisoned at SeaWorld are . . . denied everything that is natural and important to them -- all in the name of 'entertainment,' " PETA wrote Aug. 14 to Carlos Brito, CEO of InBev NV/SA. Belgium-based InBev, one of the world's largest brewers, is to acquire the SeaWorld parks as part of its $52 billion acquisition of Anheuser-Busch Cos.

PETA spokeswoman Lisa Wathne said the Norfolk, Va., group's donor wants to remain anonymous and doesn't want to disclose how much he could pony up. "We don't know how high this donor will go, but he is serious. Whales, dolphins and other marine life are very important to him," she said.

An orca's freedom won't come cheap: Stock analyst Jack Russo of Edward D. Jones & Co. said Busch Entertainment Corp., Anheuser-Busch's Orlando-based theme-park unit, could be worth $5 billion or $6 billion. In 2001, the company sold SeaWorld Ohio for $110 million.

Fred Jacobs, a Busch Entertainment spokesman, said allegations of animal cruelty are unfounded. He termed the offer "a publicity stunt."

Could this actually happen? Sea World would lose ALOT of business if this went though I think anyways. I'd almost rather see Seaworld close and have the rides moved somewhere else than to go and see animatronic animals..Just wanted to put this out there.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at a lost of words for this. I mean I'm for animal rights and safety like the next person but come on, there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of other places where there are animals that need rescue. But Sea World? The animals at Sea World are well cared for. Instead of some PETA member wanting to dish out millions or billions to free the Sea World animals they really need to take a bigger look and see that that amount of money can help save animals more in need. I remember when I worked at our zoo and PETA got involved .

I'm all for animal rights and all but PETA just takes it too far sometimes.

If PETA were to succesfully pull this off, just think of how many people will think twice about what they do and what they stand for. There is much love for Sea World just like Disney. If an organization were to change or close one of their favrite parks (Sea World), it would spell nothing but trouble.

I really think PETA needs to back out of this one, I can see nothing but trouble ahead if something like this happens.

First: Hahahahahahahaha!

Second:

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says an undisclosed donor wants to buy at least one SeaWorld park, then free the animals and replace them with virtual-reality or animatronic displays.

So do these people just replace everything cool with fake stuff and claim it's just as good? Because a tofu dog isn't nearly as good as a beef hot dog. And virtual animals would be so lame. Come touch the robotic ray!

This is downright rediculous. How low will PETA go? You know the animals within SeaWorld are better cared for then they would be in the wild, and to the ones that were born in SeaWorld, it would be suicide to let them out into the wild on their own.

As I said in the InBev thread, PETA keeps diluting any good work it may be doing with lamebrained stunts like this. That's what happens when a well-meaning organization is taken over by its more extreme factions.

I think Gortons of Gloucester should buy Sea World.

^I don't think it was taken over by extremists so much as it was founded and is still run by a certified moonbat, Ingrid Newkirk.

Newkirk is best known for the issue awareness campaigns she organizes on behalf of PETA, in order to promote animal rights and veganism. In her will, for example, she has directed that her skin be turned into wallets, her feet into umbrella stands, and her flesh into "Newkirk Nuggets," then grilled on a barbecue.[3] "We are complete press sluts," she told The New Yorker. "It is our obligation."[4]

I wonder how many pet owners that donate to PETA realize that PETA is for "animal liberation". Aka, no more pets.

Yes, let's have PETA buy Sea World and set all the animals free, thus helping some of the endangered species come one step closer to extinction. Bunch of goofballs...makes me want to watch that episode of South Park dedicated to them and their beliefs that all animals are as hippy and about coexistence as they are.

We didn't name them Killer Whales for their killer good looks, doofus!

As for Newkirk, she could be useful for holding my umbrella-ella-ella-a-a-a. Right now it just gets lost under the seat in my car.

PETA = People Eat Tasty Animals.....Thats what I think of PETA...

Agreed, the ironic thing is, most of those animals would die in the wild, because they have been cared for by humans thier entire life, and do not know how to care for themselves

I could see the headlines now

The corpses of the former Sea World attractions wash up on local beaches

GOOOOOOOOOOO PETA

^I don't think it was taken over by extremists so much as it was founded and is still run by a certified moonbat, Ingrid Newkirk.

Newkirk is best known for the issue awareness campaigns she organizes on behalf of PETA, in order to promote animal rights and veganism. In her will, for example, she has directed that her skin be turned into wallets, her feet into umbrella stands, and her flesh into "Newkirk Nuggets," then grilled on a barbecue.[3] "We are complete press sluts," she told The New Yorker. "It is our obligation."[4]

I wonder how many pet owners that donate to PETA realize that PETA is for "animal liberation". Aka, no more pets.

This basically confirms what I've always thought about PETA: It's not about "hey, look at the plight of animals," it's about "hey, look at what WE'RE doing!" It's all narcissism.

Like everything PeTA does, this is a publicity stunt. THey just wanted to buy billboards on the Mexico US Border wall to tell Mexicans to go back so they can continue their helatheir and more humane vegan diet. I am sure that is exactly what people running across the border are thinking.