TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What do YOU think roller coasters will be like in 10 years?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there is the technology and engineering to create big and tall coasters, but look at the last two record breakers - Dragster and Kingda Ka. Both rides resulted in all sorts of problems for the parks from a maintenance standpoint. There may be some record breaking "conventional" coasters, but many parks are trying to build more rides that are "fun".

We'll probably continue to have plenty of conventional rides, with Intamin, GCI, Gravity Group, B&M, and others out there

If the launch aspect was eliminated, a ride of that size would have far fewer problems I think.

^Phantom's Revenge was like that when it was Steel Phantom

In 10 years, I'm sure B&M will have come up with a new concept, Intamin will continue to raise the bar, Vekoma will continue its transformation, and parks will move towards more themed/family friendly coasters. Large coasters will still be built, but nowhere near the scale as in the 1990s and early 2000s. China will also add several new parks, and the world's tallest coaster will be built in China. I also see a lot of smaller parks closing, and larger parks will be bought out by competitors or after going bankrupt.

I think that in the future, rides will be fully mated to theming much more than they are now. Rides like Space Mountain being the first generation, Rock and RollerCoaster being the second, and I've yet to see a 'third' generation of themed rides- but I do have a few ideas for what I see being 'future'=

First: Using TWO rides as a 'storyline' type attraction: I.E. a coaster mated with another ride- I see this much like a James Bond type adventure- say, a start with a 'motorboat' chase (The World Is Not Enough) combined with a LIM/High speed coaster (GoldenEye) and have a full-on walkthrough as if you WERE James Bond. The only obstacle to overcome here is matching ride capacities of both rides to allow a satisfactory ride experience and no bottlenecks in operation. Perhaps one of the major 'studio' type parks could pull this one off.

Second: Integrated rides and scenes FROM a movie-

I came up wit this one on my own, out of being a fan of 'disaster' films-

TOWERING INFERNO: the RIDE. Basically, a tower ride combined with an Intamin Drop ride, the attraction would start out with 'invited guests' to the opening of the Glass Tower- a 'party' would be going on in the promenade room (just like in the movie) at the top of the tower. Standard elevators would take 32-48 guests to the top of the tower, where they would be invited in, when the 'fire' breaks out- Technology along the lines of Backdraft and Escape From Pompeii would make fire surround the guests, complete with falling objects, things breaking out all around, and then....

The Evacuation: the 'guests' would be led to the back side of the attraction, and onto the 'escape vehicles' that they've rigged up- which are, convieniently, Intamin's Drop Ride seating vehicles. The floor opens up, the riders 'fall' to the bottom, and the 'guests' are now 'rescued'- much like what the ending of the Towering Inferno is.

Basically, a total-immersion ride experience, but with more interaction between the ride and the guests themselves. In many cases, you might be able to integrate full themes beyond just movies, but also into real life- I.E. using News stories, world travels, etc. to build a ride expereince where all things are brought together in a single scene.

Just my 2.50 worth on that-

In the near future:

More wood coasters; and steel coasters being smaller in stature and length but having more "gimicky" features (random new elements and such)

Other then that... who knows, I hope most of the theme parks here in the states can withstand long term economic downturns like we're starting to see now.

^Phantom's Revenge was like that when it was Steel Phantom

In 10 years, I'm sure B&M will have come up with a new concept, Intamin will continue to raise the bar, Vekoma will continue its transformation, and parks will move towards more themed/family friendly coasters. Large coasters will still be built, but nowhere near the scale as in the 1990s and early 200s. China will also add several new parks, and the world's tallest coaster will be built in China. I also see a lot of smaller parks closing, and larger parks will be bought out by competitors or after going bankrupt.

Agreed, but that ride had OTSR's. You can't have a hyper coaster and OTSR's, it's just evil. You can complete a loop with just a lap bar, and i really hope B&M Puts that in with a hyper.

I think that coasters won't get much higher than they already are. Some park(s) (probably foreign) will probably try to push the limits with speed and maybe height. I think that designers will try to make a better ride by creating new elements and making one-of-a-kind rides. Some designers will continue to come up with designs that can be easily cloned and built anywhere.

Hyper coasters can have any types of restraints that the parks/ designers feel are needed. A lot of people let certain restraints (intamin OTSR's and new lapbars on S:ROS) ruin their ride experience. The only way it really ruins the ride is if somebody can't fit into the modified restraints.

I don't think we will see that many tall coasters in the future. At least not Dragster/Kingda size. The cost of steel is just getting to high for this behemoths to be economic viable. We will probably see more original small designs. I also think we may see more " switch elements", like for instance Expedition Everest which changes direction. The possibilities is limitless. Apart from that I guess a lot will be the same, and woodies will be as popular as ever. (Hopefully the future holds more Intamin woodies )

Hyper coasters can have any types of restraints that the parks/ designers feel are needed. A lot of people let certain restraints (intamin OTSR's and new lapbars on S:ROS) ruin their ride experience. The only way it really ruins the ride is if somebody can't fit into the modified restraints.

Just curious, what are these new S:ROS restraints you speak of?

After the accident on S:ROS (SFNE) they modified the restraints. They now hold your feet in place, and leave less leg room. Personally I didn't like them, but they didn't distract too much from the ride. S:ROS is as far as I know the only ride to have this modifications.

Before the death of "behemoth" sized coaster, someones going to push the limit one last time and build something over 500'. IMO it won't be a rocket coaster either. For something that large, Intamin (or possibly Vekoma) is the only company that would build something so large. After that, who knows. just as long as the coasters of the future are built over lakes, ponds, scenic rural cliffs and terrains and not midways and parking lots I'm fine.

The rising cost of steel and the weakening economy will reduce the number of large steel rides in North American parks. Technology will implemented on (steel) coasters more to make up for not building larger (steel) rides, think virtual reality and an actual coaster (Vs. say a dark ride). Again with the rising cost of steel we might see an increasing number of parks choose wooden coasters as it does look like GCI will have a big year in 2009, look for this trend to continue. Look for the Orient coaster boom to continue with many big rides appearing over on that side of the planet. Towards the end of this ten year forecast I could see a the retirement of some of today's favorite designers, the names of the companies might live on, or we might see an emerging new designer or company that takes coasters into the next generation.

• 3 weeks later...

Because of the whole "go green, don't destroy the ozone!" thing, maybe someone will make a coaster entirely out of recycled milk jugs and diapers!

Maybe a mid-sized ride or some simple out-and-back or twister.

Or the Idora Wildcat. That would be sweeet.

If we're lucky, Intamin could put a loop or a barrel roll on one of their woodies. But I doubt it.

I just really hope the "reniassance" of coasters isn't coming to an end and we enter another Depression slump with virtually nothing built.

I think coaster technology has hit it's limit...at least as far as what most parks will be willing to spend. I think launch coasters are seeing their demise, much like 400' + coasters did over the last few years. We'll see more spiral/vertical lift systems to cut down on space and cost.

With the economy the way it is, and park attendance continually dropping, ect. I think smaller steel coasters like Steel Hawg may begin dominating the scene in years to come, as well as, woodies more the size of Ravine Flyer II.

We will definalty see more Maverick and Fahrenheit stly rides along with many new wooden coasters. I think that Intamin will also successfully put a inversion in one of there woodies.

agreed, it's been tried, and failed. Now Intamin can go back, look at what made SoB's loop not so hot, and fix it.

Vertical Lifts will be common. Less Track / Space and the only downfall is needing a dual chain lift or a new anti-rollback system.

Ravine Flyer 2 rides will be more common, that only cost what 6-8 mil$. Some parks put that into flats, and here's one of the best woodies in the world costing that much.

A bunch of the monster once great now ball busting woodies will start being torn down too in the next 20 years.

What does it matter if the world is going to end in 4.5 years?

So you are asking what rides would be like in heaven, or in hell, or on the moon..

Ah you believe in 2012 and the return of Quotzicotl... (how ever its spelt?) I'd believe coasters may revert theres alot of woodens. Maybe we will see a few new innovations.

Definitely space saving designs, so many parks will be using the remaining space more carefully. I would also expect to see Kuka robo coasters start to be in demand after Universal's 10 year exclusive runs out. I believe the Harry Potter attraction will take things to the next level just like Spidey did for dark rides. Large steel coasters will continue to push the envelope, the economy will return, and they are generally big hits for parks.