TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

p. 337 - New Six Flags Hallowfest information!

3 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Great report!  Was Wild One closed all day or just when you tried to ride it?

It was running earlier in the day. We saw riders when we crossed over into Gotham City, and again when we left to go ride Firebird. Sadly the kiddo had wanted to do it first, but I suggested that we do the Gotham City stuff first to knock them off our checklist. Cue the failhorns when we finally cycled around to give it some love. It wasn't a complete loss, since we've rode it on both prior visits, and in fact it was the kiddo's 100th credit (during its 100th anniversary year no less!).

2 hours ago, coasterbill said:

OMG how do we ALWAYS barely miss you? We were there yesterday too.

I saw that on FB after we got home! I wasn't really checking my phone much while we were in the park, aside from taking a handful of photos and videos and sending them intermittently to my wife. Truth be told I'm so out of the loop on Six Flags after not doing anything but the drive-thru stuff last year. I didn't even realize you could check into rides while you were in the park and earn points. I'm a bad enthusiast, apparently. Looks like you guys had a fun time and an equally "pretty good" day!

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never said thank you to those of you who replied with the status of Superman, so thanks guys, I really appreciate it! We visited the park this past Friday 5/21 and had a decent visit. It was my

Wow. It is hilarious that Six Flags America is opening a whole month early, and BGW is now year-round, and Kings Dominion isn't opening until MAY? I think I'll join Coasterbill in laughing at Ced

Eh... Superman being closed would totally be a dealbreaker for me on SFA. It's not that great of a park and it's clearly the best thing there.

Posted Images

I was there too! Definitely got some Wild One rides once it finally (re)opened, 2nd best ride in the park. I hadn't ridden Mind Eraser for a while, actually enjoyed it more than Firebird this time! Got a couple pops of inverted air in the back row and my ears weren't cold anymore ;) . 2 train ops on Superman was so welcome.

I didn't know you could check into rides either. lol

And yup, we had the best day we've ever had at SFA outside of HITP. It's still easily the worst Six Flags park where they don't speak French but I feel like they know they suck and they're trying. They actually paint rides which I guess is more than I can say for Great Adventure, Superman ran 2 trains which I've never seen before and since our last visit they added a bathroom near Superman and turned Apocalypse from "f*cking atrocious" to just "really bad" so things are looking up!

• Like 1

Wow it seems like everyone was at SFA yesterday! I arrived there with my brother around 3:30 and stayed until close, so I'll give my little report (no pictures, sorry).

For a Sunday in March during Covid, I was impressed with how busy the park seemed to be, so I'm looking forward to SFA continuing with this extended operating schedule in the future. Luckily the vast majority of people I noticed actually wore their masks correctly, which made me feel a lot better considering that there was no row-by-row distancing even for the woodies.  

We pulled up around 3:20. I was worried based on other's experiences that we could have trouble with vaccination traffic, but luckily that was not an issue. Vaccinations used what I assume is an employee entrance a block from the main entrance, and there was plenty of signage and cops to ensure everything flowed smoothly, which was good to see. We attempted to ride RC, Wild One, and Ragin Cajun, but skipped all 3 for the time being because of lines, closed for maintenance, and lines respectively. This made Superman our first ride.

Superman:

We ended up doing this ride 3-4 times across the front, 2nd, and back rows. Not much has changed in my opinion since the last time I rode it, but it seemed a tad sluggish, perhaps because it was early in the season and it hadn't warmed up much yet. I'm glad to report that after the blue train sat disassembled backstage most of 2020, both trains were in action yesterday, and not only that, but there were four ops checking restraints, leading to quite efficient operations! I was hoping to get some night rides before I left, but I forgot that because of the daylight savings time shift, the park now closes before sunset :(

Around this point, we considered trying Batwing, but the line was down the stairs through a switchback, with one train ops. Actually I didn't even see the 2nd train anywhere on the ride. Even if the park was running it remarkably efficiently, that's still going to be a longer wait than it's worth considering I can return to this park fairly regularly, so we skipped Batwing, and then it promptly went down for the day. Better luck next time, as I actually quite like Batwing.

Firebird:

By this point, JJ still had a line, Wonder Woman was down for wind (understandably so, it was very windy all day), and RC joined Wild One in being closed. So Firebird it was. We waited longer than we ever had for Firebird: an entire 10-ish minutes for the 2nd to back row. I took a middle seat, and actually got one of my better rides on Firebird. The drop and vertical loop are actually a ton of fun IMO, and somehow the only headbanging I got was in the dreaded corkscrew, and even that wasn't as bad as I remembered it, so I suppose I got lucky.  This ride ran 1 train, and the fire effect was not running (perhaps because of that wind).

Roar:

We took one front row ride on Roar, and it was pretty fun. Certain parts could use some trackwork, but I enjoyed the ride I got, which featured some fun transitions, a few pops of floater, and fun laterals. Not as awesome as the rides we got during HITP nights, but still fun enough that I'd prefer a Raptor over an RMC roar. This ride actually ran both trains, despite having a very short line.

Mind Eraser:

This ride seems quite polarizing. Some people consider it one of the better SLC's, while others swear it's the worst. This is my only one, so I can't really comment. I actually braved the back row for this one. I had heard that to avoid shoulder-banging I should actually staple myself. Shoulder banging has been my biggest gripe with this ride because the OSTR's have these weird flanges covering your shoulders to prevent you from lifting your hands up, presumably because of how close the seats are to the track. By stapling myself, the shoulder thingies actually remain in contact the whole time, preventing my shoulders from bouncing around. The headbanging is still there, but the restraints are padded well enough that it doesn't hurt me too much. I actually like the layout of this ride, and with better trains (looking at you SFNE) this could be an awesome ride.

Cyclone:

I don't know if all the other scrambler's I've been on are just crap, but I love SFA's scrambler, they just run it stupid fast, and it lasts fairly long. My brother and I kept being pushing into the middle of the seat before being violently flung to the side, and if that doesn't sound like a well run scrambler, I don't know what does!

Voodoo Drop:

Solid Intamin drop tower with a resonably powerful drop with nice float on the way down, even if it's fairly short. Despite being a walk on, they actually ran all three sides, which I almost never see!

Joker's Jinx:

Good news, the line has died down, and we grabbed the 2nd row. Running as great as it usually does, with awesome, intense inversions, fun twistiness, and it looks fabulous with the repaint. Unfortunately the 2nd train was nowhere to be seen, hopefully they can get it on later this year.

Wild One:

Look who finally decided to open up! Apparently there was an issue with the lift's power or something along those lines. Got three rides on this thing across row 2, 2nd to back, and 3rd to back. Hauls through the course as usual with fun floater and wicked laterals. Fairly rough, but in the fun bumpy way instead of the painful headache way like back seat Roar. If you want a smoother ride, take a non-wheel seat (middle seat of each car), but I didn't have many issues with wheel seats. This ride also ran both trains, which is nice to see. Personally I prefer the back of the train, but the front is great too, and it's all a matter of personal preference.

Ragin Cajun:

Got one ride on this. Queue was just under halfway full, but with pretty good ops and four cars on the course we got though in like 12 minutes. This thing spins like a teacup, and we had a great ride. I also quite like how while most rides trim you toward the end, Ragin Cajun has a mini tire launch, which is just a single fast rotating tire that gives you a little speed boost before the finale!

Overall, despite some ride closures in the beginning of our visit, he had a lovely day at SFA, and I look forward to returning in the not too distant future!

• Thanks 1

Wow, so it was basically an impromptu TPR meet-up, just without any of the actual, y'know, meeting up. :lol:

Very nice to hear everyone's opinions and experiences! Wait, Firebird was supposed to have an actual fire effect? I get it for Bizarro at Great Adventure because it's so isolated off in its own corner, but it seems like for Firebird due to its proximity to everything else it would just be super awkward. Where do they put it? I'm also really surprised at the number of people both here and on FB who are saying "Mind Eraser isn't that bad". I'm gonna take you at your word, JG, that the stapling trick works because honestly I don't see myself being brave enough to try it on a return visit.

Don't get me wrong, it's still rough, jerky and headbangy, it's mostly the shoulder-banging that it improved for me, making the ride less painful. With that said, I have a higher tolerance than many for roughness and awkward transitions, so take my experience with a grain of salt, you may still end up hating mind eraser.

So if I ever go here, should I expect a bad experience? One poster above me claims it's the worst Six Flags park that's not La Ronde.

it's not a great park. . but they do have some good rides there.

go with low expectations, and they'll likely be exceeded.

53 minutes ago, mary.pesik said:

So if I ever go here, should I expect a bad experience? One poster above me claims it's the worst Six Flags park that's not La Ronde.

It's a good park, just not a great park. Some people have had bad experiences here, but I always enjoy my visits.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:39 PM, Canobie Coaster said:

I've never seen two trains on Superman before so that's an encouraging sight so early in the season!

Ran 2 in my visits last year. Ran 2 on Roar, FireBird, Jokers Jinx and Wild One as well during haunt.

Anyone know the last time they attempted 2 trains on Batwing? Seems that other station may have been dormant since shortly after opening based upon the track wear and tear. Interested to know how quickly they abandoned it.

And I really don't see them ditching Batwing anytime soon like the rumors suggest, that ride constantly has a wait... Yes, it runs one train and dispatch is slow, but it's also in nowhere land as it relates to the park's layout. You have to want to go there...

Among my 1-1.5 dozen visits, I've seen Batwing run two trains exactly twice, I think most recently in 2018, maybe 2019. I think the reason is staffing rather than maintenance, since you need a crew twice the size. However, for whatever reason, I don't think I spotted Batwing's 2nd train (or ME and JJ's FWIW) anywhere on the track.

9 minutes ago, JG-77 said:

Among my 1-1.5 dozen visits, I've seen Batwing run two trains exactly twice, I think most recently in 2018, maybe 2019. I think the reason is staffing rather than maintenance, since you need a crew twice the size. However, for whatever reason, I don't think I spotted Batwing's 2nd train (or ME and JJ's FWIW) anywhere on the track.

Ha, really? Did they use the 2nd station when they run 2 trains?

Appears so, I've never seen two train operation with just one station in action. 

1. Maybe they're waiting until spring/summer to put the second train on JJ's track.

2. I didn't see ME's second train in use at all last year.

3. Only once have I seen two train operations on Batwing
3a. Perhaps at this point the other train is being used as a parts donor?

Had a decent half day at the park today, like people have been saying it's been surprisingly busy. Jokers Jinx and Batwing had decent lines due to one train. Although Wild One was running two, the dispatches were incredibly slow so that had a large line as well. However, Superman was running two all and the crew was hauling ass, often dispatching before the other train hit the brakes. Pretty impressive SFA! 

Couple other notes:

Mask compliance was pretty great but the amount of employees with it below their nose was a little annoying.

I've seen multiple measures to combat line jumping, including a phone line you can call. I've always heard that was a problem here but have never experienced it myself.  

Roar still sucks

Actually got the fliers to snap a bit, surprising as I've never been able to do it with the Larson ones.

Still think this park has the best employees of any Six Flags park, bar the shoddy operations.  

My restraint was not checked on Roar. The first time this has happened in over ten years of going to amusement parks. 

34 minutes ago, disownedpear said:

Had a decent half day at the park today, like people have been saying it's been surprisingly busy. Jokers Jinx and Batwing had decent lines due to one train. Although Wild One was running two, the dispatches were incredibly slow so that had a large line as well. However, Superman was running two all and the crew was hauling ass, often dispatching before the other train hit the brakes. Pretty impressive SFA! 

Couple other notes:

Mask compliance was pretty great but the amount of employees with it below their nose was a little annoying.

I've seen multiple measures to combat line jumping, including a phone line you can call. I've always heard that was a problem here but have never experienced it myself.  

Roar still sucks

Actually got the fliers to snap a bit, surprising as I've never been able to do it with the Larson ones.

Still think this park has the best employees of any Six Flags park, bar the shoddy operations.  

My restraint was not checked on Roar. The first time this has happened in over ten years of going to amusement parks. 

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I wish parks would stop bothering to check restraints.  Disney hasn't checked restraints for years. It's really a waste of time and it's not necessary.

It's not necessary to ensure that riders are secure in their vehicles and won't go flying out?  In 2021 America where companies get sued for everything?  What are you smoking man?

My restraint on Ragin Cajun straight-up failed 2 weeks ago. Maybe they should check them an extra time to be honest. 🤣

I wasn’t even going to mention it since it’s the like of thing that enthusiasts will brush off as it basically never happens and I’ve never personally seen it before on any coaster ever but at some point mid-ride the bar was up around shoulder level and relying on the fact that it was chained to the other bar to keep it that low. It was still semi-locked if you lowered it again and it didn’t happen again but it was crazy.

The ride has a seatbelt too which in-itself is sufficient to keep you in the ride so I wasn’t freaking out about it but I had a major “WTF?” moment there for a minute.

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

My restraint on Ragin Cajun straight-up failed 2 weeks ago. Maybe they should check them an extra time to be honest. 🤣

I wasn’t even going to mention it since it’s the like of thing that enthusiasts will brush off as it basically never happens and I’ve never personally seen it before on any coaster ever but at some point mid-ride the bar was up around shoulder level and relying on the fact that it was chained to the other bar to keep it that low. It was still semi-locked if you lowered it again and it didn’t happen again but it was crazy.

The ride has a seatbelt too which in-itself is sufficient to keep you in the ride so I wasn’t freaking out about it but I had a major “WTF?” moment there for a minute.

I've had nearly the same exact thing happen, except on Windstorm at Adventure Park, another Zamperla in Maryland haha. 

I'll often tell a story of something I saw working rides and an enthusiast will go "that didn't happen"... like okay enjoy your bubble of safety. The rides are extremely safe but some people here act like nothing wrong ever happens!

Yeah, I mean if you told me that happened on Fury 325 I wouldn't believe you but Windstorms and Reverchon mice... lol. I'd have got right back in line, the seatbelt is fine by itself but that's still the only time I've ever seen that happen but... yeah.

Also yeah, I'm pretty sure Adventure Park USA has a "Jesus take the wheel" approach to maintenance on that thing.

I actually had the same experience on Ragin Cajun. It wasn't frightening thanks to the redundant safety features as everyone's always mentioned, but several times the lapbar came up about half a foot if not more. I'd be very curious what causes that to happen mechanically, this is the first time in my visits anything like that happened.

It's also worth noting that both Bill and I had this experience on the same day, so for all we know it could be fixed by now, but I can certainly imagine it freaking some people out.

9 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Also yeah, I'm pretty sure Adventure Park USA has a "Jesus take the wheel" approach to maintenance on that thing.

The state of Maryland took Adventure Parks permission to run two cars on Wildcat since they kept colliding, because the park did an in-house modification to ironically increase capacity. It's pretty sketchy over there ha. 

• Haha 1
On 3/16/2021 at 11:07 PM, JG-77 said:

Appears so, I've never seen two train operation with just one station in action. 

It's definitely been over a decade, but early on they used to do two train operation with one station and I distinctly remember it only due to the glaring sun on the brake run and sitting for what felt as an eternity with their operations.

Also, these comment on Adventure Park USA have me cracking up. The owner is, well, interesting of that place. He used to run "Put Put Golf" in Frederick MD before opening the park and he's had a reputation for decades on not paying contractors. They also attempted to crowd fund a water park awhile back by pre selling season passes. I rode Wildcat when it first opened and even then they had to manually release the brakes and push the cart to the chain lift. While asking each other if something was fixed on it yet, I honestly don't know how it made it back to the station from that ride.

It's always been one of those parks that when I see a "only in Europe, never in USA" type of trip report I always think "well you've never been to Adventure Park USA", haha. It really was and I feel still is a nice facility for what it is visually, but I have zero faith in their safety and maintenance of the rides. The only reason a major accident hasn't been reported is likely due to it's small size and that the rollercoasters are down a lot of the times and don't see too many riders.

The Owner of Adventure Park(Not the Manager who is an awesome dude doing the best with what he's given) is actually the worst person I have ever met, no exaggeration. In the years I worked there I saw things that had they happened at SFA, would have made state news at least. When people say SFA is the worst park in the country they forget the East Coast Mt Olympus is around the corner. They were seconds away from a Verruckt style accident on the Skycoaster. Enthusiasts don't always believe me when I say this but I know what I saw. The employee that prevented the accident(and wasn't even working) did not receive a promotion or anything. The two responsible for it received no punishment.

The place is pretty and everyone, including the owner really care about the park in other ways I wish it would extend to their maintenance/operating procedures....