TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I may have missed this, but I assume the layout is the same as Steel Dragon at Waldameer? It certainly looks it, which means that I will like it as I think SD is the most fun mouse-like ride that I have ever been on.

This will be a big hit with families for sure!

I may have missed this, but I assume the layout is the same as Steel Dragon at Waldameer? It certainly looks it, which means that I will like it as I think SD is the most fun mouse-like ride that I have ever been on.

Exactly, and if enthusiasts are looking for anything more, they will be disappointed

One reason I love this addition is since it balances out the family factor coaster wise in the park. Us enthusiasts can just sit and wait for Hershey's next big one! Which I think won't happen until they expand the park but who knows!

One reason I love this addition is since it balances out the family factor coaster wise in the park. Us enthusiasts can just sit and wait for Hershey's next big one! Which I think won't happen until they expand the park but who knows!

I guess the expansion might start in 2016 with being complete in 2017. So no big coaster until 2018 I think...

Exactly, Hershey has a great mix of family and thrill coasters and this will be another great addition. One of the reasons we're making the trip to Hershey this summer is that the park has 5 coasters (including Laff Track) with a 42" height limit. SDL is the only looping coaster I've ever seen that has a 42" requirement, so it will be my daughter's first ever looping coaster. There really is something for everyone at this park.

More photos posted to Hersheypark's Twitter page:

CAUB3a6WgAAjsoA.jpg

This will be the main entrance to Laff Trakk. I think the overflow queue will be off to the right in front of the building. I think I see some framework for a roof that will cover it.

CAUAOnkUkAAzAMk.jpg

Laff Trakk's maintenance bay. Don't see any transfer track yet.

CAT-NTbW4AAPq1F.jpg

What it looks like looking up the lift hill.

The theming is starting to look decent! At least a little more promising than when it was just the infamous "LOL". And even if the theming ends up as a complete disaster like Great Adventure's The Dark Knight, it will at least have a fun layout and be a good coaster for all ages.

Technically it's a 4th Revision Xtended SC-2000.

We are thinking about going to the springtime in the park event at the park, but don't know if it's worth it or not. Does anyone know what rides are open, and will the new ride be open at this point of the season?

I tried to find the list of attractions on the official(hard to navigate) website for the park, but had no luck.

Technically it's a 4th Revision Xtended SC-2000.

Well that must mean that it will rock even more...I think?

We are thinking about going to the springtime in the park event at the park, but don't know if it's worth it or not. Does anyone know what rides are open, and will the new ride be open at this point of the season?

I tried to find the list of attractions on the official(hard to navigate) website for the park, but had no luck.

Here's the list of Springtime Rides that will be open:

http://www.hersheypark.com/seasonal/spring/rides.php

Laff Trakk likely won't be open until Summer 2015 with no official date announced yet, but I think they are trying to aim for Memorial Day.

While out on a walk today, they did have a paper posted along the road in front of the building saying that they were proposing to the township last night about decorating all sides of the building with fun house decorations. Hopefully it goes through as the building does seem like it needs something else added to it. The red spouting does add some character to it.

Here is what it says on the township website:

Petition 2015-04 as filed by Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company, 300 Park Blvd., Hershey, PA, regarding its property located at 100 W. Hersheypark Dr., Hershey, PA, in the Commercial Entertainment and General Sign Overlay zoning districts. The property is improved with the Hersheypark amusement facility, including a 25,000-square-foot attraction that is currently under construction. Petitioner proposes to place signs in the form of painted murals that depict images related to the Fun House theme on all sides of the exterior façade of the building. Relief is sought from, but not necessarily limited to, maximum sign height and maximum number of colors on a sign face. The property is identified on the Dauphin County tax maps as 24-009-009.

It also looks like they were in the process of pouring curbing for the paths on the main midway.

image.thumb.jpg.be56cda13b1daf169662263809cc24e2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I went for a walk Thursday and got to see quite a few coasters testing for the season. Law Trakk's catwalks have arrived and the ride building is starting to get fancied up and it is starting to look like it will blend in with the Midway America theming.

The park has also updated their 2015 page with two new shows being added for the season and two new locations where you can upgrade your admission ticket to a season pass. The food locations page was also updated with food items for the new Outpost allergy-friendly eatery. Some of the items include buffalo chicken pizza and sandwiches, southwest chicken sandwiches, grilled veggie sandwiches, cheese pizza, and some others. Overlook Food Court looks like it will have 9 concession locations inside the building and also feature three different types of mac and cheese, wraps, wings, salads, and pastas.

New this summer, Hersheypark welcomes two new entertainment shows "Dance, Dance, Dance - Encore!" in Music Box Theatre and "Rollin' Down the River" in The Country Grill. Both shows are produced by RWS and Associates, a full-service, worldwide, EMMY Award winning production company.

A little sidetone on the Dance Dance Dance show; it seems that the park had a show with the same name in the late 1980s and early 90's that was pretty popular.

IMG_0619.thumb.JPG.9360fab0e15461d3236f57b5e1dd19ad.JPG

Shiny new wood for the Chocolate House.

IMG_0620.thumb.JPG.6ebf3c47cba5f83be48dbb789feacad4.JPG

Chocolate World will be expanding again this year.

IMG_0622.thumb.JPG.b4fc7eaab38eeebc6019f781af076c7a.JPG

Storm Runner and Comet were just two of the couple of coasters testing yesterday.

IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.1ed4dcf9b99b8ca7bbbbba7c28361be4.JPG

Peeking through the fence, Twin Turnpike's Sports Cars exit will share the Antique Cars side.

IMG_0630.thumb.JPG.f8831b3d3656b66583e4a2e31a4cb24a.JPG

Nothing really new at this end of the building.

DSC01833.thumb.JPG.8f4fd465c034a4983239262579d62d1d.JPG

Special delivery!

DSC01834.thumb.JPG.a5bd2b148a65192bd017808b2026e729.JPG

There are quite a bit of stairs, railings and catwalks.

DSC01835.thumb.JPG.ba249b54928a713ca585ddb78d4f5d43.JPG

Spiral staircases.

DSC01836.thumb.JPG.a69a42c6149ead9e194e364ab370d898.JPG

The curbing for the midway looks like it is going back in.

DSC01839.thumb.JPG.194d5c9fbbf255ac298d345fff49f195.JPG

Trim is being added to the lower portion of the ride building.

DSC01840.thumb.JPG.cd0ce3f134988b31d6646848fb3eb2c7.JPG

Here is a closer look.

DSC01841.thumb.JPG.3dbc15df6eec0f3a975c3ad312a2940b.JPG

On the park-side of the building, more details are being added and it is really starting to blend in with the area of the park.

DSC01842.thumb.JPG.9d6b00dc5b117adfd6f5be09a0ee5e61.JPG

The Ferris Wheel is now back up, but it is missing its pin wheel so far.

DSC01845.thumb.JPG.acd9969357d14c55d835d2826cf771ae.JPG

The park opens next Friday for Springtime in the Park. I'll leave you with a photo with Skyrush, Great Bear, and the first storm of the year.

I'm planning to go on Easter sunday, is there anything I should know?

Will there be crowds?

Are any major attractions not open during springtime in the park?

Is it possible to leave the car in the lot and walk into town for lunch?

Probably not.

I'm pretty sure they'll all be open (except Laff Trakk)

Yes (If I remember Correctly)

EDIT: Forget what I said! I thought you meant "Can you leave the park and come back in?' If you mean what I think you mean, No. The park is too far away from everything else. You'd have to take your car.

Edited by Trevor Hamilton

Will there be crowds?

It is probably going to be busy that weekend, but temperatures, and rain could have an effect on that.

The Boardwalk, all the water rides, and Laff Trakk are expected to be closed.

What you could do is park in the parking garage behind The Hershey Story Museum, cross over the covered walkway over the railroad tracks and all the way down and around to the park entrance (if you don't mind the walk and don't want to pay for parking). It is about a 10 to 15 minute walk and there is a sidewalk all the way down. You also get some great views of Skyrush and the other rides as well.

Will there be crowds?

It is probably going to be busy that weekend, but temperatures, and rain could have an effect on that.

What you could do is park in the parking garage behind The Hershey Story Museum, cross over the covered walkway over the railroad tracks and all the way down and around to the park entrance (if you don't mind the walk and don't want to pay for parking). It is about a 10 to 15 minute walk and there is a sidewalk all the way down. You also get some great views of Skyrush and the other rides as well.

Am I imagining this or is there an entrance from the ZooAmerica side?

Will there be crowds?

Am I imagining this or is there an entrance from the ZooAmerica side?

That entrance is to only go into the zoo only. Then again, I did go with a few friends last year to Houlihan's through there by getting my hand stamped and going back into the park with the handstamp later. Same with hearing some other people do this to get something to eat at Parkside Cafe, but I would check with the handstamp person on the bridge before trying this.

^ Maybe that is what I was thinking of.....you have to get stamped from the park to go to the zoo. Therefore I figured you must be able to access the park from a Zoo entrance also.......at least if you walk out that way you don't have to walk so damn far to access the restaurants on that side of the perimeter......LOL.

Hersheypark opened for the 2015 season this past weekend and it gave me a good opportunity to check out Laff Trakk from inside the park as well as the other new offerings. Other than the coaster, the park really added on to their current food offerings by renovating current venues, getting rid of duplicate locations, and bringing in some new items and locations.

Getting back to Laff Trakk and the Midway America area, it appears that riders will enter an entryway next to the Merry Derry Dips FunSlide, go into an entrance building, make a right and enter an outside covered queue area. Following this, guests will then enter the front part of the building, somehow make their way to the station and to the large part of the building. There is a doorway next to the main part of the building, which I'm guessing will be the exit, which will run between the queue and it, right to the midway.

On to the photos.

IMG_0643.thumb.JPG.0bcbe98080638ceaab38fe926eda3598.JPG

Claw T-Shirt anyone?

IMG_0644.thumb.JPG.b9f8374806ab2616dfa0d68d9b5dc03f.JPG

You can also pick up some new Laff Trakk souvenirs.

IMG_0647.thumb.JPG.eb5856ea4966c9e5f82cff73cf21c69f.JPG

Moving on to the new food offerings, Makin' Whoopie Pies is one of the newest locations located in the Founder's Way Food Court. For those who don't know what a Whoopie Pie is, this Pa Dutch item is a flavored cream in between two pieces of cake.

IMG_0645.thumb.JPG.53bf849f57a96dac5d736c5012226a85.JPG

You can customize your own Whoopie pie by picking one or several flavors of cake. If you want to get creative, you can add in some candy for a little extra or choose a different top and bottom cake flavor.

IMG_0646.thumb.JPG.121a789b72af9825d2a11814897e9462.JPG

Next you can then pick your filling from flavors such as cream cheese, mint, mocha buttercream, cotton candy, and others. You can have it in a bag to go and eat it there. It is also a pretty decent sized whoopee pie as well!

IMG_0654.thumb.JPG.d27d55270a383a0babcf1ee10304d7f2.JPG

The Overlook Food Court has expanded its food offerings with items such as wraps, salads, pasta, mac and cheese, gluten-free items...

IMG_0656.thumb.JPG.e2553f9fb41fd9877eff3fc413556155.JPG

You can also get bone and boneless wings as well, which are really good.

IMG_0666.thumb.JPG.ba16a31d61c724d9c82b7553658842bd.JPG

Pioneer Frontier Food Court now features The Outpost; an allergy-friendly eatery. Tumbleweed Tacos used to be located here.

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.82d551c4578a13674c34c4eb5f6861ab.JPG

A little farther down the food court is Moe's Southwest Grill, which is their first location at a theme park.

IMG_0671.thumb.JPG.45e2843ce36f41d3fd5848b60df60a80.JPG

Time for Laff Trakk.

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.ac0f9ba0802ec446749e4129bfdd422f.JPG

Thinking back to last year, there used to be a path here that originally led over to the Midway Tent and the entrance to the slides.

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.6c956076c356f35216ae7736245cfdae.JPG

To ride, guests will enter through this pretty big entrance.

IMG_0679.thumb.JPG.52bf3e2382feeca49e229733bf209b32.JPG

Looks like you might then enter this covered area and then finally enter the building through the other door. The last door probably might be the exit.

IMG_0681.thumb.JPG.fa4250c97e44e8cbe6448ec70550d1f1.JPG

IMG_0685.thumb.JPG.10a644d178ee32e6acb821a48e93f1be.JPG

The trim being added to the building seems to be a nice touch.

IMG_0688.thumb.JPG.5371afc4a6a9f428aebe97a5e4eec7b7.JPG

Should be interesting to see what else is added to the building before it opens.

IMG_0690.thumb.JPG.70b9433a579c444146dbbdfe256926ca.JPG

Looks like something is going to be added here eventually.

IMG_0691.thumb.JPG.1d1cb0565900d19166bc2f7925dd8664.JPG

Finally for Midway America, new ride signs were added to the Whip and kiddie rides that were moved. Tiny Tracks, which was the kiddie train from near the Carrousel, has been re-added where Lightning Racer's overflow queue used to be.

IMG_0670.thumb.JPG.505ea7fa69162afa1db7d9e3596aa8d1.JPG

Lastly, if you buy a regular ticket to the park, you can upgrade it to a season pass at two or three locations around the park. Midway Merchandise is one of them.

Pretty cool to see how much work has been done on Laff Track since my last visit in October as it was just clear land at the time. I might be visiting Hersheypark in May after a concert in Reading, so I'll be looking forward to visiting the park again.