TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb & Jahan Go To White Castle

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that we have White Castle in Arkansas. I guess that's good thing!

They really are more of a Midwest Chain:

Although as you can see, you can get the burgers in the freezer section of most retail grocery stores and the experience is almost the same!

--Robb

Yeah I was all excited for White Castle on the midwest trip. It definetly is an experience. I probably wouldn't go there on my own again but with a large group of people its fun times!

Gimme Whattaburger anyday!!

mmm.. Whataburger! You just became awesome.

White Castle Tower > Good/Bad Tower

Casey's Aim > White Castle Tower

I've only eaten at WC once, primarily since it feels like you go through all* the symptoms of a 9-month pregnancy in about 2 hours or however long it takes to get it the hell out of your system.

*Emphasis on the morning sickness... or afternoon, evening, and every damned hour for the next 48.

Krystal is a decent provider of steam-grilled burgers in the south. I can't say that it equals White Castle myself, but the burgers are very similar.

I was driving across Florida a few years ago and the glow from the Krystal sign seemed like a heavenly beacon lighting up the rural highway. I hadn't had a Krystal burger in years and was pretty satisfied with it.

http://krystal.com/

I'm going back to Michigan in about a month and CAN'T WAIT for WC! Can't beat the real thing.

They are called sliders for a reason...they slide right through you. I seriously miss White Castle. When I was on my Mid-West trip (which can be found in JimmyBo and Friends Volume 1 at the TPR store) Ryan and I only had White Castle, Steak and Shake, and of course a mixture of alcohol every now and then. White Castle is amazing and I wish they would start popping up on the west coast like "Chick Fil A" is.

Great footage Robb. I think you truly captured the awesomeness that is White Castle.

Jimmy "Casey has great aim" Bo

Although as you can see, you can get the burgers in the freezer section of most retail grocery stores and the experience is almost the same!

Only a bit soggier, lol.

I wish they would start popping up on the west coast like "Chick Fil A" is.

Chick Fil A has actually been around the west coast for quite some time just not many of them. There was one right near my high school...yes...20 years ago!

--Robb "I don't FEEL that old..." Alvey

^ Well, maybe in California Robb but here in AZ. Looks like all the Chick-Fil-A's are taking over where Krispy Kreme's used to be in Tucson. And yes...you are old.

Jimmy "Wish I was in Cali" Bo

So I walked over to Albertsons and picked up a box of white castle burgers. I already tried one microwaved and it was pretty tasty! I now have a couple in the oven to see how they compare.

I'll post a trip report in here after I'm done! (If that's okay of course)

Jake "Likes his frozen burgers" Sundstrom

"I wish they would start popping up on the west coast like "Chick Fil A" is." (JimmyBo)

Actually, in the early '80s, there was a chain called WestCastle out here in the L.A. area, which was actually the same thing. Back then, we stopped in there on a regular basis (maybe that's what kept us regular! ).

But that chain was short-lived. Obviously, we "health conscious" Californians didn't take to it very well.

There's a Chick-Fil-A in Oxnard in---surprise!---a former Krispy Kreme location. I eat there on a regular basis. To me, it's honestly a good product.

Eric

Does it compare to In n' Out?

It doesn't. Think of them as polar opposites. One is a very quality-minded chain and the other can barely be categorized as food. White Castle is only good to eat at 4 AM when the alcohol is wearing off and that late night hunger is kicking in.

I just finished eating a couple of the "burgers" (Those little suckers stick with ya don't they?) and here is my "PTR".

978567423_IMG_6931(Medium).JPG.9729b2b79542e2e88f71b0c41af1e362.JPG

I give them the "Jake thumb or approval".. of course if im stuck in the bathroom in two hours.. we'll see how I feel!

1438775804_IMG_6926(Medium).JPG.71a3a8230531da6d6df963ab613f6db7.JPG

Mmm looks tasty.. and it was, I assure you! :D

1926998595_IMG_6922(Medium).JPG.0765d296792503c7dfeea6ad6310b99e.JPG

I give it a thumbs up!

1030717196_IMG_6920(Medium).JPG.e072094296085778ce2abe13bb3d9f5e.JPG

After they have been in the oven for 15 minutes (wrapped tightly in foil) we take them out to sit for two minutes.

591228132_IMG_6913(Medium).JPG.e96d1845f5bb3750f12623f94b46746d.JPG

Put steaming water at the bottom of a broiler pan.. put the lid on, then put the burgers on!

477467767_IMG_6912(Medium).JPG.e85589160e172a130b841308d64c5c90.JPG

We've already nuked 'em, so lets give them a go in the oven! Set to 350 degrees..

957304390_IMG_6909(Medium).JPG.ecab6672c616f83d662a03decf7f43c7.JPG

It gets the Noelle thumb of approval!

1960584861_IMG_6906(Medium).JPG.80c223c7673edae59a8c5f017e686915.JPG

Lunch is served!

829479217_IMG_6900(Medium).JPG.2221ef7099a641d4bc58dcdf0a694c02.JPG

The cooking instructions.

1097792203_IMG_6895(Medium).JPG.73ebe8807174101cc6f35fa55a4961c5.JPG

6 little "burgers" all lined up in a row.

1333364071_IMG_6887(Medium).JPG.ac3f8f27eb3f7eec087c89c4b3438bb1.JPG

The box that holds the key.. to a greasy ball in your stomach.

^ LOL! That's awesome. Dammit! Now you're gonna make me want to go pick up a box of them too.

The funny thing is I know a lot of people who prefer the frozen ones over what is served at the restaurants.

--Robb