TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Just a heads up. Gov. Pat McCrory has put the city of Charlotte under a State of Emergency and indicated that a curfew is a "very strong option" due to the rioting that's going on in center city. I don't know how this would impact the park since the park is only partially in the city / state but if anyone is planning on heading to the park this weekend I wouldn't be surprised if they change their hours or close so keep an eye on their social media pages.

Just a heads up. Gov. Pat McCrory has put the city of Charlotte under a State of Emergency and indicated that a curfew is a "very strong option" due to the rioting that's going on in center city. I don't know how this would impact the park since the park is only partially in the city / state but if anyone is planning on heading to the park this weekend I wouldn't be surprised if they change their hours or close so keep an eye on their social media pages.

It's been a while since I've been to Carowinds but isn't it away from the city?? I would think they should just put a curfew on downtown since that's where most of the rioting seems to be designated, of course I'm only seeing what they're showing on TV.

It's been a while since I've been to Carowinds but isn't it away from the city?? I would think they should just put a curfew on downtown since that's where most of the rioting seems to be designated, of course I'm only seeing what they're showing on TV.

It's been a while since I've been to Carowinds but isn't it away from the city??

Yes and no. Almost half of Carowinds is technically in the city of Charlotte (the rest is obviously in Fort Mill, SC), but Charlotte is also ridiculously spread out since they've annexed basically eveything around them so it's almost 20 minutes from downtown. If there's a curfew (which hopefully doesn't happen) then it all depends on how they implement it. Personally I think it would be insane to apply it to anything outside of the 485 loop (woohoo, we can finally call 485 a loop) but technically that would still (in most areas) still be considered the city of Charlotte. Plus even without a curfew, Carowinds could always do something precautionary.

I'm just saying I'd keep an eye on social media. Since my post they have responded to some of the comments on Facebook asking if they'd be open and have stated that they plan to be open for operation as originally scheduled and stated that "The safety of our guests is always our highest priority. We work very closely with law enforcement authorities to provide a safe and secure environment."

I'd still keep an eye on it though since the city is currently under a State of Emergency, has called in the National Guard and is discussing a potential curfew.

Yeah - to add to what Bill said, use your normal sense and caution. Most likely, nothing in or around the park will happen - but if you are there and start to feel weird or unsafe, follow the gut feeling and leave or get inside somewhere.

I went through this in Atlanta during the Rodney King riots - most of the city was perfectly fine - but I was at Georgia State University - right next to the capital - and we had to go into one of the school high rises and wait (the police strongly suggested this so we did it.)

David

Not entirely related but I haven't gone to Carowinds this season for whatever reason. Do they still not take security seriously at the park or has that changed?

The last few times I was at the park, they had basically zero security and were not even checking large bags. Considering the kind of society we live in, that really bothers me. It was crazy to see the park go from metal detectors to no metal detectors and not even checking bags.

In regards to the riots, I don't think the issue would spread that far from the city center and I don't think Carowinds would have to close early, but you never know.

Yeah - to add to what Bill said, use your normal sense and caution. Most likely, nothing in or around the park will happen - but if you are there and start to feel weird or unsafe, follow the gut feeling and leave or get inside somewhere.

I went through this in Atlanta during the Rodney King riots - most of the city was perfectly fine - but I was at Georgia State University - right next to the capital - and we had to go into one of the school high rises and wait (the police strongly suggested this so we did it.)

David

I go to GSU and the campus location really is the worst for safety. Students get robbed at gunpoint all the time, and that's when there aren't protests/riots occuring. Taking a night class and walking to 5 Points Marta station at 10pm was terrifying. The entire area was a mess during whatever BLM riots were occurring not too long ago here in Atlanta but luckily I didn't have class during the evening hours.

Not entirely related but I haven't gone to Carowinds this season for whatever reason. Do they still not take security seriously at the park or has that changed?

The last few times I was at the park, they had basically zero security and were not even checking large bags. Considering the kind of society we live in, that really bothers me. It was crazy to see the park go from metal detectors to no metal detectors and not even checking bags.

In regards to the riots, I don't think the issue would spread that far from the city center and I don't think Carowinds would have to close early, but you never know.

Every time I've gone since they've installed the new gate they've been wanding people.

Carowinds has always checked bags- at least since my first visit in 2010. They won't even let you bring in sunscreen unless it's the tsa approved travel size. Before fury, they had walk through metal detectors, now they use wands, on everyone.

Their security is ridiculous, I don't know what you're talking about.

^Thanks guys. That is very good to hear. All three times I went last season the gate was a free for all. Bags were only being checked if people chose to go over to the area where bag check was and many were just walking by and I saw no one being wanded (myself included). I've heard other people complain about that as well so I am glad they are thorough now!

Bill and others - thanks for posting about the State of Emergency in Charlotte. I haven't kept up with things but we did change our hotel to the Comfort Inn right next to Carowinds so we don't have to be anywhere near the city. I'll check here and their Facebook page in the morning before we leave to see if anything's changed.

Indeed, everyone be safe! A few friends and I are driving from Dallas (16 hours...but we're young) to go the NASCAR Hall of Fame and then the park Friday and Saturday. The Hall of Fame was busted into a bit, but they're going to keep operating also. I expect the park will bulk up security without telling anyone and I'm sure that the park will be safe.

Evidently the park is open tonight, but there is a curfew that goes into effect right at closing (midnight). The parking lot and all of the hotels immediately outside the park are in South Carolina and I honestly don't think there's any way in hell they're going to enforce this curfew, especially out near Carowinds. But keep it in mind I guess because violating it is technically a misdemeanor.

It only applies to the corporate limits of Charlotte but I have no idea if that's different from the regular city limits. With a lot of cities they're the same thing. That being said, they're not going to care. I'm sure they don't have the resources to stop anyone who's not in downtown Charlotte anyway. Just keep it in mind if anyone's going to the park and not staying right near the park.

I was expecting the park hours to change with the curfew in place and thankfully it's not too much of a change. Tomorrow it appears they're still open until midnight, at least for the time being. Thankful to have this thread to check for updates instead of dealing with wading thru social media.

Texascoasterdude - thats a heck of a long drive! Safe travels to you guys.

I was expecting the park hours to change with the curfew in place and thankfully it's not too much of a change. Tomorrow it appears they're still open until midnight, at least for the time being.

My guess is that they're just waiting to see when they lift the curfew. If it's lifted tomorrow they'll probably close at 12. If not they'll probably close at 11. Last night was evidently relatively peaceful so if that happens again tonight they might lift it.

The park was completely dead tonight but they beefed up security. Lots of extra guards roaming around and police out front with two detection dogs. One was a young shepherd in training who was very distracted but was doing a better job of crowd control than the friendlu older lab out front haha. Big thumbs up to Fury's crew who were hauling as usual. Due to Charlotte's midnight curfew and the park closing at 11pm, the ride lines were shut off promptly at 10:30pm. We were on the 2nd to last Fury train of the night and by 10:45 when we exited the park was an absolute ghost town.

I have spent too much time with Six Flags passes and even though I read and reread CF's pass page, I did not read between the lines or check out the fine print. I was under the incorrect understanding that buying 2017 platinum passes enabled us entry for the rest of 2016. WRONG! Dropping $200+ pp does almost nothing, it turns out. If you are a new passholder nothing starts until 2017, including parking. You do get 1 ticket for entry either daytime or during Scarowinds but they are 2 separate events and anything other than that you better pony up. Major thanks to Mary and Charlotte at the season pass center for their extreme patience with helping me get it worked out! They were really great.

Hopefully tomorrow has low lines as well. It'll be a hot one!

Zach we were there Friday and Saturday so I can confirm the closing schedule is back to normal. Friday they closed at 11pm due to Charlotte's curfew which meant ride lines closed promptly at 10:30pm and by 11 the place was an absolute ghost down.

Saturday they were back to their normal midnight closing. They had an extraordinary amount of security roaming the park inside and out both days which was nice. Saw some k9 handlers with gorgeous shepherds (whoever is supplying the k9 teams with dogs down there is doing an excellent job) and I appreciated that they searched people significantly more thoroughly while entering. Saturday night when we went back for Scarowinds they had me dump out my water in a bucket as I was allowed to take the bottle inside but suddenly no liquids were allowed. Fine by me.

The park was empty Friday PM however that was the curfew night. Saturday daytime it was packed with people but lines were no longer than 35 minutes for anything during the day and that wait was for the flyers. Ride lines were outrageous for Saturday Scarowinds and we got Fast Lane Plus which was a lifesaver. Lines for Fury were 2-3 hours all night long and we waltzed right on that over and over again as well as bypassed I-232's 90-120 min line. Turns out I-232 is a really good time in the front row!! The mine train is hilarious and we rode that several times as well. Have a great time and report back!

I'm hoping I can get some immediate advice. I live in Atlanta and I have one evening in Charlotte tonight before I have a flight tomorrow morning. What is the cheapest option to get a Scarowinds ticket for tonight. Online is $40 but it includes admission for a Sunday which I won't use. It's just me going so any advice would be appreciated.