TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

THE BIG MIKE ROAD SHOW - 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY PICS ON PG 769

Large Michael,

I appreciate your candor in replying to my questions.

A few thoughts and questions:

* Give the people what they want - start a new thread. How great would it be for multiple Mammoth Miguel threads to be battling eachother? Since you're so amazing, why not create a battle against your only real competition = yourself?

* Take a year off, say in 2010, and donate the funds that would have gone towards another epic coaster season to a worthy cause. That would be awesome.

* Refrain from contests and other lame attempts to up your view count. Do it naturally, resist the urge to use the steroids of thread views and go natural brother.

* Let your minions, which are many, blow your own pipe. Too often I click into your thread, which I know you enjoy thinking about, and see you posting the latest power rankings. Trust me, if you went a few weeks without tooting your own horn - one of your peeps would do it for you. And your doucheyness factor would go down quite a bit.

* Are you saying that if the park says no, you will not take a picture? That is, is every picture you've ever taken on a ride "legit"? Or do you simply not ask at some parks knowing that the answer will be "no" and go stealth?

* I assume you are sticking with horribly annoying yellow/gold color for this year's shirt? Why? Wait, I just answered that question.

* What do your fellow UPS workers think of your hobby?

* What would you think the majority of folks the frequent this fine site would think - that you're awesome, and posting the blow by blow exploits of one Massive Mikey is super cool and entertaining OR that you're incredibly annoying? Obviously you have your fans, but if people were asked to answer honestly ... which side do you think the majority would fall?

^Not that Mike can't defend himself, but I just don't see why you come into this thread to be negative. If you don't like Big Mike then just stay away. There is no need to insult him in any way. This has been going on for months with you and it seems that all I see you post are negative things about Big Mike. Let the man live his life.

I for one can't wait to make my debut in this thread!!!

Elissa, please forgive me on this one. I'll certainly let it die immeditately afterward. I just needed to make one simple point that I think is going overlooked.

Large Michael,

I appreciate your candor in replying to my questions.

A few thoughts and questions:

* Give the people what they want - start a new thread. How great would it be for multiple Mammoth Miguel threads to be battling eachother? Since you're so amazing, why not create a battle against your only real competition = yourself?

* Take a year off, say in 2010, and donate the funds that would have gone towards another epic coaster season to a worthy cause. That would be awesome.

* Refrain from contests and other lame attempts to up your view count. Do it naturally, resist the urge to use the steroids of thread views and go natural brother.

* Let your minions, which are many, blow your own pipe. Too often I click into your thread, which I know you enjoy thinking about, and see you posting the latest power rankings. Trust me, if you went a few weeks without tooting your own horn - one of your peeps would do it for you. And your doucheyness factor would go down quite a bit.

* Are you saying that if the park says no, you will not take a picture? That is, is every picture you've ever taken on a ride "legit"? Or do you simply not ask at some parks knowing that the answer will be "no" and go stealth?

* I assume you are sticking with horribly annoying yellow/gold color for this year's shirt? Why? Wait, I just answered that question.

* What would you think the majority of folks the frequent this fine site would think - that you're awesome, and posting the blow by blow exploits of one Massive Mikey is super cool and entertaining OR that you're incredibly annoying? Obviously you have your fans, but if people were asked to answer honestly ... which side do you think the majority would fall?

In actuality, it would seem as though someone else craved an audience even moreso than our beloved Big Mike. I'm done.

On topic, looking forward to another great year of updates! Keep up the great, and entertaining work, Mike. You've certainly proven you're the bigger man!

Big Mike's Mission Statement says Don't Leave any Big Mike Readers Behind, and a goal is to answer everyones questions!

I hope everyone understands and does not get upset with me for answering Mr. Sky Whirls questions.

He is a TPR member after all, and a possible friend down the road maybe.

Some of his questions are actually pretty good ways to point out behind the scenes stories of The Big Mike Road Show that get buried without seeing the light of day in the thread.

Also, more than half of Mr. Sky Whirls all time posts have been in one way or another, directed at Big Mike and his most active topic is The Big Mike Road Show. So, even though he will not come right out and show it, he is a Valuable Big Mike Reader and I feel that maybe I can bring him over to the positive side one day and find a Big Mike Banner in his profile!

Mr Sky Whirl Interview #2

I do have competition though. The Six Flags Magic Mountain thread is years ahead of me, and The Sea World Manta thread is flying up my rear view mirror! The Manta thread is a 2008 thread, and I could lose the "#1 Thread of 2008" title. Thus splitting my thread would not be a good idea.

Also, say a Valuable Big Mike Reader was going on vacation and wanted to see a couple of parks Big Mike visited in 2008 to have an idea what to expect on thier vacation. Under your plan, The Big Mike Road Show 2008 thread would die off and get buried pages deep in the index, making it a lot of work for the reader to go find it. Under my plan, The Big Mike Road Show total thread has NEVER been off the front page, making it quick and easy to look up anything.

That would be awesome, but then why take a year of fun and possible friendship making and toss it aside? Big Mike still donates to United Way, Broadway Cares, local Childrens Organizations, ect. I feel it is an even split and fair to everyone. I would not feel good about stopping my contributions to charity all together and going on twice as many trips, thus I would not feel good about stopping all the coaster trips and then doubling the charity distributions. It is a fine mix now. Plus, I increased my friends quite a bit in 2008, and hopefully again in 2009. Maybe 2010 would be a trip to Texas and a new friendship with Mr. Sky Whirl, and I would hate to miss out on that!

That is like asking a tv station to just run tv shows and not any commercials. The pages views is what measures the success of your thread! To live up to my nickname that seems to have been bestowed on me here, The Master of Self Promotion, I need to come up with different ideas now and then. It is also what seperates every ordinary thread with the same old coaster pictures from my thread. Have you played Find the Ducky Mr Sky Whirl? I would bet that you searched for that little ducky at least once or said I found him It is just a little extra fun. Wait till you see the new prizes for 2009! Who wouldn't want free prizes for having a little fun?? I think The Valuable Big Mike Readers would miss the contests, in my opinion.

Actually, I do not post the standing all too often. When there is a big event or milestone, sure I brag a little. 250 pages so far, and I think I put about 15 standings up so far. Thats not a bad average. My Valuable Big Mike Readers deserve the right to just come into the thread and enjoy the content, there is no need for them to do any extra work looking up the statistics, I can do that for them. I take great pride in my thread and my accomplishments so far in the standings, so please don't take that as a sign of doucheyness. Also, I admit, I do enjoy anytime anyone including yourself clicks into my thread!

I admit, every ride picture is not legit. Every ride picture for the last 3/4 of the thread is legit. I know it may be very hard to believe, but this is the first year I have ever done a trip report and I never even took coaster pictures before this year either. Earlier in the year, I made a Valuable Big Mike Reader uncomfortable while taking a picture of us together on a lift hill. Said person did not object to a picture of us together, but it was the fact that it was taken on a coaster without permission. I was asked not to post that picture, which I did not. I learned from that point on to ask every time so that I don't break any rules and none of my friends are uncomfortable.

I am sticking with the same color, and it is officially gold. The reason is 3 fold and I will tell you the blatent honest truth why I picked the color:

1. The color stands out in group photos and all TPR videos and photos. It is easy to spot myself in updates.

2. I think I look the best with this color shirt when I have a nice dark tan.

3. I have kind of made a trade mark shirt for myself now. Big Mike is known for his gold shirt. A quick true story.... I was at Six Flags Magic Mountain and was spotted by a TPR reader on the opposite side of the platform. I was leaving and he called his friend cell phone on the exit ramp on speaker. I was walking by at the same exact time he was saying "Big Mike is here!!" His friend asked where and he said look for the gold shirt! Thats how he described me, so that is my "look". Plus it is better to wear in the sun than a darker shirt.

I am actually a big hit at UPS and have been highlighted in the UPS magazine. Very often, people will come up at work and ask about the next coaster trip or ask advice of a park they want to visit or vacation at. So overall it is a very positive response. I will just throw this out here, my bosses were huge fans of the bikini pictures and actually sat down in a meeting one day and told me their favorite girls in the Top 25 Bikini Bonanza.

I would estimate in my own opinion that the TPR community is probably divided into quarters. Here are the quarters:

The 1st quarter is people that already know me and know that I am not really like the guy I portray in this thread. They probably check in once in a while to see where I have been and enjoy the comic genius.

The 2nd quarter are people that I have not met but are totally entertained by all the hard work I do in picture taking and story telling, and admire my dedication to my thread and my travels.

The 3rd quarter are people on the fence, or are afraid to start viewing it now that they are 250 pages behind. It is like a tv show or a movie on its 4th movie, no one wants to jump into something not knowing what has happened so far.

The last quarter are people that think Big Mike is too cocky, too arrogant, too annoying, too full of himself ect ect. Also falling under this catagory would be people jealous of my popularity or have a strong distaste for my sense of humor. These people are actually displeased with the charactor Big Mike, and probably don't know the real Mike Betzler as a person.

This concludes tonights interview! Thanks to our special guest Big Mike and our interviewer Mr. Sky Whirl.

Feel free to leave any comments or further questions or to tell Big Mike which quarter everyone falls under!

Peace, Big Mike

PS - Find the Ducky Championship Answer coming up a little later tonight, had to reschedule to make room for this important interview!

PSS - Still waiting for The Big Mike Banner Mr. Sky Whirl

You know I was trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt with his post. It kind of sounded sarcastic so I didn't know what to make of it, but I suppose he has a history of being on the fence about TBMRS thread. Let's hope that banner shows up and gives us a pleasant surprise one day...

^ MrSkyWhirl, you have been warned about your creating drama in this thread in the past. It's not wanted here.

--Robb "BANTRONED!" Alvey

Ps. Theme Park Review absolutely endorses everything that Big Mike does. We encourage our readers to create on-going articles, videos, trip reports, etc that would be of interest to our readers for months or years to come!

I realize not everyone is going to like Big Mike's thread. Not everyone likes TPR's coaster videos. But do those who are fans, we thank you, and do those who are not, please refrain from viewing this content. It's that simple.

I was hoping that WCB would be your first stop on the 2009 BMRS after you had posted the date of March 22nd as the kickoff. Although I'm sure it will be difficult to get past your entourage and handlers , I look forward to meeting you there.

Looking back on your travels from last year, and it was obvious that you had a great time at a LOT of parks, which park would you pick as your favorite?

Thanks and keep up the great work.

THE FIND THE DUCKY FINAL ROUND ANSWERS

Hello Friends!!!

The moment everybody has been waiting for, to find out who is crowned Big Mike Reader of the Year Find the Ducky Champion!!!

Traincrossin vs. Team Thriller

I will let the pictures tell the story:

Peace, Big Mike

191.JPG.975417d771abc06d68f76f3ce5f422e7.JPG

There WAS a ducky trying to play the ladder game! BOTH players got this correct! Which player found the fifth hidden ducky??? The next post will explain it all! Peace, Big Mike

161.JPG.848b48d116744621468122dca294d394.JPG

There WAS a ducky in the greenery by this sign! BOTH players got this correct!

128.JPG.b143d71115e6460a620ea11f5cd208f2.JPG

There WAS a ducky in the sharks mouth! BOTH players got this correct!

112.JPG.9107d591a72c8faca6a74a74115fd7fb.JPG

There WAS a ducky on the lamp by the sign. BOTH players got this one correct!

Here is the final picture!!

Scroll down to build the suspense!!!

Unknown to most Big Mike Road Show Valuable Readers, there was a park visit after stop #105 Six Flags New England!

The gang went to visit Lake Compounce, but since Big Mke already did a report on this park, it was not announced!

We will get back to this in a minute.

The Final answer to the Find the Ducky Game was 4!!!!

There was no 5th hidden ducky!!!

Did I get you guys into thinking you lost?? lol

BOTH players got ALL the duckies!!!

After regulation time, we have a tie score!!!

You know what that means, right????

OVERTIME!!!

Now that above picture comes into play!

First, that picture is to mark the end of the 2008 coaster season!!

The last ride of the year was at Lake Compounce on Boulder Dash with the lovely Christiana

Let it go down in the record books.

Now, concerning OVERTIME!!!

Did Big Mike have an extra ducky game at Lake Compounce just in case???

There will be a final overtime find the ducky game as soon as Traincrossin and Team Thriller can both be online together with Big Mike at the same time! We will meet in the chat room, and when all 3 of us are there, I will post the final game.

First person with the correct answer wins the Championship!!!

Organize it guys and let me know!!

Sudden Death Overtime, what a way to end the season!!!

Peace, Big Mike

Hey Big Man! Let me know when you are at Castles N' Coasters and I'll be glad to join you. Hell, I'll even call in sick to work if you are going during the weekday just so I can hang out with my fellow Spain 2007 RYHC buddy.

Jimmy "Big Mike is the best" Bo

Looking back on your travels from last year, and it was obvious that you had a great time at a LOT of parks, which park would you pick as your favorite?

I honestly can say that any park visit is much better if you have Valuable Big Mike Readers attending with you!

The fun and friendships make the park visit at least 10 times better for me.

I could go to one of the best parks by myself and not have as much fun as going to a junky park with friends.

I would say the best park visit and park event would be CoasterMania at Cedar Point, being it is already my favorite park and I met a LOT of friends there. Cedar Point did a great job! I have a feeling WCB though will top that this year!

That said, there is NO COMPARISON to a 2 week TPR trip with 50 friends!!

Thats when your friends become more like your family. It's a great feeling!

Kind of like Jimmy and Daron, who just posted really nice words about me. These are two SOLID friends from TPR trips. Thanks for the kind words guys!!

I have been on 4 trips with Robb so far, plus other various places, and the way he just stood up for me and my thread made me proud! I consider Robb my "brother" and would go to bat for him at all times, and thats what it is all about to me.

People make the best experiences at the parks, so find me the most TPR friends to hang out with and I will tell you that is the answer.

Peace, Big Mike

I read your 2009 schedule and was glad to see that you'll be at West Coast Bash in just over a week. If you've not been to that event, you're in for a treat. I'll be there and look forward to meeting you.

And that goes for anyone.

Eric