TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

An E Ticket was a ride people were willing to pay the most for. If we went back to them, would the average person pay the same for RSR as they would Mansion, or Indy, or Screamin? And pay it multiple times? Or Chose Racers OVER the other E tickets at DCA. Kids would, but not adults, unless doing it with their kid. But are little girls going to give a darn about the ride?

RO

As to other comments, yeah it is amazing tha WWoHP as a whole was the same as RSR, but that's what seems to be the costs. The 125 foot mountain range, not 200 that people keep throwing out, is no more amazing than the 90 or so foot tall Hogwarts. In fact I think Hogwarts is MUCH more original and impressive. Big Thhunder has been around for decades.

If you find comments from non fanboys, there seems to be a common thread of non 10 year old boys being underwhelmed. I'm sorry, no matter how people try and rationalize it, a $250 million family ride aimed at little boys is not a great investment, unless it vastly increases Cars merch sales. Maybe it will,I don't know. But I think someone planning a trip solely because of Carsland has drank too much Kool-Aid.

-RO

You know what's not relevant? Lettered tickets. In case you have been under a rock for the past 30 years, the park is pay-one-price these days, and I don't think Disneyland or 99% of the people visiting the park think about that. Can't you guys just enjoy the rides and not argue about what kind of ticket you wouldve needed to ride it 30+ years ago?

But I think someone planning a trip solely because of Carsland has drank too much Kool-Aid

I'd say wait till next year, when the projected attendance reports for this year come out, but clearly you know it all so that isn't necessary?

Lets keep the discussion civil. The tone is getting a little heated.

As for the comparisons to WWoHP, that's actually a great comparison: non Harry Potter fans leave that land underwhelmed too (see the 10000 page discussion/debate on the topic on these very boards), yet that sure hasn't stopped Universal from making a fortune because the brand is so strong.

FYI: As of an article I found dated June 2011, the Cars brand had sold $8 billion dollars in merchandise. I'd say that qualifies as a brand many people enjoy.

^In the early days of Disney, the parks were pay-per-ride with a ticket system. A-Tickets got you access to the worst rides and E-Tickets got you access to the best. You would buy a book of them and use them as you went (One ticket per ride), with the option to buy more. An E-Ticket is a premium, signature ride in a park.

This goes into more detail.

Edited by OCJ48

Ah. Thank you. This all makes much more sense now.

Do you all think there would be much difference in crowd levels between Friday the 22nd and Monday the 25th?

Do you guys know how many people go to Disney and don't go on the thrill rides? Or they go on the big rides, but not if they are too fast like Rockin Rollercoaster/California Screamin etc. That is a HUGE percentage of people. RSR is made for everybody to go on, including kids and old people. Also I don't think people realize that Test Track has a long history of a myraid of problems relating to the cars getting the **** beaten out of them because of the high speeds which causes millions of dollars more in maintenance costs.

My point being this topic has become a typical "look out for my own interests" discussion and not realize the diversity in Disney's business demographics. You know who spends a lot more money than you do? People who are there on vacation with their kids/grandkids. We got someone a few posts back saying that this ride was a waste of money. I want this guy to prove it, c'mon mr. keeper of the balance sheet where are the #'s?

Edited by jsf2011

I think pretty much everything at Disneyland is targeted toward 10 year olds (or less).

Rastuso, I think your just having some "early life crisis" and realizing that you have outgrown Disneyland's target market, till you have kids that is.

I think Cars is a great Disney property and a good thing to have built a ride around but what were you expecting? It's Disneyland, they are going to build something Disney.

I mean rides like California Screamin are great, it's a good coaster, but simple rides like that are exactly what gave California Adventure it's crappy reputation. There is nothing Disney about that ride, and that's why people go to Disneyland. Racers is 100% Disney and everyone but you is going to love it.

Thunder Mountain isn't the best coaster in the world, but people don't automatically think it's a piece of crap just because other coasters go faster and they wasted money on a fake mountain. That thing was my favorite ride as a kid and I remember riding it over and over at night just before closing with my sister, and as you get older that is what Disneyland is about.

Do you all think there would be much difference in crowd levels between Friday the 22nd and Monday the 25th?

That's a tough one. I would guess that Monday may be slightly more crowded since Southern California passes are good that day and not on Friday, but both days will probably be fairly equal. I'd say just pick whichever day fits your schedule better and make the best of it.

I think pretty much everything at Disneyland is targeted toward 10 year olds (or less).

Rastuso, I think your just having some "early life crisis" and realizing that you have outgrown Disneyland's target market, till you have kids that is.

I think Cars is a great Disney property and a good thing to have built a ride around but what were you expecting? It's Disneyland, they are going to build something Disney.

I mean rides like California Screamin are great, it's a good coaster, but simple rides like that are exactly what gave California Adventure it's crappy reputation. There is nothing Disney about that ride, and that's why people go to Disneyland. Racers is 100% Disney and everyone but you is going to love it.

Thunder Mountain isn't the best coaster in the world, but people don't automatically think it's a piece of crap just because other coasters go faster and they wasted money on a fake mountain. That thing was my favorite ride as a kid and I remember riding it over and over at night just before closing with my sister, and as you get older that is what Disneyland is about.

In my opinion you hit the nail absolutely on the head. Also(to go back to an earlier argument made) Harry Potter is(despite what people may think) a series made for young adults and is a beloved franchise... similar to Cars. Admittedly HP is bigger than Cars, but Cars is a beloved franchise that does adhere to children, but it is a success in most demographics. My Dad is 50 and Cars is his favorite Pixar movie... and he knows the franchise, it's not like it's an obscure TV or something, it is a major motion picture. Also keep in mind Disneyland and DCA(since there one in the same) has more passholders than any other theme park... my friend renewed with the price increase to go to Carsland and, despite what you have been saying, I have heard many good reviews from non fanboys who are close to me in age. Disney's not for everyone admittedly, I am far more of a theme park enthusiast than an amusement park enthusiast... I live within driving distance of Knott's and SFMM and I visit each once a year while I visit Disney over fifty times a year. I will pay "top dollar" for a park willing to invest in an attraction like Carsland because I can enjoy it with my friends, but I also went to Disneyland with my friend and her 5 year old niece and we all had an awesome time despite large age differences because of the "magic." Not everyone gets the "magic" aspect, but with a ride as well themed as something like Thunder Mountain I still notice new details and can appreciate it despite riding it easily 100 times in my life while my friend who went to Disneyland for the fifth time in his life this year loved the ride! Carsland is the same way in my opinion... people will be willing to spend money to experience it, despite their ages.

Now... in six(ish) hours I will be riding RSR for the first time and I will post a full review tomorrow!

I think this quote from David and Spears' media day report comments sums it up:

Totally blown away by this all. Disney has out done themselves with Carsland. I mean, if they can make someone who doesn't even like Cars to love this land, they've done something really right!

And this one:

Awesome! Thank you for all of your and Brittany's hard work. Cars Land simply is amazing. DCA now feels likes a complete park with this addition.

Neither of these guys is a 10-year-old boy, for the record.

And Slushie's post too, that was just about perfect. Really did hit the nail on the head there.

Just to add on to these points, because they are 100 percent true. Disneyland Resort (and all other resorts up to date) were built with Disney's vision of 1) getting away from the outside world and not having your everyday struggles and worries ruin your day. 2) Also taking guests and putting THEM in the story as heroes or navigators, or even tourists traveling through a very foreign environment (i.e. Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Carribean, and so on...) and 3) the premise behind the park was that Walt wanted to be able to ride attractions with his youngsters or have his youngsters ride with them to share in the enjoyment and experience.

That is part of Disney's formula, the family experience. To enter through the gates, and lose yourselves as a family in Adventure, Fantasy, or in Tomorrow. Yeah California Screamin' is a great coaster to teens, enthusiasts and other young adults that enjoy riding rides, but the kids have to be left behind (i.e. 48 Inch height Requirement, too scared/intimidated). Yeah Flik's Fun Fair is enjoyable for the little ones, but seriously, what adult wants to ride the lady bugs when in the other park you have the Mad Hatter Tea Party (Tea-Cups) where you can ride with your child in a much more enjoyable environment.

I by no means am a DLR Fan-Boy. Yeah I love Disney but I thought I would finally post this because I think a lot of people miss the point when everyone else is talking about why DCA has not been a popular destination for over 10 years.

EDIT: And for the record, I enjoy Thunder Mountain any day, any time... Probably nostalgia for me but whatever right?

I'm well aware of kids and Disney and Cars licensing dollars. However, IMHO, RSR is an extremely expensive ride for what it delivers. Yes Disney caters to kids, but they have never spent anywhere near this much on a ride, let alone a non state of the art ride.

Non Cars fans may like the ride and the land and the new entry plaza, but would they have liked anything that cost a billion dollars? And I'd have to guess that putting in 5 $200 million rides would have impressed folks more than what was put in.

Yeah, JJ is old, we all know that, but a lot of people at the park are. His opinion isn't totally unique, but right now, the den of fanboys and media that were wined and dined callin gCarsland the most brilliant theme park expansion ever, is a bit annoying.

-rO

It's amazing how many complaints you can get about a brand-new land that, unlike plenty of other additions Disney has done, was built on property not occupied by any existing rides. They literally expanded the park to a larger size giving us a beautiful new area, an amazing-looking E-Ticket, and two new, interesting (away from the Dumbo formula) flats. Yay new stuff!

I watched most of the video. But a lot of animatrons don't make an E Ticket. Is SPaceship Earth an E Ticket by today's standards? It has amazing sets, tons of animatrons, and is in a huge building. What about Sinbad At TDS? I loved it, it has great sets, tons of animatronics. But it ain't no E Ticket, and probably cost a fraction of RSR, even inflation adjusted.

As I've said before, RSR strikes me as the first kids E Ticket. Which does not equal an adult E Ticket, even though it cost a fortune.

Really? Back when E Ticket actually meant something (other than an argument buzzword), the following rides were among the official E Tickets:

* Disneyland Railroad

* Monorail

* Submarine Voyage

* Mark Twain Steamboat

* Sailing Ship Columbia

* Tom Sawyer Island

* Enchanted Tiki Room

* It's a Small World

All those rides had less thrills, full AAs, and theming than RSR, and all could be considered "kids" rides (and none in that list had height or age limits).

I can't believe people would complain about RSR. I think most people would agree it's a top 10 dark ride. It may not beat Indy or Journey, but that doesn't make it suck. It's an amazing dark ride that fits perfectly at DCA. Plus, it came along with possibly the most highly themed land ever created, and two bonus flat rides, one of which is completely unique and resurrects a classic Disney attraction.

If this doesn't impress you then you are VERY hard to impress:

097.thumb.JPG.24e17931d4f30cc9ebab6491ecf0847f.JPG

Like anyone not an under-10 year old boy, I'm not a huge fan of the movies, but was astonished at how amazing looking the AA characters look in the ride.

I love Cars! Soooo, this makes me under 10 years old again? I guess that means I get to pretty much start life over? This day just got a whole lot more interesting!

Anyway, I still can't get over how good this "land" looks. If Cars Land is any indication of the future of U.S. Disney "land" design based on popular franchises, then I'm pretty interested to see what the Imagineers and James Cameron drum up for Avatar....even though I have zero interest in the movie itself.

Edited by BeemerBoy