TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

In my honest opinion the new trains are WAY more painful. I am not huge, but not short (5'11ish) and my legs pretty much locked... there was very little room. Not everyone in my group shared my opinion that it made the ride worse, but no one thought the trains improved the ride. A little disappointed... need to give it a few more rides, but the new trains may take it off my favorite coaster list... it was never a top 10 but it held a special place in my heart and was my favorite coaster at Disneyland... need to reevaluate that.

^ I'm 6' 1", and at first glance when getting in the trains they looked tight, because your legs now go on either side of the person in front of you in carved out leg pockets, rather than just having a large open seat to place your legs wherever you want. However, once settling in, I found there to be enough room, and it didn't feel cramped to me.

But yeah, the ride experience seemed no better than before. So is the slight increase in capacity worth losing the old sleds? I suppose different people would give different answers.

There may be other reasons Disney changed to these sleds though. The new seat belt system is easier to use, and presumably locks once you leave the station. The old seat belts didn't lock, which their lawyers may not have liked. Also, a total guess, buy maybe these sleds are easier to maintain? Plus I think they share the same design as the trains on Space Mountain in Florida, so maybe having a larger fleet of the same trains makes replacement parts cheaper and easier to get? Just a few other possible reasons Disney may have made the switch.

I'm 6'3" and I really did not have much of an issue with leg room. I think I may be just used to the trains due to they are very similar to the ones at MK's Space Mountain. However, unlike those Space Mountain trains, the new Matterhorn trains lack padding which honestly made my ride quite uncomfortable when compared to the old trains.

^ Two questions: I know you said there's no padding, but is it all hard molded plastic with literally no give at all? And secondly, do the trains remain outside in the elements year-round, or is there any real shelter in the off hours? I mean, it's not like SoCal has much rain to deal with, but still, a lack of any soft padding definitely helps with maintenance. Just a thought.

The hard molded plastic had very little give, so to me it felt like you were riding with wood planks behind my lower back. I assume they store them in some kind of covered station somewhere, since the old trains had quite a bit of padding on them.

The vehicles are stored outside either on the station track or on the spur track directly next to the station. There is no indoor storage facility.

The only times they are in a covered facility is when they are out for refurb in which they are completely removed from the track.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like every new coaster these days gets complaints about the restraints. I don't remember people complaining about restraints 5 years ago, or 10 years ago, or whenever, I never remember complaints until here recently. Maverick, I305, Skyrush, Wild Eagle, and now Matterhorn.

I don't remember people complaining about noodles 5 years ago, or 10 years ago, or whenever, I never remember complaints until here recently.

Then I guess it's only a matter of time before Carthay Circle gets harsh reviews....

Udon Noodle Bowl - With Red Thai Curry Broth, shrimp and mussels, shitake Mushrooms, bok choy, daikon, mint, cashews and fresh coriander. - $19.00

I'm reasonably sure that if there had been a slew of coaster-enthusiast discussion boards in 1996, there would've been plenty of complaints about these:

Now to get back on topic, how about that Carthay Circle restaurant--sounds awesome!

Edited by cfc

^Yeah you're probably right about that, I'll admit that those were pretty awful. My point is that it seems like these days people would rather complain about an attraction/ride/section/park/restaurant/ for what it's not rather than embrace it for what it is. It's just something I've noticed lately (and in lots of other fields besides coaster fans too), and I'm just tired or hearing it all the time.

Off my soap box and back to Disney now.

I am usually quite positive with most of my reviews. But, if I find if they change something to make it worse I will speak up about it. I really like the Matterhorn, I just find the backs of the new trains to be quite uncomfortable. The same goes with the newish lap bars on SFNE's Bizzaro. I simply can not ride that more than a couple of times without it simply killing my legs. The old trains were simply better IMO.

Rode today...My thoughts are this: it's visually stunning. The rock work and animatronics are top notch. I definitely enjoyed it as a theme park nerd. However, I agree that it is missing a "OMFG WOW" moment to really set it apart. But if you liked the movie (as I did), you'll definitely enjoy the ride. It's fun and well done. The windshield eye wraps are not short people friendly: with the darker show lighting inside the show building, I couldn't see anything in front of me clearly.

The land itself is definitely the most detailed of any Disney land outside of TDS. It is smaller than pictures make it look. Crowd control in the area is messy.

The true star of DCA 2.0 is the Carthay Circle restaurant. Not only is the food delicious, it is one of the most immersive environments found in any Disney park. You are definitely taken back to the 1930's when inside that place.

Hmmmmm

^I don't know how you're trying to interpret my comments, so maybe I should be more clear: absolutely nothing disappointed me about the area or the ride. Just because it was not as thrilling as Test Track or doesn't feature a "HOLY SH*T" moment doesn't mean it is not a great ride that was still very enjoyable and impressive.

But that debate is done...there's really nothing more anyone can add to that discussion. No need to drag that discussion on any further.

So, yeah...about those Matterhorn seats...

I went back last night to meet up with Hector, get a second ride and do some shopping.

We headed for the single rider line, which was blocked off. When that line reaches the marquee, they close it for a little to let it die down, and NOT spill over into the walkway. Kind of annoying, but makes sense in the long run. They told us to come back in about 15-20 minutes. We wandered, saw some street performers with "DJ" (it was actually very well done), and looked in the shops that had hour long lines just a week before. Also took some time to notice more details around Carsland. Granted, I've only been twice, but it's quite nice to notice small details that you hadn't seen before.

After about 20 minutes the line had reopened. We got on in about 25 minutes. I'm guessing that a full single rider line (to the marquee) is about 50-60 minutes.

(BTW- The stand-by line was about 2-1/2 hours. It was about 5:30pm)

The windshield eye wraps are not short people friendly: with the darker show lighting inside the show building, I couldn't see anything in front of me clearly.

I didn't take that into consideration on my first ride. I guess I can say that I didn't notice it the first time, as I had no reference. This time I was fortunate enough to be placed in a rear seat. It made world of difference, as the seats are about 2-3 inches higher as well. This time the whole indoor portion was much more enjoyable, as I had a much larger field of vision (unobstructed by the darkened windshield). Still seems a tad bit fast in the dark ride section, but DEFINITELY better.

I was also fortunate enough to go through Ramone's paint shop (right side at the split). The automatic paint machines are the same as the "corrosion" test on TT, with a HD video of Ramone and Flo talking to you as you go through. (I prefer the effects of Luigi's side. "Peeeet Stop!) The race is still pretty tame, but overall a much better ride experience from the rear seat.

Did some wandering through ALL the stores (Carsland and Buena Vista St.), most of which had HUGE lines last week. I enjoyed taking in the sights of the store interiors. They are ALL very well done. Did a little shopping, completed a cast-member survey (5 min) and went home. Not bad for a 2 hour visit after work.

JJ

^&^^ - Yeah. At 5:30 pm, a 2.5hr wait is pretty damn long.

This front row issue sounds pretty massive, and wasn't mentioned in fanboy reviews.will a ten year old boy see much at all if he's sitting front center?

Yes, and no. The entire ride experience is so enveloping that they won't notice that. They'll still be too wide-eyed at this point to notice. (I.e. "shiny objects")

I'll post a few pics of things that haven't been shown yet later tonight when I get off work.

JJ

Just deleted some posts.

Sorry, we aren't going to start this TPR vs. Rastuso debate that we had going to on last week. We've asked that everyone move on, so let's leave it at that.

Edited by ernierocker