TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Could a Track Jumping Coaster Be Possible?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be rude at all...but,

God this is a stupid question.

Yeah exactly, what about the change in momentum? Every ride would have a different total mass and the velocity would never be exactly the same. And the collison when it hits the ground? What if the car doesn't land perfectly parallel to the track? Lawsuit! Well I better stop myself from going on and just say it will never happen.

Not to be rude at all...but,

God this is a stupid question.

LMAO! Best post of the thread!

Although I was about to start a thread saying "Do you every think we'll see a coaster that bursts into flames and crashes into a wall" but then I thought that might be a stupid question.

--Robb

^^ And speaking of rides on the moon, I believe there's a certain ride op in Florida who already has his application in for that.

For argument's sake (aside from the stupidy of the original topic), couldn't you consider Expedition Everest as similiar to the tilt coaster... in theory anyway?

Like most others I agree its far too complex or at least too costly for todays technology, regardless of whether you could insure it or not.

And if someone did build one, it would probably have tons of downtime, couldn't operate in anything but perfect conditions, be very rough, costly to maintain, would end up killing someone, to then to be reprofiled without the jump.

So does that mean it would be perfect for CP? do I see an 09? hmmm?

With today's advancements in polymer technology, I'd bet it would be possible for a coaster to create the illusion of jumping by constructing some kind of super-durable resin-based track sections in crystal clear.

Problem with that is, you'd still see it because it would be like a giant prism and the sun would reflect through it. I'm sure if you enclosed it in a tunnel, or did something so that you could see the "absence" of track, but not the presence of the polymer, it would be pretty damn effective.

I've thought about that before, and I think it could work.

-Josh

Possible? Yes, only if there is some sort of super wieght distributor machine on the cars that keeps it from missing the track, or if it has small jets that keep it in line with the gap. Personally, I would go a different route: Simply make the track invisible. Within 25 years, the United States Army will issue Infantry Suits that not only are super effective against projectiles, but can magnify you strength greatly (try jumping 35 feet high without one of these babies) AND make you invisible - it has cameras (lots) studded around the body armor to display the image behind it, thus making it seem invisible. However, they are extremely expensive. So, all we have to do is wait for the technology to evolve to a point where there are cameras that can withstand several tons of force and weight (which such technoogy probably won't be developed for centuries) so yeah a gap coaster Thrillville: Off the Rails style is not feasible with today's technology.

I know people aren't going to like me saying this but a coaster that jumps off its tracks is more possible I fell then most people think, if you think abut it in a little lees of a conventional way. Right now every one is looking at it from a very conventional stand point and not being creative enough

As for the tilt coaster I always wanted to see more of them, wonder if that also is an insurance problem.

As for the coaster that goes up and down that is cool.

As for the idea of using inner and out tracks that would be really cool I think on a coaster like griffin that is 10 wide.

Think about and then as you approach the drop and are on the holding brake the middle track disappears and all that is holding you up is two side tracks that you can position off in a way that most people wont even realize there there.

The problem is with this is you need a way to aline the wheels just right or again you can have a catastrophic failure.

Track switching during a ride I do fell would be possible if designed properly. and especially if it is done at block brake sections, if something in the switch doesn't go right they can just stop the ride.

Everyone is going on the convention that the ride has rails. It would seem that it would be much easier for a bobsled to jump the track than for a conventional tubular steel coaster to jump the track. It's still a stupid idea, but I'm just saying.

There used to be one in Japan. ACE had pics in an old RC!. The coaster had two jumps where it left the track and hit a water splashdown, then it reattached to the track, probably ala Buzzsaw at SDC. I assume the park is closed or R&E would have onride of it by now. I'm sure there are pics on RCDB.

-R

I agree the waterslide looks painful, and that clear plastic "roof* on the top section, if you happen to be going down with your head up just high enough or sitting up too much due to the angle you are going down it, yeeooouchhh, reminds me of that slide at Four Bears (now closed), I remember a side called Lightning where you had to wear a helmet lol, I didn't give it a shot...

Possible? Yes, only if there is some sort of super wieght distributor machine on the cars that keeps it from missing the track, or if it has small jets that keep it in line with the gap. Personally, I would go a different route: Simply make the track invisible.

The invisible track idea would be entirely possible on an indoor coaster IMO, as long as all the lighting was set up properly and you painted the track appropriately (use a lighter colour for the track you want to see, and a dark matte colour for the track you want to hide)

The key would be to shape the hill for perfect floater air, keep it quiet (for example, sand filling only on the "jump" sections, but leaving the normal track hollow so there is a clear difference in sound), and perhaps having on-board speakers that assist with the illusion, in the lead up to the jump, play tense music reaching a crescendo, but during the jump stop the music, and just have the sound of wind whistling. At the end of the jump, perhaps introduce a deliberate jerk/spot of roughness to really give the feeling of landing on the track.

Another entirely different idea for a jump would be just to make a big multi person version of those coin operated Nordic jet rides (from the makers of the butterfly coaster). Just make it like a jet boat, angle the track upward slightly and there you have a somewhat simpler and less risky way of having a jump, if you wanted, just have a coaster section at the start so at least they could say it was a coaster with a jump.

Whatever kind of jumping track you create, a large part of the problem will be keeping the train horizontal with the track once it jumps. For example, I could ride the coaster twice with a group of friends - and we agree beforehand to lean all the way to the left on the first ride and all the way to the right on the second ride. Thus the train will tilt in different directions, and no amount of weigh-in prior to the jump will be able to predict this.

--Luko