TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

Clash of the Titans was so "meh" that I really expected one of the actors to start saying more corny lines like "And remember, don't look this b*tch in the eye". Doesn't really get much cornier than that. Screenplay FTL. And the special effects looked almost like they were from the 90's, there's been better CGI in tons of movies since 2000 than in this movie. A mildly entertaining movie, it's a rent it for sure.

---Brent

Planet 51 - Saw this on the plane, was pretty ho-hum. The plot was a possibly good idea, having a human be the "alien" to aliens, and they could have done more with it, but it ended up being really unoriginal and boring.

Dancing Across Borders - I doubt anyone here has seen or will see this but if you're interested in dance it's really good! It's a documentary about a Cambodian boy who was discovered dancing Cambodian style at his school and brought to America to learn ballet, and is pretty interesting. It's amazing how much he learned in such a short time and how much natural talent he had.

^ From what I'm hearing is they were really trying to do some "retro" special effects as kind of a nod to the original.

But pretty much everything I've heard about the movie has been bad. I'll be waiting for rental.

The only scenes where I wasn't crazy about the special effects was during their interactions with Medusa. The effects looked too much like the Scorpion King from Mummy 2. ...While I thought the Kraken and giant scorpions were actually done quite well.

I liked the Kraken scenes with the Pegasus flying through the tentacles. Overall, this ones visuals suffered from the "too much of a good thing" syndrome. The 3-D was good, not that throw crap at the camera stuff made famous in the 80's, but there was often so much going on and so in your face that I got confused and didn't know what to look at.

It was good eye candy, but IMHO they strayed too far from the plot of the original. Maggie "McGonnagal" Smith played Thetis in the original, and in this re-make none of the goddesses had anything to do. boo- hiss

KICK ASS

One brilliantly funny, dark, disturbing, clap out loud movie. 10 out 10. See this now!

*I should add this is not a Childrens/Teenage movie, voilent, controversial, bloody" that family and church groups in Australia tired to have the film banned!!

But a shit load of fun.

Control

I saw Control by Anton Corbijn yesterday. It's a biopic about Ian Curtis of Joy Division and is based on the book Touching from a Distance by his wife Deborah. It's shot in black and white and won a few awards when it was released back in 2007.

Sam Riley, the guy playing Curtis, had him down to a t.

Very Bad Things: Thed only movie I have ever struggled through morally and ethically to finish. The even more ****** up part is it was actually kind of funny in some parts. I am now literally sitting in my room thinking how I can be at all a decent human being and enjoy a comedy that dark. For all that like EXTREME(I MEAN EXTREME)ly DARK comedy you may enjoy this, if not stay away. This movie is mean spirited, has nothing to offer for humanity and has no morality or happy ending what so ever, but it is shocking and somewhat brilliant besides the fact that the director of this movie must be an evil man. I am literally somewhat sickened with myself, if anyone else has seen this please post or something, its on Netflix. OMG! I need to pray or something, lol, WOW! I am giving this movie a 1/5 and a 5/5. It gets a 1/5 simply becasue it was so dark and I honestly dont know if I can recommend it. It gets a 5/5 becasue it is also brilliant and incredibly well done and is a completely brilliant satire of the American Dream and modern America, and the film started with such a familiar premise, a bachelor party in Vegas, that the aftermath also made the film extrememly original.

I don't know why they even tried to market Very Bad Things as a dark comedy. It's really a dark morality tale with a sprinkling of humor. But yeah, that one pushed my comfort zone (which is very wide) too...which was the point. If you liked this one, I highly recommend that you watch A Simple Plan. It's the best dark morality tale ever.

Just got back from Kick-A$$. VERY intense movie, and I laughed almost the whole damn time. 10/10, you OWE it to yourself to see this!

Agreed, a very good movie for me. Not necessarily a 10/10 on my scale, but easily a very high 8 or a 9. An awesome movie that is quite awesome with some damn funny moments. Also, I am biased cause I hate Nicholas Cage, although he was okay in this movie, but I just dont like him. If I liked Nicholas Cage I would probably give it a 10/10, and he wasnt even that bad in the movie, although the way he spoke was kind of annoying. GO SEE THIS! I was not expecting much and it delivered!

According to IMDB (grain of salt provided), he was modelling his speech after Adam West's Batman, since he hates the gravelly Christian Bale version.

I too went in with minimal expectations; the trailers and the like don't do it nearly enough justice.

According to IMDB (grain of salt provided), he was modelling his speech after Adam West's Batman, since he hates the gravelly Christian Bale version.

That scene in the bedroom between Kick ass and big daddy was a clap inducing, full laugh out loud moment. Cage was wonderful.