TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I caught Shaun the Sheep last weekend and enjoyed it--another good, low-key piece of claymation from Aardman. Although I have nothing against computer-animated flicks (hey, times and technology change), it's nice to see a piece of "hand-on" stop motion for a change.

I very much regret choosing Chappie over Shawn the Sheep on my British Airways flight last week. It came down to Big Eyes, Chappie & Shawn the Sheep in the final two hours and knowing nothing of the 3 made a very bad decision based on I'd just watched Ex Machina and thought I'd keep up the AI theme.

I didn't regret choosing Ex Machina though, I thought it was quite an interesting film. Although the censorship of films on the plane was a bit weird, my wife watched Fast & Furious 7 and every-time anyone in a bikini showed up, they got censored whereas I was watching Ex Machina which suddenly sprung into a lot of full frontal nudity at the end which was a bit awkward since I found out afterwards anyone going to the bathroom could see all the screens when they walked down the aisle (I realized this when I went to the back bathroom and counted how many people were watching Avengers 2 in economy while waiting for a Korean lady to brush her teeth.) It probably didn't help that was only 1 row away from the front bathroom and next to the aisle. Thankfully Gone Girl only flashed it on-screen as opposed to 5 straight minutes.

Saw Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation; quickly became one of my favorites of the year and my favorite of the franchise. The plot holds together and perfectly strings together a series of exciting and exhilarating action sequences, from a great sequence in an opera house to one of the best motorcycle chase scenes out there. Rogue Nation is definitely worth a watch. It has a couple minor pacing issues (131 minutes long), but it doesn't hinder the movie down much at all. Performances are great all around, Simon Pegg steals the show for me again. Check it out!

Saw it yesterday. Really fun. I think the fourth one is still my favorite but this is next. It's great how we're in the fifth one and, unlike other cases, the films are not losing any quality at all.

We're near the end of our 27th queer film fest, Out On Screen, and I must say,

there's been some really terrific movies shown this year. I think the BIGGEST hit so far,

has been Grandma starring Lily Tomlin! Great movie and she was wonderful in the lead role.

OutOnScreen2015a.JPG.6bf7763566b5edbe7d642f7e89d6c208.JPG

How I plus up my Super Pass, from year to year. (o;

OutOnScreen2015b.jpg.a6ff2e003a847b8183c8bdba9a498a83.jpg

Me, my pass and my schedule all worked out, lol. August 13/15. (Thanks Clark for the photos)

WOO HOO!

My 3D Blu-ray copy of BIG HERO 6 arrived, just a few minutes ago!

And I just noticed the "Classics #" on it - 53 - my birth year!

Awesome!

IMG_8119.JPG.b62b2402847a46baaad2c441997e8723.JPG

Can't wait to see it again - later.

I saw Mission Imposdible last week on imax really good movie. This Monday I just saw Hitman Agent 47 was OK. Also does anyone like what movie theatres are doing adding new leather recliner seating? A few theatres in the twin cities are remodeling to leather recliner seats making it for a more enjoyable movie experience. I think your going to see movie all movie theatres switching to leather recliner seats in the future.

I just came home from the cinema after having watched "Bølgen" (Norwegian title, translates to "The Wave"). This is the first disaster movie produced in Norway (and I think in Scandinavia), and I thought it was great. I also like that it's based on a very real scenario. Of course there are some of the classic disaster movie clichés, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Here's the trailer with English subtitles

• 2 weeks later...

I saw The Martian earlier today, thought it was an excellent film. Great acting, nice visual effects, good soundtrack, and an interesting plotline that wasn't completely predictable. I've always been a fan of space movies, and this one did not disappoint.

I just came home from the cinema after having watched "Bølgen" (Norwegian title, translates to "The Wave"). This is the first disaster movie produced in Norway (and I think in Scandinavia), and I thought it was great. I also like that it's based on a very real scenario. Of course there are some of the classic disaster movie clichés, but overall I really enjoyed it.

That really looks like a great movie, it'll be one that I'll have to keep an eye out on to watch. Thanks.

I watched Kevin Smith's Tusk last weekend. This would-be horror-comedy started aa a scenario spun out during a podcast, and it should've died there, too. A good performance by Michael Parks, as a serial killer with a literal boner for walruses, is completely wasted, as the movie's one-joke premise, which I won't spoil for those who may wish to see it, drags on for more than 1 hour, 45 minutes.

Edited by cfc

Here's the trailer with English subtitles

That looks really good!

^Agreed. I want to see that!

So last week's version of Rifftrax Live was the film MIAMI CONNECTION, which is about a rock band named Dragon Sound that are all also martial arts masters that end up fighting drug dealers and ninjas. It is terrible and amazing '80's cheese, only made more amusing by the Rifftrax commentary. The whole movie is on You Tube if you want to experience it.

Plus it contains awesome musical moments, like this:

dt

^Agreed. I want to see that!

So last week's version of Rifftrax Live was the film MIAMI CONNECTION, which is about a rock band named Dragon Sound that are all also martial arts masters that end up fighting drug dealers and ninjas. It is terrible and amazing '80's cheese, only made more amusing by the Rifftrax commentary. The whole movie is on You Tube if you want to experience it.

Plus it contains awesome musical moments, like this:

dt

Oh lord, that show was hilarious. The short subject about "Measuring Man" was worth the price of admission by itself.

The movie, since it took place largely in Orlando and not Miami, should've been titled "Dragon Sound vs. the WORST NINJAS EVER."

Edited by cfc

^ Speaking of disaster movies, I just saw Everest. It was actually really good and tragic.

We went and saw it Friday...very tragic indeed.

While I never had climbing Mt. Everest on my bucket list, seeing this movie wipes away any thought that it would ever conceivably make it on there.