The official NFL Discussion Thread

spaceace12

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that would make the game more fun to watch...from the comfort of my living room! All the executives will just go hide in one of the many clubs or their suites, since that is basically who attends the Super Bowl now anyways.

Edited by Jew

Wasn't there some sort of incentive set by the NFL a few years ago for teams that if they built a new stadium then they could host the Superbowl? Pretty sure Indy, Phoenix, Dallas, Detroit, and next year New York had never hosted a Superbowl (at least not in a while) until they all built new stadiums.

Wasn't there some sort of incentive set by the NFL a few years ago for teams that if they built a new stadium then they could host the Superbowl?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that too.

I'm completely against a cold weather site. If you're gonna have a championship game of any sort, for any sport, the playing surface and conditions should be as favorable as possible (ex:it's bad enough that the World Series has crept into frickin' November). It's supposed to be about showcasing the best two teams and their talents, and you can't do that if both quarterbacks have to hand off 75% of the game due to their hands being frozen and the ball feeling like a rock!

There's just no logical reason for giving one team an advantage over another in the most important game of the season. Obviously you can't prevent rain in traditional SB places like Miami or SoCal, but to run the risk of having inclement weather decide the outcome is absurd.

I'm still seriously hoping for a blizzard next year, just to eff up the NFL's plans. Having northern cities host a Super Bowl is stupid enough, but having it outdoors is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas. /end rant

Wasn't there some sort of incentive set by the NFL a few years ago for teams that if they built a new stadium then they could host the Superbowl?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that too.

I'm completely against a cold weather site. If you're gonna have a championship game of any sort, for any sport, the playing surface and conditions should be as favorable as possible (ex:it's bad enough that the World Series has crept into frickin' November). It's supposed to be about showcasing the best two teams and their talents, and you can't do that if both quarterbacks have to hand off 75% of the game due to their hands being frozen and the ball feeling like a rock!

There's just no logical reason for giving one team an advantage over another in the most important game of the season. Obviously you can't prevent rain in traditional SB places like Miami or SoCal, but to run the risk of having inclement weather decide the outcome is absurd.

I'm still seriously hoping for a blizzard next year, just to eff up the NFL's plans. Having northern cities host a Super Bowl is stupid enough, but having it outdoors is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas. /end rant

I'm a bit torn on this topic, I agree with you that in a perfect world he championship game should be played on a fair neutral surface in ideal conditions, but if you think about it the two teams in the game are from different cities and have had to overcome adverse playing conditions to get to the Superbowl, that's why they are in the Superbowl and overcoming adversity is part of the game. On the other hand yeah it would be awful to see a Superbowl played in a complete shizz storm of rain/snow/freezing cold/wind where you walk away thinking that regardless of who wins I don't really know who the better team was because the weather conditions leveled the playing field so drastically. That would be an awful Superbowl to watch and an awful way to lose.

^ I used to be a bit torn on it too, because like every other red-blooded football fan, I like a hard fought game in the wind, snow, rain, or all of the above. But then I realized that's exactly what every week leading up to the Super Bowl is for....grinding it out through all types of adversity, including crap weather. The Super Bowl should be a reward, not a punishment.

Wasn't there some sort of incentive set by the NFL a few years ago for teams that if they built a new stadium then they could host the Superbowl? Pretty sure Indy, Phoenix, Dallas, Detroit, and next year New York had never hosted a Superbowl (at least not in a while) until they all built new stadiums.

It wasn't written in stone, but was definitely a "wink wink nudge nudge" type of deal when the NFL came to speak to the cities who had to foot the bill. Another example is tell telling San Diego's city council they are out of the Super Bowl rotation until they get a new stadium.

I for one welcome the possibility of snow. I would love to see an "epic" battle in the snow for the title.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Niners pulled the plug.

I sell have some hope......but not much.

Nobody in Australia understands the game but I've talked to plenty of people today who want to see the Niners win. So good luck!

Baltimore should have been given a penalty for pass interference on Crabtree. Crabtree was two feet in the end zone and Baltimore was still blatantly interfering yet the referees did nothing. The referees were unusually easy on Baltimore the entire game.

Falcons try last second drive vs Seahawks - Win

Falcons try last second drive vs 49'ers - Loss

49'ers have major 3'rd Quarter comeback against Falcons - Win

49'ers have major 3'rd Quarter comeback against Ravens - Loss

I'm seeing a pattern here.

I'm just glad the Niners came back at the end. Watching the first 2.5 quarters was absolutely painful. I told Amy, now I know what the Broncos felt like in Super Bowl 24! I'm still surprised they came all the way back and only lost by 3. We definitely lost the game because of the first 2.5 quarters, but those bad calls at the end really were annoying. Oh well, not bad overall for a two year coach and a QB's 10th game!

^ The future is still bright for our 49ers. Young QB, all starters (except Moss) under contract for at least 2 more years. The only question mark on our Defense right now is Justin Smith (and obviously our secondary). With Alex Smith we have a commodity to trade and either get an elite DB or a high draft pick.

As for the game, sure there were some blown calls at the end (Holding on Crabtree, Holding on the "punt" at the end) but it was the play in the 1st half that ultimately cost them the game.

Lots of people are saying that the power outage caused the 49ers to be able to come back. What BS.

^Yeah, the power outage being the reason for the 49ers comeback is BS. The very next play after play resumed was a 3rd and long which the Niners didn't convert and were forced to punt.

The holding on Crabtree was a tough call to make, I mean if Crabtree didn't have his hands all over the defender then it would have been a pretty easy call to make but the contact looked both ways to some degree.

The 49ers future is very bright, I do think offensively they could use second receiver. I'll be surprised in Moss play another year, and he's not the guy even if he does play another year. Also, I have a feeling this might have been Akers last season, he struggled a bit this year and is getting pretty old.

The blackout totally had an effect on the game. It gave the 49ers a half hour to get organized and (more importantly) gave the Ravens players a half hour to sit around and think to themselves "we've got this". And as we've seen all through the playoffs, and even in the first half of this game, unless you're playing as hard as you can against the 40ers, you will lose. Are they a good team? Yes. Are they a great team? Not quite. I have said all along they are a year or so away from winning a SB. Look at how the Ravens dominated them during the first half of that game. No blackout, and I don't think the Ravens ever slack off, at least not that soon. Sure, I have no psychic powers and cannot read minds, but saying it had "nothing" to do with it is crap.

I'd have much rather seen the Steelers or Packers in the SB, but I was happy to see the team from my town win. They almost didn't, and they almost gave the game away from being complacent far too early. Any team playing the 49ers next year better realize they are one of those teams that is NEVER out of it, and you cannot ever feel like you've beat them until the clock runs out.

dt