The official NFL Discussion Thread

spaceace12

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The blackout totally had an effect on the game. It gave the 49ers a half hour to get organized and (more importantly) gave the Ravens players a half hour to sit around and think to themselves "we've got this". And as we've seen all through the playoffs, and even in the first half of this game, unless you're playing as hard as you can against the 40ers, you will lose. Are they a good team? Yes. Are they a great team? Not quite. I have said all along they are a year or so away from winning a SB. Look at how the Ravens dominated them during the first half of that game. No blackout, and I don't think the Ravens ever slack off, at least not that soon. Sure, I have no psychic powers and cannot read minds, but saying it had "nothing" to do with it is crap.

I'd have much rather seen the Steelers or Packers in the SB, but I was happy to see the team from my town win. They almost didn't, and they almost gave the game away from being complacent far too early. Any team playing the 49ers next year better realize they are one of those teams that is NEVER out of it, and you cannot ever feel like you've beat them until the clock runs out.

dt

I'm a 49ers fan (grew up in Central California), and I agree with this. I think Kaepernick was the missing ingredient; they were never a great "come from behind" team with Alex Smith (even though he is a good, solid quarterback). They may have had a better chance if they'd let Kaepernick run the ball in during that Ravens last goal-line stand, rather than just passing for it. But my football knowledge is not all that great (more of a casual fan).

But now they have to watch out for the Seahawks.

^Yeah, I think Jim Harbaugh knew that in this day and age of football to win a Superbowl he has to beat the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eli Manning and other teams with prolific offenses where 20-25 points might not be enough to win. When Brady and Rodgers can consistently put up 30 points per game against elite defenses you better be able to go toe to toe with them in a shootout and I think Kaepernick gives them a better chance at doing that.

This season in the playoffs the 49ers had to put up 45 and 28 points to win, and 31 in a losing effort, and I think Alex Smith was only averaging about 23 points per game over his season and a half as starter. Kaepernick gives them more potential to be great, that's it.

Seahawks are going to be better next year, but I honestly think the 49ers will be too.

Seahawks are great ... at home. They only won 3 games on the road last year, 4 if you count the playoff game with a 1-legged RGIII. They'll have to improve on the road if they hope to supplant the 49ers and win the NFC West.

IF the Seahawks get the #1 seed next year it will be very hard for anybody to beat them on their home field.

As for Kaepernick, I agree with everything you all said above. It's funny that people are saying that he's peaked that defenses will start to figure him out and claiming that he's still just a "running" QB. They must not have been watching the games. I think the team needs another WR to complement Crabtree, Kaepernick finally figured out that he's got one of the best Tight Ends on his team. I'd like to see Moss come back, but we'll see.

I think the 49ers offense is set other than WR, defense is set except for a good DB. It was obvious BAL figured out they could exploit our Nickel defense and that chump Culliver who got burned more than once. I'd like to see him go.

The blackout totally had an effect on the game. It gave the 49ers a half hour to get organized and (more importantly) gave the Ravens players a half hour to sit around and think to themselves "we've got this". And as we've seen all through the playoffs, and even in the first half of this game, unless you're playing as hard as you can against the 40ers, you will lose. Are they a good team? Yes. Are they a great team? Not quite. I have said all along they are a year or so away from winning a SB. Look at how the Ravens dominated them during the first half of that game. No blackout, and I don't think the Ravens ever slack off, at least not that soon. Sure, I have no psychic powers and cannot read minds, but saying it had "nothing" to do with it is crap.

I'd have much rather seen the Steelers or Packers in the SB, but I was happy to see the team from my town win. They almost didn't, and they almost gave the game away from being complacent far too early. Any team playing the 49ers next year better realize they are one of those teams that is NEVER out of it, and you cannot ever feel like you've beat them until the clock runs out.

dt

I'm a 49ers fan (grew up in Central California), and I agree with this. I think Kaepernick was the missing ingredient; they were never a great "come from behind" team with Alex Smith (even though he is a good, solid quarterback). They may have had a better chance if they'd let Kaepernick run the ball in during that Ravens last goal-line stand, rather than just passing for it. But my football knowledge is not all that great (more of a casual fan).

But now they have to watch out for the Seahawks.

Totally agree with both of these.

There have been a few games where it looked like the coach, or somebody/something, was holding Kaepernick back. I remember a few games where the commentators even said it. I don't know if it's him being new or not, or if it's the coach, but when he is 'let go' to run, he really can do some amazing things.

*ahem*

Ravens.

Thank you, that is all.

//end showboating

Your team definitely deserved that win, Flacco needs to be given a BIG contract extension. After completing 11 touchdowns during the postseason, and zero interceptions, the Ravens would be stupid to trade him. With Flacco as the Ravens QB, they could win two or three more championships, easily.

As for Kaepernick, I agree with everything you all said above. It's funny that people are saying that he's peaked that defenses will start to figure him out and claiming that he's still just a "running" QB. They must not have been watching the games. I think the team needs another WR to complement Crabtree, Kaepernick finally figured out that he's got one of the best Tight Ends on his team. I'd like to see Moss come back, but we'll see.

Kaepernick hasn't peaked, but he definitely made a ton of rookie mistakes he got away with because of his athleticism and arm strength. He still has to learn to see the whole field instead of checking off real quick and taking off running and not tip his passes (ESPN analysts showed a great clip of how he actually patted a certain receiver on the back numerous times leaving the huddle and proceeded to throw right to him after dropping back without looking anywhere else).

Easily correctible things, but you had better believe every middle linebacker and defensive coordinator will know all of these tendencies next season. Same goes for Russell Wilson and RGIII.

Another thing not mentioned about the 49ers is that they are going to have 14 draft picks in the upcoming draft. And that's before we trade Alex Smith for probably more.

They'll likely get some O-line and D-line backups to sit behind the current players and learn for a few years. They'll most likely also need another Tight End since Delanie Walker is a Free Agent and he's a starting TE on probably 20 other teams in the NFL.

^It should be interesting to see if the Bills go after Smith and overpay for him.

Regarding the SB...great game, but I really thought that the 49'ers were going to pull out the come from behind upset. The nice thing is that there was no stress for me because I didn't really hate either team, nor was I a huge fan of either team.

I was definitely a fan of the 4th quarter though...won $692 on my SB pools!!!

• 4 weeks later...
^Really? That stadium isn't that old and really not all that bad? This is weird, are they going to tare down the Georgia Dome, or keep it for other events (the final four is there this year).

I'm as confused as you are. The only thing I see coming out of this is Atlanta hosting a Super Bowl.

Wow, so apparently 25 years is the life-span for a stadium in the NFL these days? This has EVERYTHING to do with getting a Super Bowl. If it wasn't for Katrina I don't think New Orleans would have had this years game and with the whole lights going out thing I doubt it will be back anytime soon.

If you look at the last decade, Super Bowls are certainly going to the new stadiums.

2004 - Houston

2005 - Jacksonville

2006 - Detroit

2007 - Miami (exception)

2008 - Phoenix

2009 - Tampa Bay

2010 - Miami (exception)

2011 - DFW

2012 - Indianapolis

2013 - New Orleans (exception)

2014 - NY

2015 - Phoenix

And I believe the NFL has said they won't be back to Miami until they get a new stadium.

^^To be fair, there has been a ton of innovation in terms of stadium/arena amenities (read: revenue streams) over the last 25 years. When one team gets something, the other ones automatically want it too.

New Orleans will still get games because it has a ton of hotel rooms/touristy things to do (read: keep sponsors busy), and just completed the final phase of a $320 million renovation in 2011. So it's actually not that dated.

Usually the NFL dangles a Super Bowl to cities in order to get them to commit to financing a new stadium (in other words: get ripped off).

Edited by Jew

First day of the NFL year, and already all sorts of movement...

Percy Harvin to Seattle & Anquan Boldin to San Fran. The NFC West just got even more interesting.

^Really? That stadium isn't that old and really not all that bad? This is weird, are they going to tare down the Georgia Dome, or keep it for other events (the final four is there this year).

I'm not sure what the plans will be for the Dome, but like others mentioned, it's all about wooing the Super Bowl and the BCS Championship Game, once the new format kicks in.

Wow, so apparently 25 years is the life-span for a stadium in the NFL these days? This has EVERYTHING to do with getting a Super Bowl. If it wasn't for Katrina I don't think New Orleans would have had this years game and with the whole lights going out thing I doubt it will be back anytime soon.

If you look at the last decade, Super Bowls are certainly going to the new stadiums.

2004 - Houston

2005 - Jacksonville

2006 - Detroit

2007 - Miami (exception)

2008 - Phoenix

2009 - Tampa Bay

2010 - Miami (exception)

2011 - DFW

2012 - Indianapolis

2013 - New Orleans (exception)

2014 - NY

2015 - Phoenix

And I believe the NFL has said they won't be back to Miami until they get a new stadium.

Yep, which is why Miami is already urgently pushing for upgrades to Joe Robbie Stadium....

phins1.jpg.18f3e8bf4ca73ddcbc179c259c58a486.jpg

phins2.jpg.22e6e1e15fc74d2fa9b41ffb50ffb4fe.jpg

Ryan Fitzpatrick released by the Bills as well. He'll get picked up as a backup somewhere. Or be the starter for the Raiders.

And maybe the Bills will pick up JaMarcus Russell...why, oh why would that not surprise me?

The Bills also failed to re-sign their most durable offensive lineman today, overpaid for a corner that can't land a starting job (but is a decent kick returner) and their GM had a recorded conversation with the Bucs GM leaked earlier today mentioning how Fitz would be fighting to be a back up on most teams and that he really needed to pull it together to earn his salary.

I wonder if Fitz demanded to be released after he heard that, or this was the plan all along? I know he was due a bonus tomorrow, so I would almost have to imagine that this cut was coming despite the leaked cell phone call.

I think it's "overrated" only in the sense that the NFL obviously inflates projected numbers. Otherwise, I don't believe there's ever any downside to hosting the game, especially if "smaller" northern cities like Indianapolis or Detroit can somehow persuade people to visit in the dead of winter.

And for the heavyweights like SoCal and Miami (which really equates to Dade and Broward counties), while the article is correct in assuming most of the hotel and restaurant revenue will find its way to corporate rather than staying in town, the real benefit of hosting the game is felt with both small businesses and the service industry as a whole (waiters, valets, bartenders, etc., etc.). I can tell you first hand that I made a killing back in the day during the couple times that the game was in town.

My favorite instance was when a "friend of a friend" at the golf club I worked at asked me if I was interested in driving their limo to the game and then around South Beach afterwards. It was extremely short notice, and they were willing to pay $3,000 for the night. I would have jumped on it had A) I had any kind of experience driving a limo....especially around the tight, crowded streets of SoBe, and B) the client not been deeply associated with a certain well known crime family. Even so, I still did pretty well that week, so I could never vote against hosting the game.