TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PTC Announces Single bench cars!!!

Yes! PTC has introduced it's own version of Millennium Flyers. This is not speculation, it was announced on the 20th by PTC, the article also says that they are to be rolled out on Ravine Flyer 2.

Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters introduces new single-bench train (JUNE 20, 2007) Amusement Today has learned that Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, the world’s leading supplier of wooden roller coaster trains, is introducing a revolutionary new single-bench train system to its range of rolling stock and other coaster-related products.

The rollout customer for the new train will be Pennsylvania’s Waldameer Park and its highly anticipated Ravine Flyer II, which is being designed and built by The Gravity Group for the 2008 season.

PTC president Tom Rebbie is quick to point out that his company’s new train will not be a conventional trailer-style set-up. Instead, each of the twelve cars will seat two riders and feature four weight-bearing road wheels per coach.

While Waldameer’s new coaster will be the first to use the new trains, PTC is actively marketing this attractive rolling stock for new wooden coaster projects as well as replacement trains for existing rides.

Due to the ultra flexible nature of these trains, they are especially suited for radical twister-style coasters, which are extremely prevalent and popular in today’s amusement parks.

I haven't found any pictures, but i am very curious to see what they look like. And on another note, let them be put on Voyage!!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best part of the story on amusement today...

Rebbie was inspired to create these new trains after research into PTC’s extensive archives revealed that the company's engineers had toyed with the idea of a single-bench train many years ago when PTC was still active in roller coaster design and construction.

Yup. The Millenium Flyers had nothing to do with "inspiring" him.

Trailered cars mean just as it sounds. The cars are connected in a way similar to trailers on the back of trucks. The trailered car has only half the wheels the normal cars do. It relies on the car its attached to for balance. Cars with 4 load bearing wheels are just typical PTC coaster cars. GCI's MF trains are trailered. Trailered cars allow for more quicker change in direction and high banking in VERY small spaces (i.e. Any GCI coaster). If The Voyage had trailered coaster trains, it could maneuver those 90 degree turns effortlessly with less stress on the trains and track. It could also make the transition to 90 degrees in MUCH less track.

Clear as mud right?

I've been on a few Millennium Flyers myself and I like them fine, except for their tendency to staple at the bottom of drops and on curves. They're way better for the super-twisty GCI designs, for sure. I'm looking forward to giving Hershey's Wildcat another try now that it's got 'em.

All in all, though, my train of preference is the 2-bench PTC with no headrest like the ones at Holiday World.

To answer Nicole's question, here's a link (but it's pretty technical and may confuse you even more).

http://capital2.capital.edu/admin-staff/dalthoff/coastercar.html

This will be interesting because all of the single bench trains I can think of are single axle trailered trains. With each individual bench of these new PTC trains there will be a front and rear axle and I have to wonder if it will make each row feel like a typical PTC "wheel seat."

I agree that the GCI trains are comfortable to sit in (lapbar aside) but they also run on pretty smooth coasters to begin with. I rode Roar West recently and that was rough. I have to wonder with these PTC single bench trains if the track is rough will each bench feel like a wheel seat or will each bench feel a little less rough than a wheel seat. Either way there will be no escape to a "non wheel seat" like you can find on 2-3 bench PTCs today. But overall I'd have to imagine that if the single bench trains were put on a ride like the Voyage that it would help ease track wear. I think it sounds like that would be the advantage as the cars would be able to traverse the track a bit better.

I've been on a few Millennium Flyers myself and I like them fine, except for their tendency to staple at the bottom of drops and on curves.

I've never heard of that happening.

I'm excited to see some concept art for this or something.