TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waiting in line...

I was doing my hourly park board reading, and I noticed a lot of enthusiasts like empty midways, no lines, and pretty much empty parks. I like em like that at night, but why would anyone want an empty park? I'd think it'd be horrible for park revenue and that it takes away from the experience.

Growing up in the 90s I remember going to Kings Dominion with friends and actually enjoying waiting in line. I still do if I have someone to talk to. It gives me time to take in the park atmosphere and makes it feel less like I'm rushing my day.

Am I the only person who finds this park necessity to be sometimes an enjoyable thing? You can peoplewatch too.

When I went to Disney World for my second time back in 2000, it didn't feel as magical as the first time, partly due to me being 15 instead of 10, but also because I felt like I was rushing with those Fastpass things. I felt like I was marathoning, and I didn't get to take in my surroundings and feel the magic so to speak.

At any rate, I just wanted to know if anyone else actually likes waiting in lines sometimes, and seeing full queues.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly have no problem with waiting in lines, as long as it keeps moving (like at a Disney or Universal park). However, when it's 5 - 10 minutes between moving 5 steps forward (like at a "Insert Six Flags park here"), then I get real agitated --- regardless of whether or not I have a big group of friends with me or not.

Plus, it really depends on the temperature conditions too. If it's really hot out like at the peak of summer, I get so miserable from sweating and panting that I have derive no real pleasure from conversing with people I'm at the park.

Monica and I both eschew of fast-pass systems, we prefer to wait in line. I can't say exactly why, but I think it just has to do with building-up the anticipation for the ride; I like to think of long lines as a "quality-guide", with the best rides drawing the longest lines, and as we're waiting, we're getting more and more excited to ride.

I like watching the coaster go through the circuit, I like seeing the happy (or unhappy) faces of the people who have just finished riding, I like hearing all the exaggerated chatter about how people "almost fell out because it went upside-down so fast", etc.

I agree that when you're running from ride to ride, trying to cram everything into a few hours, you miss the ambiance of the park. Sometimes it's just nice to look at things.

When I go to a park I want to get as many rides as I can in as little time as possible so I hate lines. Even a 15 minute line is something I want to avoid if possible. I enjoy walking through an empty queue and walking into an empty station and having my choice of rows and waiting 30 seconds for the next train to return to the station so I can board the ride.

Waiting in line has become a lost art. We're used to Fastpasses, Q-Bots, Express passes, single riders line, etc. I remember once waiting in line for Wicked Twister for 30 minutes. It was pretty entertaining seeing most guests look at the spikes and talking about the ride. There's something to be experienced while waiting in line, but I sure like to see rides with empty queues and low waits. I can get multiple rides with little wait!

I don't think I would wait in line for more than an hour for any ride, though.

waiting is fine as long as the lines keep moving.
Agreed. Lines don't really bother me unless they're not moving, there are ignorant (Guttermouths and loud people) people in it, or there are line jumpers.

Like others, for me it all depends on the situation. As long as the line is moving, I don't mind it. But if its one of those lines like the standby line for Test Track where you only move ONCE in 10 minutes...you can forget about it. If theres a new attraction, or a new park that I am visiting I'd just grin and bear it as its going to be a new experience.

That said, I was spoiled by doing the WDW College Program and working seasonally down there. Having access to the parks during slow season and having "hook ups" at certain attractions meant very minimal waits. So now when ever I am down there, I refuse to wait very long for most of the attractions. Sometimes I get that way when visiting the SoCal parks as well.

For me it depends on the park. At a place like Universal were the lines are themed, air conditioned, and a lot have videos to watch while you wait, I don't mind waiting at all. Places like Cedar Point and Kings Island on the other hand can get annoying really fast. There's not really anything to do and no shade from the hot summer sun.

Now, the best rides are the ones that never have lines (PeopleMover, Spaceship Earth ). I actually do sometimes enjoy waiting in line, depending on the shade and actual length of the line. If it is a bunch of switchbacks with no shade, I would despise waiting in line. However, a good line would be Goliath at SFMM. Thanks to the heat of lovely Valencia, Magic Mountain was nice and provided shade with misters. That line is quite enjoyable, even though I've only waited an hour and a half for it. So, I don't despise waiting in lines, but I don't necessarily enjoy it either.

Brent "I waited for X for four and a half hours!" Shenton

I too enjoy the peoplewatching aspect of visiting theme parks but there is a gneral rule of thumb... Disney theme parks with happy customers = good, inner city parks like Six Flags = not so fun. As a matter of fact, it isn't a visit to a Six Flags park without me getting into a fight with a linecutter, like yesterday at Papa John's at SFNE for example... actually let's not go there.

I think waiting in line can actually add something to a ride. As long as the line isn't long enough that you spend half of your day waiting in the one line. Anything over 2 hours and it starts to get too much for me.

I like waiting in a line, getting slowly closer and closer to the ride while the butterflies start to jump in my stomach.

Its great to have a walk on of course, but that just doesn't have the same excitement and apprehension as that moment where you've been waiting in line for a while, and you pass the point of no return. No turning back now. Your trapped, and you almost feel your bladder getting a little weaker. In my opinion, that fear is as much a part of the experience as the Gs are.

Personally I don't mind waiting in line that much. Sure if the line doesn't move because of bad operations then i get a little agitated. Still if I'm waiting with my friends, then its not bad at all and the line seems to fly by no matter how long it really is.

Kevin "Looking forward to going to Cedar Point on the 19th with 3 of my best friends" M.

I too enjoy the peoplewatching aspect of visiting theme parks but there is a gneral rule of thumb... Disney theme parks with happy customers = good, inner city parks like Six Flags = not so fun. As a matter of fact, it isn't a visit to a Six Flags park without me getting into a fight with a linecutter, like yesterday at Papa John's at SFNE for example... actually let's not go there.

Well technically Disneyland is an inner city park and SFMM is more of a suburban park...so that kinda throws a curveball at ya.

I abhore waiting in line. I went to magic mountain a few weeks back and most of the rides were walk ons. I was able to ride mostly everything multiple times in 5 hrs. I mean just sit on the rides and ride over and over. The older I get the more impatient I become. I just want to walk up to a coaster and have no more than a 3 car wait. I will never go to a park on a Saturday hell even a Sunday in some.

I hate lines -- mainly because they are filled with rowdy teenage brats. During the summer I don't want to be reminded of my job (teaching jh/hs). I personally love being able to go to a park mid-week where there is minimal crowds, riding what I want as many times as I need to and then leaving without having to spend the entire day there.

My feelings about lines are this: as long as it is moving comfortably along, I don't mind waiting. Raging Bull at SFGAM is a great example, even when the line is forever, it MOVES- what I don't like is the seemingly short lines that are ruined by bad loading procedures or mimimized capacity of the ride itself.

Wow! I go out of town and one of my topics thrives!

I can understand not wanting to wait over an hour or 2, and I guess everyone is different. Some people like theming/soaking up the feel of parks, and others just go to ride... and as much as they can.

I belong to the first camp. I guess I'm more of a laid back person at parks.