TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do you like it in the front, back, or the middle?

I searched and couldn't find the topic, but I'm sure its been asked before so here it goes...

Traditionally, do you usually like riding in the front, middle, or back of a train? does your preference change when it comes to wood vs. steel? and if any is so, why?

and just because...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost all the time I perfer front, but on some coasters I won't ride anywhere except the very back row. Well, one coaster (Cyclone at SFNE) but whatever. It really depends on the coaster.

I generally prefer the back, unless I can get the very first row. I love the view from the first seat, but I tend to enjoy the ride more in the back. The one major exception I can think of is a Schwarzkopf looping coaster because the forces are much more intense in the front. At least through the vertical loop.

Agreed with the above - if it's a coaster I've never been on, I try for the front just to kind of "see" the ride.

All the other times it depends on what kind of coaster it is. I love riding in the back on most, especially for the initial drop where you get pulled down the hill.

The times I really love the front are on coasters like Chiller, Mr. Freeze, DeJa Vu or any coaster where you're in the front row and can see the end of the track coming at you fast. I LOVE the "holy crap I hope the brakes work" feeling.

If I have time, I liked to give both the front and back seat a try on new rides. But I'd say more often I'm a back seat rider. There are coasters that are known for better front seat rides, like Phoenix and Knoebel's and Wild One at SFA. And then it also varies, for example the first tim we rode Goliath and Walibi World it was AWESOME in the front, but the next time we went back it really delivered in the back.

On Renegade, I perfered the front during day rides, but the back during night rides.

So I guess I'd say "try both on as many rides as possible, and then stick with whichever you like the best."

--Robb

I agree with Robb. On most coasters, I try to ride in the very front and back. Most of the time, I choose back. There are also pluses and minuses for the front. On Vortex, if you sit in the front, you get airtime coming up the second hill. Nothing great, but it's airtime. In the back, you get some really great airtime on the first drop. Views on coasters also could make the front or back better. On The Beast, I prefer the front, it's great speeding around through the woods (also, I'm to afriad to try the back because I had a terrible experiance last time )

For launch coasters, they are very different for me. On Flight of Fear, Rock 'n'Rollercoaster, and Italian Job; I choose the front for a wilder ride. On Top Thrill Dragster, I loved the front seat for the views....but the wind is nearly gouging out your eyes and making them tear up! Maybe they should be some of those pilot goggles to borrow.

For Stand Ups, it is a toss up. I love the back on Mantis for the airtime on the drop and after the MCBR, it feels so funny and it's great! But I really love the front for a more forceful ride. I greyed at the bottom of the loop in the front seat, first time that happened to me! I havent had one bad ride on a stand up. (except King Cobra. togo and their things that jackhammer into your crotch can die!)

Suspended coasters seem the same way in the front and back seat, unless there is a nice drop like there is on Top Gun. Good pop of air on Top Gun in the back seat, but the front on Iron Dragon and TG have some sway power....ID there is little.

For Inverts, I like the back seat. The only thing I have against it is obstruction of views. From my experiances on Top Gun:TJC, Raptor, and Face/Off, The back gives some sick forces on the inversions! Especially those Zero-G rolls

Wooden coasters can differ. The Racer has nice airtime all over in the back, and Beast gives your spine a rearangement.

Flying coasters (BORG for me) was awesome in the very back. Loop was -very- forceful. There are good views on flying position, and when lying, it's cool watch the track speed by beneath you.

Hmm...that's about my view on coasters and where to sit.

I generally prefer the front for all the visuals, the back for a killer forceful ride.

Can't wait to ride some of the new coasters like Griffon and Furious Baco with wide wingspans; now we'll have to compare where you are in the row in what car.

• 5 months later...

On most coasters, it's the back, although there are a few exceptions:

Laser - much more intense in the front

B:TDK - Not only is it far more intense in the front, it's smooth, too. But even in the back, although it was rough, it was still virtually painless.