TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Rumor / Crazy Idea Superthread

This was just posted on screamscape!

Busch Gardens Williamsburg:

2010-2012 - Park Expansion / New Land - Rumor - (4/16/09) Our spies tell us that the park still has big expansion plans on deck to add a new land to the park, taking over the former site of Drachen Fire. The unfortunate side of things, is that many of Busch’s big plans were put on hold when InBev took over the company, so there is no telling if this plan is still moving forward or just on hold for the moment. Either way, it seems that the multi-year plan to build an entirely new country (Spain is the most likley) in still very solid. It’s all a matter of “when” and not “if” at this point from what I’m told.

In addition to adding a new train station to service this area on the line, we’ve heard about two major new attractions that will also be fighting for your attention. One would be the chain’s second B&M Flying coaster, where the design will be based on what they’re learning from Manta right now. Like many of the rides in Williamsburg, I’d expect this one to be an even bigger and longer coaster than what we’ve seen from Manta already, and given the location, I can help but wonder just how close some of it may some to Big Bad Wolf, or perhaps even diving down close to the river. The second big attraction being talked about would be actually something unique for the Busch parks, their first true “freefall” style tower ride. However don’t expect to see another Drop Zone style tower or something as basic as that. From the sound of things, they want to keep the entire experience INDOORS... offering an experience more like Mystery Castle from Phantasialand in Germany. Since this is a multi-year project, lets assume the plan is to build up the land in complete phases, so expect one new ride with each phase if everything gets approved.

That sounds really cool and all, but wouldn't it be great if they got a Woodie in the park at some point. I know there is the old debate on upkeep and how it would ride after X amount of years, but they're just plain fun.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^,^^well then they shouldn't have chosen to live/develop next to a major theme park.

A wooden coaster would be nice it it ever had the chance to get built, but at the same time, I don't think it would fit the park. It would be just like Holiday World adding a major steel coaster.

The drop tower sounds good but I'd rather it outdoors for more of a thrill. It would have to blend in with the sky though. Just like all the other 200ft. structures at the park!

As a Kingsmill resident, I want to see a woodie come to BGE. The flyer seems to be the most likely option for a new coaster though.

Actually forget about the woodie, I want to see some major flat rides for the Oktoberfest section. Oh yeah and maybe BGA can donate Python as it suits the area very well.

If not I can only dream about the Thriller clone going where DF used to be.

^,^^well then they shouldn't have chosen to live/develop next to a major theme park.

A wooden coaster would be nice it it ever had the chance to get built, but at the same time, I don't think it would fit the park. It would be just like Holiday World adding a major steel coaster.

Hmmmm, I actually think it would fit just fine. Wooden coasters surrounded by trees? Awesome. How would it not fit? If Africa gets a woodie then Europe should get one too. A big, European one. With a really steep drop.

Just use the "Intamin pre-fabs aren't woodies" argument on all the neighbors that don't want one. It will be the one time that stupid argument was actually beneficial.

Was looking at the FunCam just now and I saw that Wicked Twister still hasn't been fixed and that track is still missing from the top of one spike. Cedar Point opens in a little over 3 weeks. Will it be open in time? Perhaps they are waiting for a new track piece to arrive?

Here is a picture. Terrible quality, but if you don't believe me, just go look at the cam yourself.

wt.JPG.b3eb29d6649074ce910cbb67317001f2.JPG

Maybe he meant donate it as scrap steel to raise money for the new area?

Actually I meant moving the actual coaster to Williamsburg because the Oktoberfest area needs something Schwarzkopf. But judging by a previous post somebody made, the coaster probably isn't moveable without damaging one of the parts.

I totally agree... a wooden coaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg would look great, especially in New France.

I don't think New France has any availible room for a coaster without moving something. And I'd hate to see the log flume go considering it's pretty much the only original ride left in the park give or take possibly one of the Oktoberfest rides.

OK, I'm confused. "Python" = "something Schwarzkopf?" An old Arrow corkscrew that's probably being molded into lawn sculptures? (Well, BGW did get one of the old Python trains.)

BGW did have some Schwarzkopf coasters way back when (one of them is operating in Maryland now).

^ Chuck, you're thinking of Python, the Arrow looper they tore out mercilessly a couple years ago.

Netdvn is talking about Python, the Schwarzkopf looper they took out meticulously a couple years ago and is sitting in a hermetically sealed warehouse somewhere in downtown Tampa, waiting to be shipped to Williamsburg.

Just wanted to clear that up! Get your facts straight, Chuck!

^Oh, that Python--silly me. I thought they'd freeze-dried that coaster, so all you had to do was haul it to wherever in your car, place the pile of magical coaster dust on the ground, spray it with a hose, then get the hell out of the way, lest you be crushed by the "insta-grow" structure.

EDIT: Too late...

I thought that Python was the Schwarzkopf that still operates in Tampa (unless they decided to close it and melt it down) and Scorpion was the Arrow that was ripped out and sold for scrap.

Dan - slow and confused - Nguyen

OK, I'm confused. "Python" = "something Schwarzkopf?" An old Arrow corkscrew that's probably being molded into lawn sculptures? (Well, BGW did get one of the old Python trains.)

BGW did have some Schwarzkopf coasters way back when (one of them is operating in Maryland now).

We have a coaster that used to be at BGW? Wow never knew that! Oh now that I think about it, it is that one up in new market that always taunts me as I go by it.

We have a coaster that used to be at BGW? Wow never knew that! Oh now that I think about it, it is that one up in new market that always taunts me as I go by it.

Yep--the Wildcat. It's at Adventure Park USA in New Market, Md. It was called "Die Wildkatze" at Busch (1976-83), and it used to sit where the loading station for the Big Bad Wolf is today.

Sorry it's not Drachen Fire. Well, you're probably better off that it isn't Drachen Fire--trust me.

Yep--the Wildcat. It's at Adventure Park USA in New Market, Md. It was called "Die Wildkatze" at Busch (1976-83), and it used to sit where the loading station for the Big Bad Wolf is today.

Sorry it's not Drachen Fire. Well, you're probably better off that it isn't Drachen Fire--trust me.

Well I guess I must go up there sometime, it seems like a nice small park and though I love the old Arrow Mega Loopers those trains on Drachen Fire look painful. Thanks for the Info!