TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Dubai

First off, this project is just a drop in the bucket of a massive development boom throughout the UAE, especially in Dubai, which is now home to the world's tallest building (the Burj Dubai, which holds the title even though it is still under construction). Dubai also has the world's largest man-made port and the fastest growing international airline in the world: Emirates.

I totally agree with you on this subject, but unless you're talking about a different Burj Dubai, the Burj is only the tallest hotel in the world, it's only the third tallest building in Dubai. But I totally agree with you on everything else.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I think most people think the Middle East is like Iraq and Iran, where people burn American flags. I'm sure other areas of the Middle East aren't like that. I've never been the Dubai, but I'm interested in visiting when Universal opens their park.

I totally agree with you on this subject, but unless you're talking about a different Burj Dubai, the Burj is only the tallest hotel in the world, it's only the third tallest building in Dubai. But I totally agree with you on everything else.

That's the Burj Al-Arab, the world's tallest hotel, located on its own island just offshore (like a quarter mile) near Dubai. I think it's barely in the top 50 tallest buildings in the world, as it's barely over 1,000 feet. It's designed to look like a giant sail/Muslin crescent, but ironically, the side facing the Persian Gulf looks like a cross.

The Burj Dubai is a skyscraper on the mainland. Currently, it's under construction, but the tower is at 1,450 ft. (442 m), making it the world's tallest building (not including antennas or spires). Eventually, the Burj Dubai is going to be something like 2,700 to 3,000 ft. (823 to 914 m) tall, although the spire can be made as tall as the owners want (per the wikipedia article). It will be the tallest man made structure in history by nearly 1,000 ft., pretty crazy stuff if you ask me. Recently, an article was released stating that, with the spire, the Burj Dubai would by nearly 3,600 ft. tall, making it over twice as tall as the world's tallest building at present.

http://www.burjdubai.com/

I'm not even going to touch your last statement, as it is completely incorrect.

Do you really think that security could be guaranteed with millions or even tens of millions of westerners visiting each year? The word is "target". The Saudis have been paying Al-Qaeda off for years. Why would a neighboring country not do the same, especially when their financial future is at stake.

I understand what Dubai is trying to do, and I know that they're very rich. This still doesn't mean that this project is the best use of their resources. To me your reply just confirms my suspicions, they're spending their money like drunken sailors.

^And Bush planned 9/11.

Note: not trying to make the discussion a political discussion. Just pointing out the ridiculous nature of that post.

Me personally? I'm all for a 2.2 billion dollar Universal park. Once Dubailand is complete, I defnitely want to visit.

^And Bush planned 9/11.

Note: not trying to make the discussion a political discussion. Just pointing out the ridiculous nature of that post.

Me personally? I'm all for a 2.2 billion dollar Universal park. Once Dubailand is complete, I defnitely want to visit.

I don't think it's absurd to question the security of western tourists in the ME in light of recent events.

Ginzo that was one of the poorest most ignorant arguments ive ever read.

But as mentioned. one less person in line for the rest of us.

I bet the murder rate is probably higher in florida than UAE yet u'll still goto disney?

Dubai Land is getting more impressive every week. The model doesnt really show much though. the coasters are a bit haphazard as far as models go and dont give anything away.

Its going to be good to see another new park go up infront of our eyes too.

^None in the UAE

Do you really think that security could be guaranteed with millions or even tens of millions of westerners visiting each year? The word is "target". The Saudis have been paying Al-Qaeda off for years. Why would a neighboring country not do the same, especially when their financial future is at stake.

Saudi Arabia hates Al-Qaeda, and they recently prevented a major terrorist attack by the group. While the media distorts things, the U.S. and Saudi Arabia have decent relations, and the only really bad Middle East countries are Iraq, Iran, and Pakistan(kind of.) Next you'll probably say all Muslims are terrorists, which is complete crap. Sorry to go on like this, but you need to look around.

As for your other reasons for why this will fail... The security won't be a problem as there will be metal detectors at the gates, and being in its' location, the staff won't take any chances just in case. As for the heat, the civilians are used to it, the park will be built accordingly.

-ends rant-

Okay, this project looks really amazing, and the park should be one of the best in the resort. The coasters look weird though, and I really want to find out more on the King Kong coaster as it looks to have a strange layout.

Saudi Arabia hates Al-Qaeda, and they recently prevented a major terrorist attack by the group. While the media distorts things, the U.S. and Saudi Arabia have decent relations, and the only really bad Middle East countries are Iraq, Iran, and Pakistan(kind of.) Next you'll probably say all Muslims are terrorists, which is complete crap. Sorry to go on like this, but you need to look around.

The situation is more complicated than that. The Saudi government is obviously very much against Al-Qaeda, but the kingdom remains the major funding center for Al-Qaeda.

Here's a congressional report documenting this:

http://www.fas.org/irp/crs/RL32499.pdf

I don't watch Fox News, and never have.

Gentlemen,

Would you like to take your discussion to the random board?

I am holding my tongue as someone who has lived here for 10 years I have never felt safer anywhere in the world.

It is sad to say that Ginzos opinions reflect many, particularly from America.

All you need is to actually look at the area, not the propaganda that is touted by a scared nation, and decide for yourself. I did and I would fell far more unsafe travelling to America than I do travelling to most areas in this region.

Oh and CK Media, What are you trying to prove with the map? All it shows is 2 attacks in the US and none in the UAE, my point exactly.

Anyway.

I`m getting very excited about all the developments going on here. I will keep everyone informed when I get more info.

For the person who was asking about the second coaster. It was the only one on the model that didnt have a name. I am thinking it could be the Fast And The Furious ride?

Do you really think that security could be guaranteed with millions or even tens of millions of westerners visiting each year? The word is "target".

What is your point? Absolute security is impossible to guarantee. A terrorist attack can occur in any country at any time, so any country with developed tourism is a "target," including the US.

Do you really think that the UAE has any less focus on security than other developed nations? No, they have an even greater focus on security because of the region that they are located in.

On top of that, Dubai had over 6 million tourists last year, in addition to the tens of millions of travelers visiting the city on business and as part of larger iteneraries. There was not one single terrorist act, and Dubai has a much lower violent crime rate than the US.

As others have said, if you're so deathly afraid of terrorism, stay in the US, submit to the fear mongering, and miss out on the rest of the world.

Just one less person crowding destinations up.

Seriously guys, let's keep this on topic...or at least related to Dubai Amusement Parks!

Anyone catch the Today Show this morning? Where in the World was Matt Lauer was in Dubai! Made me want to go even more!

Yeah, as soon as there is a little more park wise in Dubai, TPR is certainly going! And those of you who don't think it's safe...DON'T GO!

It's quite as simple as that!

--Robb "Dubai is one of my top 3 places to visit at the moment." Alvey

Seriously guys, let's keep this on topic...or at least related to Dubai Amusement Parks!

Anyone catch the Today Show this morning? Where in the World was Matt Lauer was in Dubai! Made me want to go even more!

LOL! Dad had his TV on. I was laying in bed..starring at the ceiling. I heard Matt saying "Im in this tall hotel looking over at this amazing site"

One day they will shape these...blah blah blah... into the world

I said to myself "Hes in Dubai"

-Ryan

Yeah, as soon as there is a little more park wise in Dubai, TPR is certainly going! And those of you who don't think it's safe...DON'T GO!

You know, I have already been to Dubai twice, however, I would actually be up for the TPR trip. I mean, I already did everything else there is to do in Dubai...

...that is, become heavily inebriated.

Plus, they have Hammerhead from Knotts! And camels. Gotta love camels. Oh and the best bar in the world! Ah, TGI Thursdays (yeah, thursdays). I had 3 woman at my side as soon as I entered the place and one played with my pee pee for a half hour while I sat at the bar (free of charge). Anyonyone who is afraid of terriorists in Dubai is crazy in the 1st place. And even if there is the remote chance of being killed....dude....just go to TGIT and you will be happy.

Well, I'd go on that trip because we'd have Jahan to protect us from jihad.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys Im posting this because I have seen no thread started for this attraction. This information is from Screamscape.

Here is the article

Epic Adventures will be home to both King Kong, Jurassic Park and Waterworld. The guide confirms that Kong and Skull Island will be the theme of a giant dueling pair of roller coasters. “Reaching speeds up to 60mph as you escape from Skull Island, King Kong launches guests towards each other on one of two inverted, intertwined tracks that come within inches of collision.” Yes, it sounds like they will try to recreate Dueling Dragons (possibly with a new layout) and sent guests off for a huge kongfrontation. What’s really throwing me off about this land however is the giant themed arch-shaped building seen in the various pieces of concept art. I’m not sure if this is part of an attraction or just one of the various covers for an air-conditioned zone.

Link to the rest of the article about Universal Dubai

www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_dubailand.htm

The speed is the exact same as dueling dragons and no element list has been posted yet. This attraction also hints a "Kongfrontation" So this will at least be a completely different experience than dueling dragons.

Hopefully there will be more information soon but according the the concept art (posted in the link) Then this is at least confirmed.

The Hope To See More Information Soon Ghost

I was watching a thing about Dubai last night on Discovery Channel (I think) and it was called "Impossible City." I had no idea how much stuff was going on there. I think it's really cool how basically there are almost no limits and they're trying to go for all these cool new designs with everything they do. I'm surprised that there isn't more going on with coasters out there already. If there aren't many limits on what can be built, I think it would be cool to see what coaster/ thrill ride designers could do without having as many guidelines and restrictions as they do in the US.

BTW, anyone else think Ski Dubai is pretty cool?