TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Have You Ever Worked At An Amusement/Theme Park?

^You can always upload them to TPR! I think it would make a great photo TR, showing your work and some behind the scenes stories!

As for me, I'm still hanging around the business.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked in too many. I've worked at WDW before, but not counting that since I worked at a resort rather than a theme park....

I've worked at IOA at Dragon Challenge, and then worked quite a few at Blutos. At Seaworld I'm currently cross-trained working both Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin (as opening team), and Journey to Atlantis. There's not much else to say, but being able to see a service animal that was a pony was a highlight for me. That and being able to watch someone breakdance on Antarctica's ride floor while we were cleaning it.

EDIT:

OH RIGHT; also the idea of ECV Mario Cart around Antarctica and Seaworld. We still get denied by management when we bring it up.

Spent the summer of 93 working at CP. Worked in the foods dept. mainly Breakers restaurant with various food stands throughout the park thrown in for extra hours. Definitely an experience to never be forgotten. The perks were exceptional as well!!

• 3 weeks later...

2007-2012 Kennywood Park

2010-2011 Conneaut Lake Park

2009-2013 Walt Disney World

2009 Entertainment

2010 Lifeguard at Typhoon Lagoon, Merchandise @Typhoon Lagoon Cross trained, Fall 2010 Epcot Food and Wine Festival then went to Main Entrance Ops till March 2013.

2013- Vacation Planning

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm on my second year now as a ride operator in a park in scandinavia. My favourite rides (from a ride operators eye) is so far a vekoma boomerang, a Technical Park "Pegasus" and a Technical Park "Street Fighter". If you have some questions, I would love to answer them

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a ride op at...get ready for it...Little Amerricka! This is my first summer and it's been pretty fun but not incredibly exciting as the park isn't very large. I've been trained on the majority of the rides and have enjoyed learning "from the bottom up".

Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park: 2014-Present

Trained On:

Tram Op (Drive Terminal)/Attendant (Upper Terminal)

All Attractions (Minus front of Alpine Coaster)

Definitely enjoy my job.

I worked at Santa's Village Family Entertainment Park in Bracebridge, Muskoka for two summers in my early teens.

The first summer I was strictly a Parking Attendant.

The 2nd summer I graduated to Parking Attendant/Swing Ride Op and was taught to operate every ride in the park. I parked cars in the morning, then jumped between rides for the rest of the day during the op's lunch breaks, filling in on sick days, etc.

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven whenever I operated Rudolf's Roller Coaster (Zamperla Powered Coaster). I always thought it was so cool that I wasn't even old enough to drive, yet they let me operate a roller coaster.

It was a tremendous amount of fun and I loved every moment that I worked at Santa's Village (though the money was abysmal).

I worked as a lifeguard/slide attendant in Cypress Gardens' water park in the summer of 2008, also working a week in rides when my hand was injured. I also worked Halloween events as an actor, once at Busch Gardens Tampa and three times at Halloween Horror Nights. As a seasonal performer we certainly weren't afforded the same experience of working at a park as a regular employee would be, we saw very little of the standard operations. I was afforded free admission to the parks though which of course was outstanding.

I worked at cedarpoint about 10 years ago. Here is a list of the rides I was able to work on/run.

Millennium force

Mean streak

Disaster transport

Corkscrew

Iron Dragon

Mine ride

White water landing

Wave swinger

Snake river falls

Sky ride

Blue streak

Camp snoopy

It was long hours and hard work, but also a lot of fun with some great people.

SFOMA- 1973 to 1976 Mechanical Department, 1977 to 1979 Animations Department. Too many stories to tell. Here is one= We had "Ghost Boats" on one of the Log Flumes. I guess the logs were drifting at the runout and not breaking the sensor. We had to push the log over to one side as it hit the runout. Needless to say in a half hour we ere drenched. But it was about 90 degrees out so ......

The things I saw on "fire watch" in Injun Joe's cave...... how people could accomplish so much halfway through a four minute ride was incredible. I saw nudity, sex of various kinds...a lot of weed smoking, etc. Pretty amazing.

I spent the summers of 2001 and 2002 as a vendor inside SFGAdv within the old McDonald's stand. First summer I was a crew person, second I was a shift manager. The restaurant was operated by the same franchisee as the store outside the park, which is where I spent the vast majority of my McDonald's career. Even though I technically still received my paycheck from him, I was essentially a Six Flags employee in every other way during those summers.

I always wanted to work for a theme park, but growing up my mother insisted I find found year-round work. I feel very fortunate I got to spend at least some time inside SFGAdv as an employee. Hands down one of the best times of my life - great stories, great people, great memories.

Technically, I also did volunteer work inside the park for one day, back when they allowed non-profits and groups to come in as workers-for-a-day and make some money for their specific affiliate (in my case, my college theater group). I worked in the old Great Hamburger Stand (before it became Johnny Rockets) and operated the Top Glo game next to Nathans. THAT was a lot of fun!

• 4 weeks later...
I'm a ride op at...get ready for it...Little Amerricka! This is my first summer and it's been pretty fun but not incredibly exciting as the park isn't very large. I've been trained on the majority of the rides and have enjoyed learning "from the bottom up".

OH MY GOD! I would so LOVE working at Little Amerricka! If I could work there I'd want to work as an op. at Mad Mouse or Toboggan or the Ferris Wheel or even the Little Dipper! But of course Little Amerricka is about is about ten or so hours away from me. My closest park is Silver Dollar City. *GAG* *GAG*

• 10 months later...

I'm currently working as a Rides Associate at Valleyfair on the Wild Thing team. I typically switch between three positions every hour or so: standing at the turnstiles and measuring heights, checking restraints/giving thumbs up, and working the control panel (which is my personal favorite). It can be grueling at times, working in hot weather for long periods of time (worked a thirteen-hour shift today), but for the most part, I enjoy my job. I get to meet a lot of great people, and I get to be at an amusement park every day.