Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually they have been taking some steps to address that issue with TNT. They are also redoing several other support areas around TNT where the construction of Time Traveler was done.  

"Move" may not be the best way to word it. "Build a new version of it" is a better way to describe it.  Think of what Mystic River Falls is to Lost River. More than likely, it would be a completely di

I also think new enthusiasts confuse intense with rough 

Posted Images

Yeah not surprised they came back. lol Their presence seemed very popular before.

harlem globetrotters futurama GIF

Heres a photo put out of the construction fence that was recently put up. It now extends all the way down and around Firemans Landing and extending behind part of the smoking area in front of the old Waterboggan Tower. Let the speculation begin. lol

C5B974EB-75E8-4C41-9E88-586BC712F18F.jpeg

• Like 3

Whatever it is, it's sure to be the most exciting amusement park attraction added in Missouri for years to come, as history has proven.

• Like 2

An account I follow on Instagram said that they messaged the park regarding that construction area and that they were told that it's nothing more than a path widening project to improve this area's crowd flow for one of the seasonal event's later in the year. Now, take it with a grain of salt because, you know, anyone can and will say anything on Instagram. I'm not too familiar with Pumpkin Nights as i haven't visited during that event yet, but didn't SDC announce that they were going to expand the event more into this area of the park? Though, if the construction fence goes all the way around Fireman's landing, then that makes it seem like its much more than a crowd flow project, however. I guess only time will tell...

That area does bottleneck pretty bad, and better pathways there would alleviate the other bottleneck near Echo Hollow (not nearly so bad post-Time Traveler, but still). Honestly even if that's all it is, that is a great thing for them to be doing. The scope of that wall, though....

• Like 1

Funny thing is they didn't put up a fence when they made that new pathway for the debut of Pumpkin Nights. Why do so now? 🤔 Though for all we know they could finally be demo-ing the tower which would necessitate the need for one, nothing more, nothing less.

From looking through the fence and the view from FireFall, it does look like they are widening the pathway and possibly the area where it meets up with the main pathway. 
My first thought was that it couldn’t be too major since the wooded path would need to be reopened for the fall. 
I do wonder if we will see the previous Christmas tree return in the Plaza area this winter. 

5F48E768-A4C6-4902-A3F6-786CB9B4B922.jpeg

0B37662B-856C-4D31-B723-A67469DA470A.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • 4 weeks later...

So word on the street is that many longtime entertainers at the park have been recently let go, including a large chunk of the Christmas Carol cast. Apparently the park has run into copyright claim issues considering the music featured in both major Christmas shows are all songs ripped from pre-existing musicals (which I assumed the park had licensed years ago, but evidently not). It seems like Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life are gone for now, which is not only a disappointing loss to the Christmas festival, but also seems like a crowd issue, considering the 1,000ish people at a show each hour will now have to find someplace else in the park to spend their time.

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, tndank said:

Wonder if that will carry over to Dollywood. I liked the crazy Wonderful Life show they do. 

DW has had problems before. They had a license to play some songs in the park and got in trouble for performing them in a show because they didn't have a license for that.
Here's one https://www.wbir.com/article/entertainment/dollywoods-response-to-song-lawsuit-yeah-we-used-it-but-we-did-nothing-wrong/51-08f13219-2155-4279-ae11-988c92271d2e

15 hours ago, Woodie Warrior said:

So word on the street is that many longtime entertainers at the park have been recently let go, including a large chunk of the Christmas Carol cast. Apparently the park has run into copyright claim issues considering the music featured in both major Christmas shows are all songs ripped from pre-existing musicals (which I assumed the park had licensed years ago, but evidently not). It seems like Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life are gone for now, which is not only a disappointing loss to the Christmas festival, but also seems like a crowd issue, considering the 1,000ish people at a show each hour will now have to find someplace else in the park to spend their time.

OOF. I've always wondered how SDC got away with using all those IP songs. They've used Disney songs, and I was super surprised that was allowed. But maybe it wasn't...? I guess their being a "smaller" park kept them under the radar for a long time.

That sucks that the entertainers were let go. Does that include Dave and Rachel Wallace? I've always been a huge fan of theirs. They've been there for so long and have done some amazing work in the productions at the park.

It's weird because they're definitely aware of the issue, for example I've had conversations with staff about the Time Traveler queue music and IP rights came up.   Could be a thing of "well we've done it for so long without a problem so let's keep doing it."    The more you think about it, the bigger problem it is for the park.  As Woodie said the shows are a huge draw for that time of year and soak up a lot of guests.   And I know it seems far away but from having worked in theater, redoing not one but multiple shows from scratch in what, 4 1/2 months?  And have them be good?  Short of a miracle, that's impossible.   Redoing the music themselves seems like it'd work but again they run into not only a time crunch but a talent and money crunch.   Bad situation for them.

I have to think that the queue music is okay...? Like, they're only using it as background music, so it's likely they bought it with that particular kind of license. The problem, as highlighted in that article about Dollywood, is using the licensed music outside of the agreed usage in the contract. So they may have made a contract to use the music as background music, but they then also performed the songs in their shows, which would require a "dramatic usage" license.

One of the shows in the Opera House at SDC used "Just Around the Riverbend" from Pocahontas, and that was what really stood out to me. I couldn't fathom the idea of Disney allowing a non-Disney park to use their music/songs.

But yeah, just about every show at SDC uses songs from other properties. Now, I think there's a difference (but I could be wrong) between "performing a song as part of a scripted/dramatized story" and "performing a song as a part of a musical showcase"; the second one would, I believe, be considered fair use because it's technically a cover? But I don't know that for sure, so even their non-scripted shows could be in danger depending on if any of them use songs/music that aren't their own.

This is really gonna hurt the park badly. Their scripted shows are their most popular - the Opera House dramas and the Saloon Show. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

3 hours ago, tinaalsgirl said:

I have to think that the queue music is okay...? Like, they're only using it as background music, so it's likely they bought it with that particular kind of license. The problem, as highlighted in that article about Dollywood, is using the licensed music outside of the agreed usage in the contract. So they may have made a contract to use the music as background music, but they then also performed the songs in their shows, which would require a "dramatic usage" license.

One of the shows in the Opera House at SDC used "Just Around the Riverbend" from Pocahontas, and that was what really stood out to me. I couldn't fathom the idea of Disney allowing a non-Disney park to use their music/songs.

But yeah, just about every show at SDC uses songs from other properties. Now, I think there's a difference (but I could be wrong) between "performing a song as part of a scripted/dramatized story" and "performing a song as a part of a musical showcase"; the second one would, I believe, be considered fair use because it's technically a cover? But I don't know that for sure, so even their non-scripted shows could be in danger depending on if any of them use songs/music that aren't their own.

This is really gonna hurt the park badly. Their scripted shows are their most popular - the Opera House dramas and the Saloon Show. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

Oh it is, I just meant that I've talked to a couple staff members about it about seeing if there was a way to purchase a CD of it and they don't have a license to sell it, just to play it.  They commissioned it from John Presley, of the Presley theater in Branson.   So that tells me they know what they should and shouldn't be doing with music

Ohhh. Huh. I just figured they'd bought some of the Pickin' On CDs to play.

So, if they can't sell the queue music, there's at least a really good variety of bluegrass covers through Pickin' On and The Cleverlys and The Beef Seeds and more. So if you ever wanna groove to bluegrass covers, there's plenty out there even if it isn't the exact versions in the TT queue.

On 6/9/2021 at 5:30 AM, ytterbiumanalyst said:

Yes. Still the same seat belts. Nothing has changed.

I feel like they shortened them. Dunno why if they did. I could always do the lap bar and the belt ok up until the past couple years. My "form" hasn't changed much since 2016 so that can be ruled out. lol But seriously I am suspecting they really did change them over the off season around 2018-2019. I have taken the "walk of shame" ever since after a few attempts. I never had that problem on a coaster, not even another RMC.