TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Me and my grandpa are taking a trip here thus summer after school gets out( in 12 days )) and I don't know where to start him on riding things. I was thinking starting with Thunderation then wildfire to powder keg and finally outlaw run. Any one else have a better plan for him

^^ Powder Keg is actually one of the most reliable rides in the park. In the more than 20 times I've visited in the last year, I have only seen the ride down for extremely cold temperatures.

As a regular of the park, and a Bransonite to boot, I would say your best option is to arrive early to the park (SDC has a fabulous breakfast buffet if you're interested), and head directly down into Wilson's Farm and Outlaw Run. The chances of getting in a re-ride are higher if you are among the first guests to ride. OUTLAW RUN experiences some downtime, mostly related to issues with new technologies the ride employs. From Outlaw Run, you are best served to hit the Giant Barn Swing and continue around to Powder Keg. Powder Keg can have pretty extensive lines, but the staff are pretty incredible at working through the lines. From Powder Keg, you have two options that generally have low wait times; Wildfire and Fire in the Hole, the latter being SDC's oldest ride attraction and more family oriented. Although there are many great food options around the park, there is an incredibly high concentration of restaurants and food stands in the Wildfire/ Powder Keg area, if you're hungry. There are several ways to get up to the Valley Road section of the park and ThuNderaTion. ThuNderaTion is, generally speaking, a walk on ride experience. I have only seen two train operations once. The best ride experience is to be had in the back three cars, where the 540 Degree helix and valley sections of the ride are particularly intense. From here, it's an easy Jog over to the Grand Exposition, which has some fantastic carnival-style attractions, or back just across the way to the ever popular Train, which is a show as well as a ride. You might also check out the Flooded Mine which is a floating shooting gallery style attraction, right next door to the train. If you don't mind damp clothes, SDC also contains three wet attractions, Lost River Of the Ozarks and the American Plunge (NOTE: Both rides will leave you significantly soaked) and Tom and Huck's River Battle (which may or may not leave you wet). SDC is also hosting its Bluegrass and. Barbecue festival right now which features some great musical acts and even better Barbecue.

I don't know what the problem with outlaw run is. Probably just a spurt of stuff. Mamba at worlds of fun had tripped the emergency stop twice in one day. One with me on it.

Also what I meant with my post up there is about the ride. Like ride intensity and strength .

Outlaw Run seems to be having a lot of down time, does anyone know what the most common issues are?

I don't know how accurate this is, as it comes from just asking a quick question of the staff when they had a second, but as I understand it, the most common issue is when the second train is stacked, the controls are very fussy about when the trains are released from the brakes, and a safety switch is triggered very easily if one of the trains is released at the wrong time. This trigger then requires the maintenance staff to inspect the ride, then it must be re-tested, which can cause delays.

Outlaw Run seems to be having a lot of down time, does anyone know what the most common issues are?

I don't know how accurate this is, as it comes from just asking a quick question of the staff when they had a second, but as I understand it, the most common issue is when the second train is stacked, the controls are very fussy about when the trains are released from the brakes, and a safety switch is triggered very easily if one of the trains is released at the wrong time. This trigger then requires the maintenance staff to inspect the ride, then it must be re-tested, which can cause delays.

I never thought of that. That is probably correct. But it seems lie it would be something easily fixed. Just allow more time for the next train to enter the next block ie station to lift transfer to station area. Just let there b a tiny bit more time and it should. Fix it self

Man, it's funny. SDC has been one of my bucket list parks ever since I saw an old Travel Channel show and they showed Buzzsaw Falls (the one that's now Powder Keg). I never thought that I'd get out there, but as luck would have it, my girlfriend's mom wanted to take a trip and my girlfriend's aunt has a timeshare out in Branson. We've been out here all week having a good time (highly recommend the "Ladies of the 80's" show at the God and Country Theatre!) and we're finally getting to SDC in the morning. I'm a bit worried about squeezing into Outlaw Run (~250lbs, fit Millennium Force with room to spare last week and down from 285 in January), but hopefully I'll be okay.

For a May Thursday, should we bother with the Trailblazer Pass? I don't mind paying the extra money but if everything is under an hour and we can hit at least Powder Keg and Outlaw Run, we're pretty much set. The weather is supposed to be really nice (at least compared to the cold and rain the past 2 days!) but it's still before Memorial Day and I'm terrible at guessing theme park crowds.

Welp. That was a fun day.

We got in right at 9:15 for a 9:30 park opening. Walked to Outlaw Run for first train of the day, sat up front. Fun ride! Looped back around for a quick second ride, back seat. Wild, most definitely a back seat ride. At this point, I could have marathoned it, there were maybe 6 other people riding. Two train operation helped as well. Quick stop at the Barn Swing (seemed weaker than Skyhawk at Cedar Point but still fun!) then Powder Keg had no wait (two train op) and Wildfire was a two train wait, which was okay, but they were only running one train. Thunderation was about a 20 minute wait, made worse by the one train operation. We decided not to go with a Trailblazer pass after seeing how light the crowds were. The worst I saw Outlaw Run was top of the ramp, which was about a 15 minute wait.

We tried to get on Fire in the Hole, but it was down. On the plus side, we got to see an actual dalmatian, so that was pretty cool. Ended up getting on it later in the day.

The rest of the day was spent between walking around (my Fitbit says 10.26 miles walked and 49 floors climbed!) and eating delicious food. The giant cookie was delicious, the succotash was top notch, the BBQ we got was excellent, and even the giant pretzel was good. We didn't take in any shows, but my girlfriend's mom did most of them and really enjoyed herself. Ended up getting an Outlaw Run t-shirt and a carved wood name thing for my girlfriend.

Powder Keg was fun, Wildfire was alright, Thunderation was surprisingly awesome, and Fire in the Hole was neat. There's little I can say about Outlaw Run that hasn't already been said, but I'm now a fan of RMC. Wild, smooth, yet still retaining the charm and the feeling of a wooden coaster. Ended up riding it 9 times total (it was a complete walk-on by about 5), and the back seat is where it's at. The extreme airtime from the turn/hill under the lift hill is unreal. It makes me excited to get on Goliath at SFGAm and makes me want to go to Texas as soon as I can.

I really enjoyed Silver Dollar City. It was one of my "bucket list" parks and I'm glad I finally got to experience it.

We tried to get on Fire in the Hole, but it was down. On the plus side, we got to see an actual dalmatian, so that was pretty cool.

Yes!!! I was hoping they still had a Dalmatian, but I didn't see her the last time I was there.

I think I'm in the front seat camp for Outlaw Run, myself. Sounds like an ideal day to visit the park!

it's three hours for me to get to SDC from where I am. Although honestly I would drive 10 hours if I had to. Yes the park is just that good!

Also just an update. The shot tower at Celebration City has come down so we should see in on site before too long although I assume it needs a full rehab.

WHAT A DAY!!!

So after processing our seasons passes we finally made it into the park around 11am. We headed straight back to Outlaw run. We waited 33 minutes (running 2 trains, and doing great on dispatches) for the back row. With this being our first ride... we were BLOWN AWAY!!! Obviously we have heard amazing things about Outlaw run, but there is a huge difference in hearing how amazing a ride is, and actually experiencing it. Words can not explain how amazing this ride is! It has taken Number 1 on my coaster list!! It even beats NTG, and IR. After Outlaw Run we headed over to Giant Barn Swing, considering it is right next door. We waited about 15 minutes, and my partner was blown away! He had never been on an S&S screamin' swing, and he loved it! I was spoiled by Skyhawk at CP so to me it was meh, a little tame, but still fun!! After Giant Barn Swing we headed over to Powder Keg. Powder Keg was a 15 minutes all together for the front row. (They were running all 3 trains, and doing a great job at dispatching!!) Powder Keg is still as amazing as always!!! The launch is fun, and the turn after the final drop was amazing! After Powder Keg we headed over to Wildfire. We had a one train wait for the front row. (They were running 2 trains, and again doing great on dispatching.) However Wildfire was running a bit rough today. I remember when it opened it was as smooth as glasses... It has become much more rough over time. After Wildfire we headed to the front of the park for the Marvel Cave tour at 1:00pm. Being my first time doing this... It was AMAZING!!! Simply beautiful! Not sure it is something I would do again though. WAY to much walking, and way to many stairs for me! After Marvel Cave we headed for Thunderation... which was down. So we decided to eat instead!! We had some AMAZING ham skillet meal! LOVED IT!!! Thunderation opened, so we headed over for a 1 train wait. (They were running 2 trains!) Sadly they were not running any cars backwards any more. Is this new? Or do they just not do it any more? Still a fun ride though!! VERY forceful in the tunnel after the helix! After Thunderation we had some more lunch, a smoked sausage sandwich thing. Really really good! Then BACK to Outlaw Run! However the line was backed up about 300ft OUT of the que line. To our shock it ended up being a 40 minute wait... With some downtime. We were expecting a much longer wait. After Outlaw Run we garbed one more ride On Giant Barn Swing, waited about 3 minutes! Then headed over to Grand Fathers Mansion ... What a fun little house! Loved the slanted room! Over to The Flooded Mine. Waited about 5 minutes. What a nice shooting ride! I managed to score 104,800! Then headed home. It was a BEAUTIFUL day at the park. The weather was perfect, but the crowds were REALLY heavy. We were amazed by just how many people were there!

On a side note... I am NOT a fan of the shin guards on Outlaw Run. Made me feel VERY uncomfortable. Maybe its just by build, but they were almost painful. But still a great ride!

All in all a fantastic trip, and we can NOT wait to go back.

Great trip reports guys, keep them coming!

The backward seats on TNT were removed a couple years ago - something about insurance.

It's nice how even on crowded days you can still get a huge amount of value out of a trip to SDC. All that and you didn't even touch on the shopping, craft demos, and shows.

I'm planning a trip for next weekend. Hope to get a bunch of new photos of the construction and all the changes I've been hearing about.

Has it been mentioned here yet that the park took out a kiddie ride from HDH? I thought that was strange, but it doesn't exactly make much of an impact since it was fairly awkward for its target age group and seemed to suffer from low ridership. If you're going to have a toddler/tiny kid ride, you really need adults to be able to ride with their kids.

Does the slower chain effect the ride or the airtime on the drop. Please tell me there is still airtime on the drop because it was amazing.
There is tons of air time on the drop... And all other parts of the ride.