TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mission:Escape

http://www.cfnews13.com/StoryHeadline.aspx?id=20015

NASA plans to build an $8 million roller coaster at the launch pad for the next generation of space vehicles.

Astronauts could use the coaster rail car system to escape from the launch pad in an emergency.

NASA approved the plans for the system on Friday after looking over four options.

The coaster escape system is the most expensive at roughly $8 million, but it is also the quickest escape from the pad. Designs show it's just an 18 second ride to the end of the line.

The current space shuttle launch pad has a slide wire basket system for emergencies, but documents show it is slower and more expensive to maintain than the coaster escape.

NASA is asking vendors to submit design proposals for the coaster escape system. It’s expected to start this year with plans to start making the parts for the system in two years.

*images courtesy of NASASpaceFlight.com.

Too bad we wont be able to ride it, looks like it might be... Fun maybe?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... Think Vekoma might win this? A Vekoma headshaker for the Astronauts?... Although perhaps they would use that new style of car...

Or maybe an S&S Screaming Squirrel would be ideal... Oh think of it... It almost looks like the cars of the SS. Of course this would likely be faster...

Come on, they should have at least through in a loop and a couple of air hills and other twists to it. Lame! But I'd guess if they did that, the astronaunts would be like, OMG... there is an emergency. Well I guess we have to use that roller coaster.... Oh noes....

how wll they move it?

i mean you have a giant rocket in a giant launch pad being moved on a giant platform being held by a giant crawler (literally at 2mph). Now you have this giant coaster running down the side that extends out to giant lengths and a highway on the side, hmm I wouldn't want to be driving my giant hummer SUV

how wll they move it?

i mean you have a giant rocket in a giant launch pad being moved on a giant platform being held by a giant crawler (literally at 2mph). Now you have this giant coaster running down the side that extends out to giant lengths and a highway on the side, hmm I wouldn't want to be driving my giant hummer SUV

I don't believe the launch pad moves... It is just the shuttle and boosters as far as I know... I mean a mobile launch platform for something with that much thrust would be pretty impractical.

^ & ^^

Your right.

The launch pad is mobile. It does carry only the shuttle with boosters and tank. It is carried out to the lunch site by a giant crawler. The launch tower is stationary at the launch pad. The coaster would be attached to the tower and thus never moved.

I first thought Escape Coaster was for all o' us but too bad

to know that's NOT gonna open for our peeps! Then what

was that stuff for lol?! Let us open NASA cool spot anytime.....

1st we gonna lift up in cable lift 'n next we gonna get ready

to drop launch pad-story tall, speedin' up to max!

Launch Pad's Goodness!