TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Apollo's chariot pumping on first drop?

Is it just me, or is there a little pumping on the first drop of Apollo's chariot. It's right on the pullout, watch all the POV's. Was this done because of the water, cause it seems a bit weird. If it was because of the water, what's the point in that, why not make a constant radius?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.....you've got to be joking me if you think any modern company is going to allow pumping at all. Even coasters that are approaching 80 years of age have no pumping.

There is an illusion of pumping created by the leveling off of the track. Usually, the track retains the same pullout radius as the drop and continues back up (okay, not always, but I don't really feel like going into it), which gives the correct impression of no pumping. However, AC's straight section gives the impressions that there is pumping, when in fact, it's just the track leveling off. It does feel a bit weird though.

Here is a link to a page with a good picture of the flat sections between drops (1st and 2nd and then like 6th and 7th): www.freewebs.com/xcoasters/xcoasterscompics2.htm

Can someone explain what you mean by "pumping"?

I'm drawing a blank on this one.

Pumping is irregularities within the radius of the track. Usually when the track shifts in in radius the cars tend to create a "pumping" motion, which is where it gets the name "pumping" from.

Nope.....you've got to be joking me if you think any modern company is going to allow pumping at all. Even coasters that are approaching 80 years of age have no pumping

Actually, the pump free-ness of todays modern rides are mainly a result of todays computer designed attractions. Most attractions 80's years old do have pumping though, you can feel it. And I believe that most "non pumping" attractions today are a result of companies keeping forces consistant rather then trying to make sure that the track does not pumps, where as you make it sound like thier goal is to make sure that it does not pump for some visual style or effect that they're going for... ANyways...

Almost all rides that came out pre-computer calculated tracks do pump. For example if you go on a ride like Ninja at SFMM or Jaguar at knotts, as well as many others besides those two, you can feel the track pump. The force dramatically changes from one to another and is not very consistant, where as on a B&M or an Intamin you'll notice that the forces do no fluctuate drastically but rather happen more fluidly.

Nope.....you've got to be joking me if you think any modern company is going to allow pumping at all. Even coasters that are approaching 80 years of age have no pumping.

There is an illusion of pumping created by the leveling off of the track. Usually, the track retains the same pullout radius as the drop and continues back up (okay, not always, but I don't really feel like going into it), which gives the correct impression of no pumping. However, AC's straight section gives the impressions that there is pumping, when in fact, it's just the track leveling off. It does feel a bit weird though.

Here is a link to a page with a good picture of the flat sections between drops (1st and 2nd and then like 6th and 7th): www.freewebs.com/xcoasters/xcoasterscompics2.htm

Have you not been on the Demon at PGA recently

If anything, Arrows are the least pumping rides out there. They usuallly used ALL constant radii. They had small and little to no lead ins and lead outs for their elements so they stuck with very rigid constant radii.

Look at a ride like Magnum where each valley and each crest had the SAME radius. One constant one. But Intamin hills start with a good radius, then get tighter at the apex, then get larger again.

Most steel coasters DONT pump on accident. If it does, its a design thing. Other than that, most early century woodies DID pump over the tops of their hills.

Go ride Big Dipper at Geauga Lake. Pumps over every hill. But its GREAT. 2 doses of ejector air instead of one.

I actually thought I noticed a pump not in the first drop pull out, but in the hill after the MCBR. Maybe it was just a weird transition, but I rode it 43 times and saw it every time so I wasn't seeing things. It was most visible from the back seat, though I could feel it a bit in the front.

So... would "pumping" be whatever the hell Tsunami does on its second hill?

Because of the way the bents are placed, the wood bows and the train jack hammers over that whole section. I guess you could call it pumping, but thats not what I think of as a traditional "pump".

Sorry if this post makes no sense, I'm tired lol.

^ Dude. Computers were involved in both Ninja and Jaguar.

Second. What the hell is "pumping" again?

They must have not been very good computers then, because they do pump. Although its possible the "pumping" on Ninja is more as a result of the swinging of the car, which I guess would have the inconsistant forces do to the free banking instead of the controlled banking which other rides have. But Jaguar does have it.

Pumping is whenever there are anomalies in the turn/hill/etc. of a ride. It starts at a constant turn that feels smooth and unaltered. Then when theres a spot of pumping, the train either jerks into a tighter or looser radius depending on which way the track turns. It's something to be looked down upon on coasters, which is why computer design is so much more accepted than just point n click designing.

If Redunzelizer's ever runnin around here he'd be happy to explain this concept to you...