TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I really liked the Screamin' Swing at Knott's. If only it was a little bit longer.

If this is a 32 person capacity I wonder if it will still be up-charge.

Yeah, it would take ages to fill it if it was an upcharge ride. Thorpe's 32-seater swing is free with admission, and the program on it should be extended soon, if it hasn't been done already.

I wont believe it untill Cedar Point anounces it, but IMO it sounds like a bad idea.. maxair was nice but now we need a coaster.

You crack me up. You make it seem as if Cedar Point is destitute if it doesnt get a coaster. We've got 16 of em and frankly there isnt really another style that would interest me unless they burned Mean Streak to the ground and replaced with a Gravity Group. Sadly, that wont happen.

• 3 months later...

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/inside_park/rides/thrill/skyhawk/

CEDAR POINT DEBUTS SPECTACULAR NEW

THRILL RIDE FOR 2006 SEASON

In 2006, Cedar Point will add a world-record-breaking thrill ride – Skyhawk. Located near Snake River Falls in Frontiertown and standing 103 feet above the ground, Skyhawk will be the tallest ride of its kind in the world.

Skyhawk will feature two giant swinging arms, each 84 feet in length, with 20 seats on each arm. Each set of 20 seats will consist of two rows of 10 seats, positioned back to back, that will provide each rider with a “front row” view. Using pneumatic technology similar to that used on Power Tower, riders will be thrilled as they are pushed toward the sky, then experience weightlessness as they reverse direction and rush back toward the ground – just like the drop side of a roller coaster – with no ride structure in their path. At the peak of the arc, riders on Skyhawk will be more than 125 feet in the air and will reach speeds of 60 mph in both directions! The $6 million ride will give nearly 800 rides an hour. Each ride will be approximately two minutes long. (Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to ride Skyhawk.)

“Skyhawk will be the world’s largest swing ride. It’s a simple concept, but it will be an amazing ride experience,” said John Hildebrandt, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “All of us have ridden swings as kids. Imagine riding a swing that is higher than a 12-story building and goes faster than many roller coasters.”

Guests will have their first opportunity to ride Skyhawk when the historic amusement park/resort opens for its 137th season on May 6, 2006. Construction of Skyhawk began immediately after the park closed for the 2005 season on Sunday, Oct. 30.

This is not to knock anyone...

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at all the CP Fan Boys that are pissed cause it's another swing type ride. It was all but confirmed. Just wait til next year and you all will brag again.

At least it's a record breaker! SHEESH!

Katie, not a CP fan girl

These rides look prety cool but I've never been on one. It's wierd they biult a ride this similar to Max Air one year after they put up that thing. Who really gives a shit they still have Magnum Raptor and Millie, and whatever is replacing the flume wil have to kick ass.

These rides are VERY fun. A completely different experience to MaxAir. It's really a fun ride.. Well Rush @ Thorpe is! And Maelstrom at Drayton is a ride like MaxAir and they're both really different.

Be pleased your getting a ride at all.. Ugh.. Ungrateful! 15 rollercoasters is it? And you complain when they get a new ride...

Yawn. We all knew this was coming. The BIG news is that they're dropping admission to under $40. It's about time. When it's $200 for a family of 5 to get in, plus big parking and overpriced food...it's time to go to Kennywood.

-Bryan "drove longer to Kennywood instead of a shorter drive to CP when he lived in Ohio because Kennywood was more fun, relaxed and affordable" Wood

Am I the only "CP fanboy" not getting entirely pissed about this? It's a new ride! I'm happy! Heck, I'd be happy if they kept the park as it was; frankly, I've loved nearly anything CP has added in recent years (Disaster Transport? What are you talking about? )

Everyone keeps telling me that it's a totally different ride experience than Maxair. So... why are nearly everyone on CP sites b*tching about it?!

/rant

Thank you for doing this, CP

S&S Screamin Swings are fun rides; the pneumatics give it a much different feel than motor driven swing rides. Comfortable restraints. Would love to trade a pile of kiddie flats they keep adding at SFGADV for one of these (or just give us the Huss Frisbee back)

The sad thing is, so many people complain, but it's absolutely the right move. Prior to last season, Cedar Point had only one major thrilling non-coaster ride, Power Tower. Power Tower is a lesser drop tower, it's not nearly as thrilling as many.

Cedar Point's glaring hole was the lack of really thrilling non-coasters, and two in two years is definitely a step in the right direction.

-Bryan "resented CP for having just coasters a few decent flats" Wood