TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

LSMs by nature consume a lot less energy than LIMs do, as they only generate the necessary magnetic current needed relative to the trains speed via the stators which react with the permanent magnets mounted on the trains themselves.

LIMs on the other hand use the magnets externally mounted on the track and send a constant current needed for the "ideal" speed, and the trains themselves don't have magnets, but metal fins that react to the magnets on the track. LIMs are extremely inefficient, energy wise, and also generate a massive amount of heat which requires additional systems (fans or other) to cool down the LIMs.

LSM development has pretty much put LIMs into extinction, for good reason. 

Due to the removal of WT and TTD, which required a very large power draw to run the hydraulics, and only adding a larger LSM system, I would assume that the overall energy draw will be significantly less.

Side note, it wasn't until yesterday that I realized Intamin offers a new-age Impulse coaster using their new track style and LSMs. The only example of this is an upscaled, new-era WT clone: Legendary Twin Dragon in China

• Like 2

@_s3_ thanks for that. I was aware LSMs were less power hungry than LIMs, but not to what degree. I've heard crazy things about LIMs like every ride cycle of Wicked Twister cost $50 in electricity - I'd love to know if that's true - if you extrapolate that into a seasonal cost, it's a hell of a lot for a non-marquee ride. And I've also heard if they ran both sides of Chiller at GAdv at the same time, it could take out the grid lol.

I'm sure Cedar Fair would have done a business/cost benefit case for a large piece of capital expenditure like this with operating costs being one component.

I'm sceptical it will go all the way up the spike, but I guess we'll see next year. Will be fun if it does, still fun if it doesn't. 

On 8/4/2023 at 10:57 AM, _s3_ said:

LSMs by nature consume a lot less energy than LIMs do, as they only generate the necessary magnetic current needed relative to the trains speed via the stators which react with the permanent magnets mounted on the trains themselves.

LIMs on the other hand use the magnets externally mounted on the track and send a constant current needed for the "ideal" speed, and the trains themselves don't have magnets, but metal fins that react to the magnets on the track. LIMs are extremely inefficient, energy wise, and also generate a massive amount of heat which requires additional systems (fans or other) to cool down the LIMs.

LSM development has pretty much put LIMs into extinction, for good reason. 

Due to the removal of WT and TTD, which required a very large power draw to run the hydraulics, and only adding a larger LSM system, I would assume that the overall energy draw will be significantly less.

Side note, it wasn't until yesterday that I realized Intamin offers a new-age Impulse coaster using their new track style and LSMs. The only example of this is an upscaled, new-era WT clone: Legendary Twin Dragon in China

But, they don't sound as cool. Like a 4 cylinder Mustang vs. v8 Coyote.....

Dead serious.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, downunder said:

@_s3_ thanks for that. I was aware LSMs were less power hungry than LIMs, but not to what degree. I've heard crazy things about LIMs like every ride cycle of Wicked Twister cost $50 in electricity - I'd love to know if that's true - if you extrapolate that into a seasonal cost, it's a hell of a lot for a non-marquee ride. And I've also heard if they ran both sides of Chiller at GAdv at the same time, it could take out the grid lol.

I'm sure Cedar Fair would have done a business/cost benefit case for a large piece of capital expenditure like this with operating costs being one component.

I'm sceptical it will go all the way up the spike, but I guess we'll see next year. Will be fun if it does, still fun if it doesn't. 

The power draw for Incredible Hulk is/was so large it couldve caused brownouts. They added generators to compensate.

2 hours ago, Haymaker said:

The power draw for Incredible Hulk is/was so large it couldve caused brownouts. They added generators to compensate.

And Hulk doesn't use LIMs or LSMs for it's launch, so is not relevant to this discussion.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I'm probably out of the loop here, only making my first trips to CF parks this year in the past few weeks, but when did CP relax their rain policy?  Maverick, Valravn, Raptor, Wild Mouse, Blue Streak... even Magnum, all running in light rain. 

2 hours ago, coasternut said:

^ That's just happened recently. I'm guessing only 1 train ops? Probably just a Halloweekends thing. I've not experienced that this year.

Many coasters were running multiple trains. Only one on Magnum though haha. 

27 minutes ago, coasternut said:

Glad to hear of their change of heart. I'll be there next weekend...

Yeah I was impressed. Note that if it's even slightly raining and you're coming for haunt stuff, the only things that will happen are indoor mazes or shows.  Everything outdoors, including roving scare actors and shows, do not happen in the rain. 

• 1 month later...