TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ Pro Tip #1 - Sit in the front row of the car. Pro Tip #2 - Lean in to the turn. You'll never hit your head or your neck again.

Exactly. You can also lean forward. I have drilled into my son's head on Arrows with OSR's to lean forward and keep your head out of them. But once you know the layout, you can anticipate as Rob just said.

The best way to make an SLC rideable as well! Or keep your head firmly against one side!

Whether Mantis gets floorless or sit down trains, is moved to another park, or scrapped. Any of the three outcomes is good news as far as I am concerned. Mantis made Shockwave (a Togo Stand-up) in comparison seem smooth, enjoyable, and well engineered.

I can't believe anyone complains about the restraints on Maverick or Maverick itself. Roller coasters are not meant to be old school luxury sedans that pamper you and rock you to sleep. They are to be exotic sport car that bring you to life. Having these elements and drops are not for sight seeing purposes, they are to fill you with forces and the Maverick is one of the best ones made. If anyone seriously thinks Maverick and its restraints are rough, spend some time on any traditional B&M, Arrow, Vekoma, Premier (if they have any that have not been changed), Schwartzkopf, Togo, etc. and bang your head on those restraints. Your head will be aching for quite a while afterwards. Maverick's restraints are very soft in comparison and unlike the above listed, they do not give you the headache the above listed will. Even if it did, Maverick is worth it. Other ones like Mantis (and Boomerangs) are not worth it.

Very true. Arrows can have some of the roughest transitions on any coaster. Some of their mine rides can be rough and brutal. Magnum's bunny hills can be painful if you don't know how to ride it. If you can't ride Maverick and enjoy the wicked thrill it gives, it makes me wonder if people are becoming wimps. Just compare it to a bad arrow coaster and then realize what a blast it is with correctly done transitions.One of the major thrills of riding coaster is that you will receive this out of control and wild experience that leaves you breathless and wondering how safe the ride is but loving it feels like it is not.

^ Pro Tip #1 - Sit in the front row of the car. Pro Tip #2 - Lean in to the turn. You'll never hit your head or your neck again.

Exactly. You can also lean forward. I have drilled into my son's head on Arrows with OSR's to lean forward and keep your head out of them. But once you know the layout, you can anticipate as Rob just said.

The best way to make an SLC rideable as well! Or keep your head firmly against one side!

I don't understand why real roller coasters enthusiasts don't get that. You want smooth and easy, there is the merry-go round. Bumper cars can jar your head. A scrambler throws your fellow rider into you forcefully. Roller coasters can be violent things, but that is part of the fun.

Roller coasters can be violent things, but that is part of the fun.

There's a difference between shitty coasters that are rough and AWESOME coasters that you need to learn how to ride. There isn't an SLC in the world that I would ride a second time. And some of them have been smooth. They just aren't good enough rides worthy of another go.

If they're really "overhaulin" Mantis, they should replace Maverick's restraints with the i305 straps so I can actually re-ride that one as well!

Only complete pussies have issues with Maverick's restraints. For the rest of us, they are just fine.

Tall, but slightly fat people might not have the restraint come down all the way, so they have something to complain about.

No, they don't. They are pussies.

If Matt Ouimet is interested in Intamin, I would go out on a limb and guess that it would get lap bars like on Altair CCW-0204.

And then we would just get a whole new breed of pussies that would complain it's too tight on their legs. See: Skyrush.

Well Im glad someone else agrees about Skyrush's restraint complaints. Some people really are as soft as Charmin on here.

Cedar Fair also COMPLETELY dropped Intamin so I doubt that will be happening.

Quit spreading this BS rumor around. There was never anything to "drop." There was no contract. Just because CF doesn't have any current Intamin projects doesn't mean they never will again.

Roller coasters can be violent things, but that is part of the fun.

There's a difference between shitty coasters that are rough and AWESOME coasters that you need to learn how to ride. There isn't an SLC in the world that I would ride a second time. And some of them have been smooth. They just aren't good enough rides worthy of another go.

SOB should be the poster child for rough, brutal and basically unridiable but I believe you understand the difference. (I know you do.) Even if wasn't painful, other than the drop and loop it was a boring ride. I have not had the pleasure of riding an SLC, so can't say. But to me the Beast is the perfect example. Great coaster once you learn how to ride it. If you don't know how to ride it, well it can throw you and hurt you. Mantis is another great example. If you don't how to ride it, it can hurt you. But it's a coaster we only ride once on a trip. It's just not that exciting, not when compared to Maverick. MF is one we only have to ride once because it doesn't compare to Maverick or Raptor either.

But oh boy if I had the chance, I would have given anything to ride the original Bat at KI again. I'm sure people would have complained about head banging, but that coaster was everything a suspended coaster should be. It puts all other to shame. Ditto for the Crystal Beach Cyclone. God, what I would have given to ride that. I guess that's why I'm shocked people complain about Maverick.

Well Im glad someone else agrees about Skyrush's restraint complaints. Some people really are as soft as Charmin on here.

See my recent "disagreed with" post in the Hersheypark thread re: Skyrush. Are you kidding me? It's elementary. this is also why stand-ups get such a bad rap. Sure they're painful, but can be learned. Nobody wants to give them a second chance to learn how to ride though. I am so-so on Mantis, no true hate. I can say that I actually enjoyed Green Lantern at SFGAd this summer, because Mantis tought me how.

This conversation is funny because I think it applies to another one of CPs rides...Magnum. Such a ridiculously fun ride that gets a good amount of criticism because it "hurts". Rides like Magnum and Maverick are meant to be thrilling. Every roller coaster has a sign outside warning guests that it is an aggressive thrill ride. Aggressive. I mean, what is it people expect from a ride specifically meant to thrill people? Roller coasters arent supposed to be cruises.

Also why are they still calling them selves the coaster capital?

Because what is the "coaster capital?" The park with the most coasters? The best coasters? With the best coaster operations? The most coasters with a 48" or over height restriction? There isn't any definition. So I think if Cedar Point wants to keep calling themselves the "Coaster Capital" I think they have every right to.

From a few pages back, but excellent point. Remember that SFGAm still boasts that they are the "cleanest theme park in America" lololol

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet... but did anyone notice CP Tony's blog post from July 25th?

Seems like there was some foreshadowing of announcements in that post and the park just revealed part of one of them.

(Although I do think Tony couldn't help himself throwing in one pic to keep a rumor alive on the enthusiast forms.)

Cedar Fair also COMPLETELY dropped Intamin so I doubt that will be happening.

Quit spreading this BS rumor around. There was never anything to "drop." There was no contract. Just because CF doesn't have any current Intamin projects doesn't mean they never will again.

This is the same stupid rumor that people said about SFMM for YEARS. And then all of a sudden SFMM went and did 3 Intamin projects in a row!

"and maybe, just maybe, don't trust mi?"

mi?

MI?

like the abbreviation for Michigan?

*gets super hopeful that this was more than just a coincidence even though it probably was just a coincidence because why would cedar point drop hints about MIA*

*but still gets hopeful anyway*

Not a good time to be a Standup at a Cedar Fair park. I hope the Vortices can hang one for at least one more season. It sounds ridiculous with all the other great coasters in California and King's Dominion, but there is a good possibility that a pair of old, unloved B&M Standups are what finally brings me to California and King's Dominion, respectively.

I'm glad I have plenty of laps on Mantis.

As for the Togo in Canada? Once was enough. I don't think they (Togo Standups) are rough, they just don't really do anything for me.

The other Vortex is at Carowinds. King's Dominion has Shockwave...a Togo Standup.

Indeed. Not sure why, but I thought Shockwave left at about the same time King Cobra was jettisoned. I guess it's probably just Batman Knight Flight/Dominator responsible for those voices in my head that I constantly hear beckoning me to visit Kings Dominion.

And while it's about as unrealistic as unrealistic gets, how about a Dominator for Mantis swap? At a glance, the footprint of both aren't *too* far off from each other, and there is the all-important bonus of bringing BKF/Dominator several hundred miles closer to me, which Ouimet would surely consider.

While we're on the topic of floorless coasters, I have trouble imagining anything being able to unseat the aforementioned Dominator as the best of the type by light years with a cherry on top. So, unless Mantis is getting Rocky Mountain'd...

Just watched the video again and the Grim Reaper asks "Ever wonder why you're not supposed to step on a Mantis?" Just trying to add more fuel to the speculation fire.

Hate to squish your thoughts but it seems like a nice tribute to the

for the opening of Mantis. (Pun intended).