TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I just got my first season pass (gold pass) with the dinning. Just wondering why do you have to pay for the drink shouldn't that be included with the dinning pass?

image.thumb.jpg.c0382ccded654e80f354dac63c8e06e4.jpg

Season pass plus dinning.

With Cedar Point and Carowinds having their brand new park entrances with their B&M coasters, it is now rumored that Kings Dominion will be getting a new entrance with a huge B&M coaster, possibly a wing. Could anyone see the B&M invert coming with a brand new entrance after the Dinosaur's Alive contract is up? Or maybe even before that? I don't see how there could be any room with Dinosaur's Alive being there right now.

I feel like this thread just repeats itself every month or so, with identical discussions resulting in identical answers/complaints every single time.

To answer your question, you can read the last 50 pages or so since last fall. To sum it up, we'll find out soon enough, but probably not in 2016. Don't expect anything on the scale of Gatekeeper, Banshee or Fury, if/when a new B&M coaster is built at Valleyfair.

^

Yep, I feel the same way. It seems like we've be speculating about the same things since November (with a few exceptions). Fortunately, the season starts this weekend, and hopefully it will give us new stuff to discuss.

I have noticed that you guys really like to complain about how VF is so mistreated, but if you look at the investments the last two years VF fair has come off looking really well. When comparing CF investments the last two years since VF was marked as a growth park the only parks with better investments were CP, CW, KI, Carowinds. Lets look to see how the other CF parks have been treated

DP: 2014 Slide tower, 2015 Larson Flyer

KD: 2014 General improvements 2015 Waterpark update

WOF: 2014 Windseeker 2015 Kids Splashpad

California Great America: 2014 Nothing 2015 Camp Snoopy Upgrade

Knotts: 2014 Camp Snoopy upgrade 2015 Iron Reef (Ok this is better than what VF got)

MIA: 2014 Nothing? 2015 Nothing

I have noticed that you guys really like to complain about how VF is so mistreated, but if you look at the investments the last two years VF fair has come off looking really well. When comparing CF investments the last two years since VF was marked as a growth park the only parks with better investments were CP, CW, KI, Carowinds. Lets look to see how the other CF parks have been treated

Knotts: 2014 Camp Snoopy upgrade 2015 Iron Reef (Ok this is better than what VF got)

KD's waterpark expansion is wonderful and in addition to waterpark that already blew VF's out of the park.

Dorney's waterpark again is also already wonderful.

Worlds of Fun: same deal

CGA: same deal, already a great waterpark by comparison to pre-2015 VF

Knotts: really?

MIA: Their waterpark is spectacular compared to ours.

VF is finally getting into the game it seems though

You have a good point there. Valleyfair may have been neglected a bit in the past, but it has been getting better in recent years with Planet Snoopy, Route 76, the waterpark expansion, and a lot of other general improvements. Still, I would expect the maximum price tag for a coaster to be no more than $15 million, and if they ever go above that, it won't be for quite a while.

With Cedar Point and Carowinds having their brand new park entrances with their B&M coasters, it is now rumored that Kings Dominion will be getting a new entrance with a huge B&M coaster, possibly a wing. Could anyone see the B&M invert coming with a brand new entrance after the Dinosaur's Alive contract is up? Or maybe even before that? I don't see how there could be any room with Dinosaur's Alive being there right now.

A new entrance plaza could possibly be in the works, although I don't know if it would be accompanied by a new coaster because Wild Thing could be considered VF's front gate coaster. Sure, it doesn't travel directly over the park entrance, but it comes close.

I don't know if we like to complain but we do because the park has not received a new roller coaster or thirll ride (i.e. Power Tower; Xtreme Swings) in over 8 years. I also don't know if that gives us the right to complain but that is the longest time period since the park opened that it has not added something along those lines. Then you see an independent park like HW invest in Thunderbird at $22 million in the middle of nowhere Indiana and well......we complain like it or not. If VF fans got 2/3 of that for an investment into a new thrill ride at VF the complaining on this forum would mostly disappear I think.

You ranked the CF parks in the following order in relation to Valleyfair investment: CP, CW, KI, Carowinds and Knotts. Then you have VF followed by DP, KD, WOF, CGA and MiA. That puts the park right in the middle which is average, I don't personally think average is 'looking really well' as you stated.

Not bad but then again not good either, just average. I don't consider that a 'growth park' strategy as the CF board has indicated but we will see what happens in the next 3-5 years before I pass final judgement. The 'complaining' is not about the last 2 years, it is more about the last 5-8 years compared to other CF parks and what they have added. If you look at more than the last 2 years is when VF ranks very low and that is what is causing the 'complaining'. If VF added something like I-305 at KD which you list below VF for the last 2 years you would hear no complaining at all for a decade....maybe 2 decades at VF because we don't expect that kind of investment. It has been 8 years since the last new major thrill ride with no new announcements in sight. I think this is the reason we are 'complaining'. The park is due for something like this and until it gets a big thrilling attraction or coaster I would expect more of the same 'complaining'. Then again you may be right, after the park gets a new big attraction we might complain about getting another flat, dark ride or water park addition. That would be a nice problem to have. Time will tell.

VF and MIA are the lowest attendance parks in the chain. KD, Carowinds, and KI got big recent additions because they pull the profits to justify it. Im sure the smaller parks MIA, VF, and wof will get there glory soon.

There are so many Cedar Fair parks people are speculating to get a coaster in the near future that I don't know what's going to happen. In 2016 Cedar Point will most likely get the major investment yet again with the B&M dive machine that has been heavily rumored and I have a feeling DP will get something pretty major with maybe a GCI woodie or a good family coaster ( I have heard that DP bought new land to expand the park). 2017 is KD's year with some sort of monster B&M and then either VF, WoF, or MIA will also get something good that same year.

I don't know if we like to complain but we do because the park has not received a new roller coaster or thirll ride (i.e. Power Tower; Xtreme Swings) in over 8 years. I also don't know if that gives us the right to complain but that is the longest time period since the park opened that it has not added something along those lines. Then you see an independent park like HW invest in Thunderbird at $22 million in the middle of nowhere Indiana and well......we complain like it or not. If VF fans got 2/3 of that for an investment into a new thrill ride at VF the complaining on this forum would mostly disappear I think.

You ranked the CF parks in the following order in relation to Valleyfair investment: CP, CW, KI, Carowinds and Knotts. Then you have VF followed by DP, KD, WOF, CGA and MiA. That puts the park right in the middle which is average, I don't personally think average is 'looking really well' as you stated.

Not bad but then again not good either, just average. I don't consider that a 'growth park' strategy as the CF board has indicated but we will see what happens in the next 3-5 years before I pass final judgement. The 'complaining' is not about the last 2 years, it is more about the last 5-8 years compared to other CF parks and what they have added. If you look at more than the last 2 years is when VF ranks very low and that is what is causing the 'complaining'. If VF added something like I-305 at KD which you list below VF for the last 2 years you would hear no complaining at all for a decade....maybe 2 decades at VF because we don't expect that kind of investment. It has been 8 years since the last new major thrill ride with no new announcements in sight. I think this is the reason we are 'complaining'. The park is due for something like this and until it gets a big thrilling attraction or coaster I would expect more of the same 'complaining'. Then again you may be right, after the park gets a new big attraction we might complain about getting another flat, dark ride or water park addition. That would be a nice problem to have. Time will tell.

Yes it's been eight years since a thrill ride/coaster. But we forget the four new coasters in 11 years with a smattering of large thrill rides in there that was 1996-2007. The parent company aquired some underdeveloped parks and brought them upto snuff, first. With a new CEO at the helm, we've received two solid additions to the park two years in a row. Why does everyone feel like this park is so mistreated? Everyone that's riding the "we'll never get a new coaster and valleyfair is the red headed step child of CF." train, take a chill pill. This park is on the right track for expansion and a big coaster. Just be patient.

As far as growth park initiative, they've expanded the water park, presumably to handle larger crowds. They've completely created a new area to add to guest capacity. Both of these fall in line with us getting something big sooner rather than later!

^Neither. This thread is honestly becoming frustrating to me. Cedar Fair claimed Valleyfair a "growth" park. All this means is they intent to expand the park and invest at some greater rate than in recent years. This has absolutely happened. "Growth" doesn't mean "next Cedar Point."

Honestly, some of these posts just reek of an "all or nothing" attitude. Yes, it's been awhile since the last new coaster. Do you seriously think Cedar Fair doesn't know this, and doesn't understand how to run this park? You don't need new coasters very often to turn a profit, and if the park is doing fairly well as it is, there is really no immediate need to invest millions of dollars each year to cater to entitled enthusiasts.

What about this situation seriously makes you think Valleyfair is suddenly "doomed" for all eternity? It's a smaller park. Lower revenue, smaller investments, even in "growth" situations. And please, stop comparing to other parks of similar size or in the chain. They have no effect on Valleyfair, and just because the park hasn't been invested in as heavily as half of the other CF parks doesn't mean it is "neglected." I think we should try to realize what this means before tossing out that term at all, for both Valleyfair and Michigans Adventure.

Don't mean to sound heated, just want to get my thoughts/frustrations out there. Returning to regular programming.

Thunderbird at Holiday World cost $22 million they also could have invested in a hyper steel coaster like Wild Thing cost at $12 million why was Thunderbird $22 million? Holiday World could have gotten a nice sized hyper coaster for that price. Its also Valleyfairs 40th anniversary next year I have a feeling they will add something. I'd like to see a giant max air thrill ride you could put it where the old chaos sits and under the Wild Thing turn around add a sling shot I also think a giant spin cycle ride like at Silverwood Theme Park will look nice at Valleyfair add some new flat rides then add a new coaster. The only one spot were they could have land space for a B&M inverted or wing will be over were the dinosaurs alive sits and keep the building entrance for the station. One other spot is they could remove the amitheatre possibly make room for a B&M station and have the lift hill go over the main entrance and have the rest of the coaster go were the dinasours alive sits.

^Neither. This thread is honestly becoming frustrating to me. Cedar Fair claimed Valleyfair a "growth" park. All this means is they intent to expand the park and invest at some greater rate than in recent years. This has absolutely happened. "Growth" doesn't mean "next Cedar Point."

Honestly, some of these posts just reek of an "all or nothing" attitude. Yes, it's been awhile since the last new coaster. Do you seriously think Cedar Fair doesn't know this, and doesn't understand how to run this park? You don't need new coasters very often to turn a profit, and if the park is doing fairly well as it is, there is really no immediate need to invest millions of dollars each year to cater to entitled enthusiasts.

What about this situation seriously makes you think Valleyfair is suddenly "doomed" for all eternity? It's a smaller park. Lower revenue, smaller investments, even in "growth" situations. And please, stop comparing to other parks of similar size or in the chain. They have no effect on Valleyfair, and just because the park hasn't been invested in as heavily as half of the other CF parks doesn't mean it is "neglected." I think we should try to realize what this means before tossing out that term at all, for both Valleyfair and Michigans Adventure.

Don't mean to sound heated, just want to get my thoughts/frustrations out there. Returning to regular programming.

I agree with all this completely. The park will continue to grow in some form slowly but surely. This waterpark expansion is already going to give us one of the best Cedar Fair waterparks. Once the next phase of the waterpark expansion comes it will probably put our waterpark right up there with Boomerang Bay at Carowinds or the Soak City at Kings Island. Not sure how big those are in terms of size but with these 6 new slides there is no doubt they will bring some good attention to the park. At this point, lets just enjoy the fact that we are getting SOMETHING to keep our heads up that the park is going in a good direction. I'm sure as the season goes on, we will see tons more theories and speculaton about current construction and whatnot which will make this thread a little more interesting and will bring more positivity!