TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Valleyfair's waterpark really just needs to be able to hold its own against local competition and the Wisconsin Dells at this point (and be interesting enough to make that long drive to the Dells seem less worthwhile). With the awesome new slide tower, it's definitely a huge step up.

Whatever comes next for the waterpark will be great, but I don't understand why people are getting upset about the speculation along the way...just about every park thread is loaded with speculation during the off-season, and while a lot of the other parks are already open, Valleyfair is still technically in its off-season until Friday...the posts will change gears as the season gets going and we get to ogle the new additions and the changes. But seriously, the park ain't open for us yet.

I think that the thread has been amazingly active during this last off-season though. The page count practically doubled.

All these new different perspectives are confusing me. Is Valleyfair doomed for eternity or is it going to be the next carowinds?

OH MY WORD !!!!!!! You just figured out our theme for our eventual dark ride. An epic battle of pessimists verses optimists will be waged within the walls of the Valleyfair battle arena. No one will be spared, all will suffer! No rules is the rule of this game. All weapons of mass destruction are allowed. The victor, if there is one, will banish the loser to a snake infested pit for all eternity. The winner will enjoy an eternity of privilege, gluttony and thrills!

HaHa, LOL! O.K. I admit it's a bit dramatic but so is this topic. We have a great park that is only getting better! Instead of complaining why don't we thank Cedar Fair for what they are doing. There is really nothing out of the scope of possibility but we have to be patient. I'd actually like to see Valleyfair team up with Nick U. like K.D. and Busch Gardens Williamsburg just did (I think its those two). What a great entertainment package that would be! And look at little Nick U. A new "Flyover America" attraction priced at $20,000,000? I'm sure MOA is working with them cause its a separate attraction but Nick U. will surly benefit from it. So let's not say "won't" or "can't" when it comes to what Cedar Fair will do the Valleyfair. You just never know!

I'm not sure how having two slide comples makes us have one of the best waterparks, but this next one does look great. I think they could of used the Snake Pit complex because it would of gave them much more variety with three great tube slides ( Constrictor type slides are amazing with so much intensity around the turns) and three unique drop slides. I don't think this waterpark is as good as KI, WoF, DP, KD, MIA, or Carowinds, but it does have some potential.

I'm not sure how having two slide comples makes us have one of the best waterparks, but this next one does look great. ... I don't think this waterpark is as good as KI, WoF, DP, KD, MIA, or Carowinds, but it does have some potential.

Agreed. Waterpark could certainly use more growth, but this year's additions are definitely a big sign that Cedar Fair understands the potential and are going about it in a smart and economical way. Whatever comes next can only add to that.

Yes it's been eight years since a thrill ride/coaster. But we forget the four new coasters in 11 years with a smattering of large thrill rides in there that was 1996-2007.

Exactly! I didn't forget at all. I like to refer to those as the 'good old days'. 4 new coasters with Power Tower thrown in during that period, good times!!! I never complained during that time. I just want CF to get back to that strategy for VF and treat it like the other CF parks for investment like they used too (except MiA). The last 8 years have been seriously lacking compared to that time.

Now, Camp Snoopy was no small investment at $11 million during the last 8 years and it turned out to be the best looking part of the park which is great but they HAD to do that. If not, Nickelodeon Universe would have ate VF's lunch for kiddie rides. VF had rides from the 70's that I rode as a kid which had not been touched in 35 years and they needed to do that just to make that part of the park modern and competitive. But when you compare the 11 years from 1996 - 2007 to the last 8 years CF's investment in VF has dropped off considerably and that is what I am complaining about.

Camp snoopy, route 76, dinos alive, and this slide tower are all good sized additions.
Yes, they are, but I am upset that the park has gone so long without adding something thrilling in the dry park. I don't know why people think it's so outrageous for a little complaining after 8 years of nothing thrilling in the dry park. Especially when you compare the park to the other CF parks and what they have been receiving recently.

^

Well, we are getting something thrilling this year with the new slide tower. Yes, it is in the water park and not the dry park, but at least it lets us know that Valleyfair is still aware of its thrill-seeker fanbase. :)

Tried out our dining plan at Chickies and Petes, Northwoods Grill and Planet Snoopy Grill.

How was your experience with the dining pass? Thinking about getting one since I'm gonna be home most of the summer.

Everything was very smooth and there are quite a few options to choose from.

Camp snoopy, route 76, dinos alive, and this slide tower are all good sized additions.
Yes, they are, but I am upset that the park has gone so long without adding something thrilling in the dry park. I don't know why people think it's so outrageous for a little complaining after 8 years of nothing thrilling in the dry park. Especially when you compare the park to the other CF parks and what they have been receiving recently.

It's a bit early to classify the slides as "not thrilling" if you haven't been on them yet. I tested them last Saturday and let me tell you, they are VERY thrilling. I wouldn't really classify the water park additions separate from every other addition in the past because they are still in the same park being Valleyfair. I think as long as we got something thrilling in the so called "wet" or"dry" park, we should be happy for the meantime. Coasters aren't everything to a park, and there are a lot of things Valleyfair needs before a new coaster IMO

Edited by valleyfairfanatic

It's a bit early to classify the slides as "not thrilling" if you haven't been on them yet. I tested them last Saturday and let me tell you, they are VERY thrilling. I wouldn't really classify the water park additions separate from every other addition in the past because they are still in the same park being Valleyfair. I think as long as we got something thrilling in the so called "wet" and "dry" park, we should be happy for the meantime. Coasters aren't everything to a park, and there are a lot of things Valleyfair needs before a new coaster IMO

Notice how I said something thrilling in the dry park. The waterpark doesn't really interest me, and it is completely different than the dry park.

I feel like Cedar Fair in general doesn't put in as much of the way of coasters as they should do at the smaller parks, and even KD hasn't received a coaster since 2010 which by 2017 ( when they are rumored to get one) will be seven years and that's one of Cedar Fairs biggest parks! MIA is so much more mistreated then Valleyfair with not getting anything this year and last year a flying scooters ride, not to mention that there last coaster in 2008 was a relocated slc. Valleyfair might haven't received anything big since 2007, but they have made some big changes for everyone so that the whole family can enjoy a day at Valleyfair!

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the height restriction at valleyfair 275 feet? If I remember correctly the power tower was supposed to be 300 feet but it needed to be shorter due to restrictions.

You are correct. Its because of flying cloud airport across the river. However, i believe that restriction is true for the center portion of the park only.

So if the height restriction is in the center of the park Valleyfair could build a 301 foot wind seeker in the back of the park then? I will be there Friday opening day off season officially over. Someone is going to have to talk with Dave Frazier about a new B&M coaster for next season or a new thrill ride to or maybe give him some input or convince him.

Edited by ACES

^

Whatever Valleyfair is getting in 2016 is probably already finalized (or close to finalized), so telling Dave Frazier that we need a coaster next year probably won't help anything.

I don't think I would wanna see a windseeker at valleyfair myself. But its interesting to think about when the time of a new coaster does come, how tall do you think it will be? Especially if its an invert. I'm sure Dave Frazier has a million people talk to him about valleyfairs next possible coaster

Anybody remember when the cones were spotted in the parking lot last year? I know someone posted an image with an outline of the area coned off...I can't find it as I go through the past pages. First world problems.

What do you think the likelihood is that the park's website will have a blog post for opening weekend?

^ If they don't update their blog about opening weekend I would be shocked. If you can't update during the opener when are you going to do it?

I see they turned off the construction cam the day before opening just like last year. Anybody else wish VF had a everyday park camera(s) like CP, KI and other CF parks have? That being said, opening day and weekend have finally arrived! Is anybody on here going to the park tomorrow like me? I should also ask, is anybody working at the park tomorrow?

And my last question is; what new things are you looking forward to checking out at the park this weekend? (Please post below). Personally I am excited to check out High Roller and see what work has been done on it (per GM Dave's Twitter feed) and how the ride is affected. The work done on Renegade last year really paid off in improving the overall ride so it will be interesting to see how they can improve HR's ride.

^ If they don't update their blog about opening weekend I would be shocked. If you can't update during the opener when are you going to do it?

I see they turned off the construction cam the day before opening just like last year. Anybody else wish VF had a everyday park camera(s) like CP, KI and other CF parks have? That being said, opening day and weekend have finally arrived! Is anybody on here going to the park tomorrow like me? I should also ask, is anybody working at the park tomorrow?

And my last question is; what new things are you looking forward to checking out at the park this weekend? (Please post below). Personally I am excited to check out High Roller and see what work has been done on it (per GM Dave's Twitter feed) and how the ride is affected. The work done on Renegade last year really paid off in improving the overall ride so it will be interesting to see how they can improve HR's ride.

I'm so glad it's finally here! I'll be there tomorrow after school and Saturday morning as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the park again and being able to take lots of pictures for my blog. I'm also excited for Run and Ride on Saturday. Basically I'm really excited for the season even though I got a peek on Sunday. I think it's gonna be a good one!!

That being said, opening day and weekend have finally arrived! Is anybody on here going to the park tomorrow like me? I should also ask, is anybody working at the park tomorrow?

I will be at the park on Saturday, weather permitting (I can't make it tomorrow). I'm looking forward to seeing how Corkscrew's trains look in their new paint schemes (one train was painted orange and the other yellow). It should be interesting to see how the traffic in the corner near Mad Mouse flows with the new path there. My guess is that it will slightly better but not significantly better.

I personally thought the High Roller retracking from the previous offseason was good, but it's nice that they're doing even more this year. I personally think the best way to improve High Roller would be to turn off the trim at the end of the turnaround, but that obviously won't happen . I also hope they did a little more track work on Renegade because there were still a few rattly spots on it last season.