TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

In the article it'll says "new heights coming in 2017". Hint. I'm still going to guess it's a Wind Seeker. If that's all we got I would be happy. The height of 301 feet would be thrilling for Valleyfair. This would be the tallest ride ever at Valleyfair.

Either ride would fit the "new heights in 2017" hint. I would lean towards it being a sky roller, since a frisbee would be somewhat similar to Xtreme Swing, just some added spinning.

Not somewhat similar IMHO. I love both models, but they definitely ride different. The sensations are also different.

For history, lets take a look at another Cedar Fair park, that flagship one in Ohio.

2004: MaXair (Frisbee)

2006: SkyHawk (Screamin Swing)

Comments like those sounded like a lot of people 10 years ago when SkyHawk was announced but before it opened. Once it opened, it got awfully quiet! (for the most part). But there are probably some people who do feel that they are the same. It is what it is at that point. You say tomato, I say tomato (this really does NOT work well when not actually speaking)

In the article it'll says "new heights coming in 2017". Hint. I'm still going to guess it's a Wind Seeker. If that's all we got I would be happy. The height of 301 feet would be thrilling for Valleyfair. This would be the tallest ride ever at Valleyfair.

Don't Windseekers have a lot of mechanical issues though? The one at Knotts Berry Farm was closed down for about a year until it was relocated to Worlds of Fun. I just don't feel like it would be worth the investment. Cedar Fair hasn't added a NEW one to their parks since 2012. I'm still a little iffy with the height restriction.

Whatever it is, this is the earliest they've had an announcement in a long time. If memory serves, didn't they announce Renegade in September? And this is a month earlier than that!!!!!!!!!!

Renegade was announced in mid-August.

For history, lets take a look at another Cedar Fair park, that flagship one in Ohio.

2004: MaXair (Frisbee)

2006: SkyHawk (Screamin Swing)

No, let's not. That park also has triple Valleyfair's attendance, 17 roller coasters and a history of multiple similar rides. Two sky rides (Frontier Lift, anyone?), two Dodgems--and that's off the top of my head. I enjoy Screaming Swings (VF's, CP's, Dollywood's, Thorpe Park's) and Giant Frisbees (CP's, PKI's) but question whether our much smaller park needs both.

But there's more.

Not only has VF gone without a new adult thrill ride in eight seasons, we've actually regressed. Enterprise's loss equals a total subtraction of three inverting thrill rides in eight years. Chaos and Skyscraper disappeared too. SOMETHING needs to go upside-down in this (bleep).

Whatever it is, this is the earliest they've had an announcement in a long time. If memory serves, didn't they announce Renegade in September? And this is a month earlier than that!!!!!!!!!!

Nope it was announced September 21st, 2006. I remember since it was a couple days before my birthday

http://www.coaster-net.com/news/749-a-new-renegade-on-the-way-to-valleyfair/

Don't Windseekers have a lot of mechanical issues though? The one at Knotts Berry Farm was closed down for about a year until it was relocated to Worlds of Fun. I just don't feel like it would be worth the investment. Cedar Fair hasn't added a NEW one to their parks since 2012. I'm still a little iffy with the height restriction.

Actually there haven't been any major issues with the Windseekers this season. The newest installation (at Adventureland) has not had any issues. A reprogramming to fix some of the known glitches happened the same year WOF installed their's (as well as Adventureland).

As far as there being no new installations at Cedar Fair parks recently, that's because all of the major parks already have one. The only parks without one are DP, VF, CGA, MiA and KBF. So going off a lack of installations here lately is not really a good determining factor as the market (for Cedar Fair) is rather saturated already - and let's be honest of the parks remaining only VF is likely to get one.

The only reason Cedar Point and Valleyfair even ended up getting screaming swings is as followed:

- Slingshot at Cedar Poiny was having extreme troubles and S&S couldn't do much about it.

- S&S, as an apology, offered Cedar Fair a BOGO ( buy one get one free )Screaming Swing. Cedar Fair was much more interested in adding an El Loco, which was new at the time. S&S stuck to its original deal and refused CF's offer. Remember, this was before the Paramount Parks were bought. CF, which already had smaller models at Dorney Park and Knotts, elected to place them at Cedar Point and Valleyfair. In a perfect world, neither park should have this ride.

Edited by millertpr

They're buying Flying Falcon from Hershey.

OMG that would be awesome!! I love Condors but would HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt they would buy a competitor's ride, especially with Dorney in the same area.

The only reason Cedar Point and Valleyfair even ended up getting screaming swings is as followed:

- Slingshot at Cedar Poiny was having extreme troubles and S&S couldn't do much about it.

- S&S, as an apology, offered Cedar Fair a BOGO ( buy one get one free )Screaming Swing. Cedar Fair was much more interested in adding an El Loco, which was new at the time. S&S stuck to its original deal and refused CF's offer. Remember, this was before the Paramount Parks were bought. CF, which already had smaller models at Dorney Park and Knotts, elected to place them at Cedar Point and Valleyfair. In a perfect world, neither park should have this ride.

Is this fact (like there is proof this actually took place) or is it some idea of what had happened behind closed doors AKA a rumor?

Nope it was announced September 21st, 2006. I remember since it was a couple days before my birthday

http://www.coaster-net.com/news/749-a-new-renegade-on-the-way-to-valleyfair/

Oh, my mistake. I just checked the front page of this thread and it linked to a post from August 16th, 2006, so I just figured it was announced that day.

As much as that would sound like a legit story (and not denying it), there just seems to be a gap in the timeline. Would make sense though.

VertiGo opened at Cedar Point Mid-Summer 2001 and an additional one opened at Knott's in the Fall. The towers were only allowed to sway 8 feet but, as part of the preventative maintenance for the winter, Cedar Point removed the ride vehicle and running wires. This was important in stabilizing the towers, and one bent too far during a wind storm in the winter and it partially collapsed (it literally sheared the pole off). Soon after, the chain announced both attractions would be removed because the ride was likely to face popularity issues after the incident. With that said, the one at Knott's did NOT close until March of 2002, but the one at Cedar Point was immediately removed.

In 2004, S&S built their first prototype Screamin' Swing, which happened to be the one that opened at Knott's. Dorney was next in 2005 and then in 2006, the two larger models opened at Valleyfair & Cedar Point. That means the closure at the two parks came two years before the one went into Knott's (which was the replacement of VertiGo, it went in the exact same spot), three years before Dorney and then four before the other two parks. With the two smaller ones coming first, wouldn't that technically be "Buy three rides from us and we'll give you one free" or "Buy the two smaller models, including your one replacement for the one at Knotts for full price, and then buy a larger one at full price and we'll give you another free"? Not denying a deal was involved, but just wondering how it worked in the bigger picture with their two smaller models and the replacement one at Knott's.

What does give credence to what you said is this, however. The tower partially collapses and the decision to remove it is immediately made because of "popularity issues". That does tend to make many believe that the ride was already having issues before it even closed for the season. Correct me if I am wrong, but do any of these types of SlingShot type rides like VertiGo exist anymore?

As for the park at 2017, whatever it is, it will be a pretty exciting addition it sounds like. WindSeeker, Frisbee, Sky Roller, but what if it is something completely different that shocks everyone?

Speaking of SlingShot, I believe someone mentioned one of those. I don't think we'd be seeing an announcement for a SlingShot ride. The previous installations pretty much just got installed and then announced. I don't think we'd be looking at an announced closure of a ride and then an announcement in Mid August for one of those.

Yes, thank you for correcting me. I was a little unsure about the timeline of some of those, but the overall general story is true. According to what I know, the smaller Screamin swings were given to CF at some discount, although I'm not sure what. I used to work with Cedar Fair as an independent advisor and I believe the price was very good overall.

Yes, thank you for correcting me. I was a little unsure about the timeline of some of those, but the overall general story is true. According to what I know, the smaller Screamin swings were given to CF at some discount, although I'm not sure what. I used to work with Cedar Fair as an independent advisor and I believe the price was very good overall.

Not doubting that! Wish they could've snagged some more at a good price. I really love the Screamin' Swings .

It's one of those damned swing-type dealies. Windsucker lovers, rejoice.

Could it be a Sky roller? Or possibly a different brand than Mondial? This is a good investment but where's the coaster??? Valleyfair...wyd?

The fact that it says STAR FLYER makes me think it will be one of the Funtime models like Six Flags has. Remember, Cedar Fair was looking to go with Funtime at first but then went with Mondial for the WindSeekers because they were concerned about wind (specifically at Cedar Point). Then there was that whole lawsuit and stuff. But obviously things have been repaired and returned to normal business because Cedar Fair has been purchasing the SlingShot's off of Funtime. Maybe this will be one of their models!

That's probably the value of the specific permitted construction. My guess: Footings(?), electrical conduit, whatever else I don't know about that goes into the foundation of one of these things.

Only question now: How tall? Iowa's already got a 260-footer. There ARE areas in Valleyfair where a 275-foot height limit would not apply. We've been specifically told so by former park executives who'd know. Taller than Power Tower? I'm guessing yes. World-record setting? Couldn't possibly tell you.

Would be a great--and not terribly expensive--way to put VF on the map. We'll see!