TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I wonder if anything will replace Enterprise or if it will just become a prepping ground for a front gate coaster in 2017/2018.

Whatever is coming will be in 2017. The StarTribune article and VF Twitter said,

“2016 is the last spin for 38-year-old Enterprise as we prepare for new heights in 2017.”

I just don't understand what flat ride would require them to close Enterprise this early.

I'd be surprised if this had anything to do with a front gate coaster. Don't get me wrong, I think a coaster is coming to the Dino's spot a year after they leave (2020-2021).

I know this is VF we're talking about and that they haven't gotten a new coaster since 2007, but it's totally possible for a park to get a coaster in 2017 and 2020 or 2021. Especially if the first coaster is something really special that will draw people to come in from all over, raising the attendance for a few seasons.

With the removal of scrambler and now enterprise there is a lot of space in that area that could be used for a part of a front gate coaster. But if it was a coaster I feel like we would have already seen some markings, I remember we started seeing markings as early as June 2006 for Renegade.

it's totally possible for a park to get a coaster in 2017 and 2020 or 2021. Especially if the first coaster is something really special that will draw people to come in from all over, raising the attendance for a few seasons.

If a coaster comes in 2017 (which I highly doubt) it won't be larger than an SLC or Boomerang.

Which still won't make you happy. Deal with the realities! I'm telling you this for your own good.

Do you know how many fresh paint markings and flags were present for Renegade by May of the preceding season? How 'bout the slides? Or even the demolition of the IMAX theater? There's NOTHING like that in the park right now. Nothing. Nothing anywhere. There's only one very small marker by Enterprise. Which might not have anything to do with a replacement flat ride.

it's totally possible for a park to get a coaster in 2017 and 2020 or 2021. Especially if the first coaster is something really special that will draw people to come in from all over, raising the attendance for a few seasons.

If a coaster comes in 2017 (which I highly doubt) it won't be larger than an SLC or Boomerang.

Which still won't make you happy. Deal with the realities! I'm telling you this for your own good.

Do you know how many fresh paint markings and flags were present for Renegade by May of the preceding season? How 'bout the slides? Or even the demolition of the IMAX theater? There's NOTHING like that in the park right now. Nothing. Nothing anywhere. There's only one very small marker by Enterprise. Which might not have anything to do with a replacement flat ride.

I never said I was expecting a coaster next season. I'm just saying that the possibility of a coaster in four-five years doesn't mean they can't get one now. And I have no idea what markers were used for Renegade. I was six . Renegade was probably a little harder to build also, I would expect that they had to deal with a lot of trees. A coaster by Enterprise's lot wouldn't take as long to build. I'm still not saying it will happen, just that it's possible. And why would a Vekoma coaster be the only option?

I could see Enterprise possibly being put back in its spot after a year of rehab, just leaving the pad empty in the meantime.

Would LOVE to see a Windseeker/Sky Roller/Slingshot or other tall flat put in the Wild Thing turnaround. That area has been begging for a cool flat ride for years.

Loads of speculation and naivety among the VF fans here. I count myself among them. A part of me would LOVE this to be a prelude to a new coaster announcement for 2017, but my rational mind says it will likely be a flat ride that takes Enterprise's place. I think this for 2 reasons:

1. I believe we would've seen more construction markers by now if it were a coaster - and possibly even seen track pieces arrive already. That hasn't happened.

2. After refurbishing the amphitheater, I doubt they would put a new coaster so close to it. One of the main reasons the amphitheater has been under-utilized is due to the noise of Wild Thing's mcbr. Adding another coaster so close (especially a B&M with its characteristic 'roar') would add insult to injury - eliminating any possibility of a more traditional show for the theater. Why refurbish it if it becomes unusuable for multiple types of shows?

In any event, I'm betting we'll be waiting another year or two for a new coaster. In the meantime, has there been any movement on the Soak City expansion/second gate rumor as of late?

After refurbishing the amphitheater, I doubt they would put a new coaster so close to it. One of the main reasons the amphitheater has been under-utilized is due to the noise of Wild Thing's mcbr.

They held the same shows they used to hold (Johnny Holm, other bands, a pet show) years and years after Wild Thing was built. I'm not going to pretend to be an authority, but I'd guess it was a combination of Live E's budget and the ampitheater's continued aging. If they give Ed Alonzo a bigger show budget (which he got in '14 and '15), there's no money for a show in the ampitheater, too. If this year's bike and trampoline show eats the budget, there's no money for a Galaxy Theater show.

Adding another coaster so close (especially a B&M with its characteristic 'roar') would add insult to injury - eliminating any possibility of a more traditional show for the theater.

Spoken like someone who doesn't realize how much quieter sand-filled supports are. And who's OBVIOUSLY never been to Knotts Wild West Stunt Show. If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google up some pics. There's a B&M practically sitting on top of it.

I don't believe there's any coaster coming in 2017 either. But the ampitheater isn't the reason.

B&M track can be very very quiet, even silent. Look at Talon at Dorney Park for an example. Its track is filled with sand. Also, the MCBR on Wild Thing, as previously stated, hasn't hurt shows in the past and they just brought back a new show so you can see management doesn't think much of it.

I also don't think the Ampitheater will be leaving this year. I'm sorry if I offend some people, but in the case of a coaster coming, they would demolish the Ampitheater in a second. Practically NOWHERE are live entertainment shows advertised like on TV or radio and frankly, most people don't think too highly of them - it's an amusement park show, not Broadway. A coaster would do marvels for the park in terms of $$$ that it would bring in. A new show might get a 100 Passholders to renew. IDK, that's just my opinion.

*And, no I don't think Valleyfair will be receiving a roller coaster for 2017.

They held the same shows they used to hold (Johnny Holm, other bands, a pet show) years and years after Wild Thing was built. I'm not going to pretend to be an authority, but I'd guess it was a combination of Live E's budget and the ampitheater's continued aging. If they give Ed Alonzo a bigger show budget (which he got in '14 and '15), there's no money for a show in the ampitheater, too. If this year's bike and trampoline show eats the budget, there's no money for a Galaxy Theater show.

Prior to Wild Thing's opening, there were TONS of musical acts using the Amphitheater - everything from school choirs to rock concerts. I recall that the year Wild Thing opened that 2 acts specifically cut their runs short due to the noise of the mcbr (All the Pretty Horses was one of them). There was a noticeable decline in the number of acts and the quality after Wild Thing came along.

Adding another coaster so close (especially a B&M with its characteristic 'roar') would add insult to injury - eliminating any possibility of a more traditional show for the theater.

Spoken like someone who doesn't realize how much quieter sand-filled supports are. And who's OBVIOUSLY never been to Knotts Wild West Stunt Show. If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google up some pics. There's a B&M practically sitting on top of it.

I don't believe there's any coaster coming in 2017 either. But the ampitheater isn't the reason.

I've been to Knotts, and the Wild West Stunt Show is a louder and more raucous show than anything VF has done. They couldn't do a country western music show in that theater with Silver Bullet rolling by, sand-filled supports or not.

I was just expressing an opinion. No need to get judgy or rude.

^Visiting Knotts and actually attending the show are two different things.

While there are gunshots and the occasional explosion, it's DIALOGUE driven. You don't have to hear every lyric of a song to enjoy it.

If you don't hear the wordplay--and there's far more of that than stunts--the show doesn't work.

Making a point isn't being 'judgy.' But thanks for proving mine. Incidentally, I didn't speak of other posters' naivety. Glass houses, I guess..

A new show might get a 100 Passholders to renew. IDK, that's just my opinion.

That's awfully optimistic.

The Enterprise location will be used for a ride to be announced on the 18th.

Anyone check out the Hersheypark announcement? I don't know if that 3rd tower is a double shot or a new idea, but if it's a new idea, what are the chances the two turbo drops here get converted into them with the blue becoming just a turbo drop? Does that make any sense to anyone or do I need to elaborate further?

A new show might get a 100 Passholders to renew. IDK, that's just my opinion.

That's awfully optimistic.

The Enterprise location will be used for a ride to be announced on the 18th.

Anyone check out the Hersheypark announcement? I don't know if that 3rd tower is a double shot or a new idea, but if it's a new idea, what are the chances the two turbo drops here get converted into them with the blue becoming just a turbo drop? Does that make any sense to anyone or do I need to elaborate further?

Blue is space shot, so there would have to be a LOT of work done to change it over to a turbo drop, i.e., changing pretty much everything. And I don't think the towers are large enough to handle rotating carts, but I could be wrong. I don't see them doing anything to Power Tower in the foreseeable future.

I've only been on one DoubleShot (SFFT) but it was the most fun I've had on a 160-foot S&S (et al) tower. And yes, that would include WoF's Detonator and the model atop the Strat. Galaxyland's whups both of those, but I think it's shorter (120 feet?).

What worries me is how that experience would translate to a 240-foot model... and then how much they'd wind up sussing it down.

I think they'd consider it, if the price of conversion was right (say, $3 million or less) and someone convinced CF it would bring more crowds than a comparably priced flat ride. But I don't think PT's really waning in popularity, is it? 'Till then, I'd guess it's a moot point.

594317172_thesinglestake.thumb.jpg.f88b6392653bd3126f5e882663658e6f.jpg

So here's the single stake in Enterprise's infield. Not much. But there seldom is for a flat ride.

This time of year in '15, Flying Cows might not have been more than a single red paint stripe.

Wonder if there's any significance to the letters...?

If it is a sky roller, I wonder if they will try to get creative with the name or just copy Skyhawk from Canada's Wonderland. I guess the same could go for if it turns out to be a frisbee, with Delirium. Either ride would fit the "new heights in 2017" hint. I would lean towards it being a sky roller, since a frisbee would be somewhat similar to Xtreme Swing, just some added spinning.

If it is a sky roller, I wonder if they will try to get creative with the name or just copy Skyhawk from Canada's Wonderland. I guess the same could go for if it turns out to be a frisbee, with Delirium. Either ride would fit the "new heights in 2017" hint. I would lean towards it being a sky roller, since a frisbee would be somewhat similar to Xtreme Swing, just some added spinning.

They may seem similar, but they ride nothing alike. Both are intense rides, but ride nothing alike

I wonder if they will try to get creative with the name or just copy Skyhawk from Canada's Wonderland.

Whaddaya mean 'copy?' WE DESERVE A RIDE WITH A NAME SUFFIXED IN -HAWK.

Finally! Parity with all those other CF parks...in some fashion or another.

A Skyhawk type ride is a possibility, although I'm still not convinced that we will be getting a flat ride. It just seems to early to be making an announcement for that. Flying Eagles was announced mid September last year and even the waterpark expansion was announced in early September prior to the opening year. This is one of their earlier announcements and they need to start digging sooner rather than later!

A Skyhawk type ride is a possibility, although I'm still not convinced that we will be getting a flat ride. It just seems to early to be making an announcement for that. Flying Eagles was announced mid September last year and even the waterpark expansion was announced in early September prior to the opening year. This is one of their earlier announcements and they need to start digging sooner rather than later!

Please don't get my hopes up.

Too late.