TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

First gen Intamin Freefalls

I know that there is Wildcatter/Texas Cliffhanger/G-Force (which happens to be my favorite flat in that park) at SFoT, Stuntman's Freefall at Gadv

Demon Drop at Cedar Point, SBNO Freefall at SFMM, and there's one in georgia, if anyone knows anymore, defunct ones, please post them!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freefall at SFOG (the one in Georgia you mentioned), still there, still operating. Although theres that old rumor thats been around since 2001 saying that it would be scrapped for a V2 clone...

Also, Geauga Lake scrapped their 1st Gen Freefall ride, it has a long story.

It was installed in 1981 at SFGAm (when it was Marriot's GAm). After an accident a couple of years later, the park closed the ride and sold it to the now defunct Rocky Point Park in Rhode Island.

Rocky Point Park closed in 1996 and the Freefall ride was sold to Premier Parks. The ride was installed at Geauga Lake in 1997 as Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall. The ride operated at the park until 2005, when it became SBNO and eventually scrapped for parts for Demon Drop at CP.

Freefall at SFOG (the one in Georgia you mentioned), still there, still operating. Although theres that old rumor thats been around since 2001 saying that it would be scrapped for a V2 clone...

It was installed in 1981 at SFGAm (when it was Marriot's GAm). After an accident a couple of years later, the park closed the ride and sold it to the now defunct Rocky Point Park in Rhode Island.

Rocky Point Park closed in 1996 and the Freefall ride was sold to Premier Parks. The ride was installed at Geauga Lake in 1997 as Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall. The ride operated at the park until 2005, when it became SBNO and eventually scrapped for parts for Demon Drop at CP.

so is there an original six total?

I always thought Geaga's was formerly "The Edge" At Paramounts Great America......anybody know for sure?

JEFF

do you know what the accident was.

defunct Rocky Point Park in Rhode Island.

That was my first free fall experience at Rocky Point! I was 10 or so when I first rode it.....Use to go to Rocky Point just about every weekend in the summer.....and they had a corkscrew coaster, and one of the biggest log flume drops I ever been on till this day! thanx for the memories

There are several in Japan aren't there and the West Edmonton Mall had one up until very recently I believe.

I've been on at least two in Japan (Tokyo Summerland and Central Park) and I'm pretty sure Nagashima Spaland has one too. The one from Edmonton was just put up at Movie Park Italy.

There's actually quite a LOT of these out there. It would be interesting to get a full list. Perhaps I'll start one on the first post and continue to add to it when people mention where they've seen them.

--Robb

There are several in Japan aren't there and the West Edmonton Mall had one up until very recently I believe.

I've been on at least two in Japan (Tokyo Summerland and Central Park) and I'm pretty sure Nagashima Spaland has one too.

--Robb

I rode the Nagashima Spaland one back in 2001.

The Edge actually debuted in 1983. The accident was in 1984, and The Edge wasn't removed until the end of the '86 season.

Read more on the accident here: www.greatamericaparks.com/edge.html

I remember at one time they were even counting it as one of their coasters.

I never really thought about that! In a way, these are coasters. They have a lift, drop, break run, and station, they run on track, and are full circuit... Hmmmmm.

pkdcoaster, I can confirm that Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall was in fact the "Free Fall" from Rocky Point Park. It was sold at the auction when the park closed and they built it at the then SFWOA, gave it a new color scheme and name.

I've ridden it in both it's locations, Rocky Point was the only park in RI besides the little kids' Enchanted Forest.

I still prefer Demon Drop to Power Tower @ Cedar Point.

Nothing like an actual falling feeling, it's great

I agree, I especially like wildcatter better than superman: tower of power because it doesn't feel controlled, and you get that omg im gonna die when you are in the lift thinking you're gonna fall back, and another thing is that the curve catches your stomach and that feels really cool!