TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just to give you an idea of how rare that snow is, here is the same angle, 24 hours later. You can see that other than the tops of the mountains, it's all pretty much gone, and I would guess that the snow on those tops will be gone by tomorrow or Thursday.

--Robb

Before:

After:

sfmm_lesssnow.thumb.jpg.cbce6dfd2578696a81c0fd3ad16eae79.jpg

A bit off-topic from the snow discussion, in these pictures, when looking at Colossus, you can actually see the old double-down profile better than the current block brake track. I just found that interesting.

These pictures have been incredibly cool (no pun intended this time). As our planet warms (or cools or whatever it's doing), I expect at some point to have a full force blizzard out here. And when that happens, wouldn't it be great for some SFMM insiders to get pictures of the midways and shops decked out in real snow and completely covering the ground?

Eric

A bit off-topic from the snow discussion, in these pictures, when looking at Colossus, you can actually see the old double-down profile better than the current block brake track. I just found that interesting.

Are you talking about on the right side of colossus where it dips down twice in a row, after one of it's flat turns?

I don't think I noticed them whenever I rode it 3 or 4 times this past year.

In the 25 year anniversary yearbook they made for employees, they have a few pictures of the park covered in snow. I believe those photos were from the 70's.

I was remembering how we had that book as part of the SFMM guide on ACN. So I looked it up. 1989. Really cool I must say. I don't think I ever noticed it before.

It would be great to see the double down come back if Colossus got the Rocky Mountain Treatment, nudge nudge

You, Me, and a silent army of coaster dorks are keeping our fingers crossed.

It would be nice to see it get the Rocky Mountain Treatment and have it restored to the way it was the day it opened

PS sorry about the triple post the stupid Wi Fi here froze up and Im not sure why it posted like that

Edited by ScottBrown

^^Hard to believe at one point the Rev was the most intimidating coaster in the skyline...

Could you ever see it from I-5 anyways?

Anyways whats funny to watch is the movie Rollercoaster on netflix instantly. I guess they filmed it right before Rev opened and Rev was the whole glory shots/finale. The movie is about a person who plants bombs on rollercoasters to make them derail and a rollercoaster inspector who somehow morphs into a detective. they then play a cat and mouse type chase all across the country, ending in magic mountain.. though the parks name was changed, I think.

Yes, you could see Revolution from I-5. And you still can if you look.

If I recall, the park was called Magic Mountain in Rollercoaster! Sometimes it's easy to mix up scenes from that movie and National Lampoon's Vacation, where SFMM was called Walley World and had different ride names.

I'd mentioned before that this storm was not the first time that SFMM had snow, and the pictures from metrock above are proof of it. (I thought it was earlier than 1989, but I guess not.)

Eric

I'd mentioned before that this storm was not the first time that SFMM had snow, and the pictures from metrock above are proof of it. (I thought it was earlier than 1989, but I guess not.) Eric

I've lived in Santa Clarita since '84. It did snow somewhere in 1987/88 and then again in the picture above in 1989. Both times put a good amount of snow on the ground.

I guess they filmed it right before Rev opened and Rev was the whole glory shots/finale.

IIRC, the filming sequences on Revolution were done in the fall of 1976, after a full summer season of operation. (Opened in May of 1976) If you look at the track during the movie, it does look fairly worn, especially when the bomb squad guy is wrapping the bunting on the track.

^ I rode it in May 1976 just after it opened. What a pop of air you got in the back seat as you took the dip through the center of the loop just before the final spiral! Of course, that was before they put that trim brake just as you leave the tunnel.

Eric