TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Why do I have the feeling that MM is just going to get the new cars and that's it, no tunnel, no fog or fire, no paint, no going faster or higher...

I doubt that. If that was true; they would have closed the ride only a couple months before opening like Dreamworld did. SFMM has closed Superman little less than a year before the projected 2011 opening. I remember Tim mentioning at WCB that their goal is to rework the ancient computer system the ride came with. My guess is they're doing that now to get Superman back to the promised 100 mph and they'll add the backwards cars when they're reprogramming is complete. I imagine they'll update the station but I don't see a extended tunnel or fire being added. There is already a fog machine in the tunnel, they just need to actually turn it on.

Edited by Magic Alumni

Why do I have the feeling that MM is just going to get the new cars and that's it, no tunnel, no fog or fire, no paint, no going faster or higher...

What would be the point? All the effects would be broken in eight months anyway.

That's a good point, there's just too much of a "do it once and see how long it takes to rot" mentality.

Although as we've seen at Terminator so far, tunnels are the one thing at the park that can stand the test of time. I dunno, would Superman be that much better backwards if it had JUST a tunnel? I'm not sure that it would be.

^Terminator's audio died after about 8 months. Both X2 and Terminator's fog seldom work too. SFMM is just not THAT great with keeping their special effects running.

Edit: If you really wanna get nitpicky, Goliath lost its tunnel fog, and so did Batman. But they restored the Batfan earlier this year, so they're definitely on the right track

Edited by atem122

^^ I've had a couple of rougher-than-usual rides on it, but for the most part, the new trains are holding up well. Dispatches are usually better than Tatsu to be honest. As for audio, I've only had a few rides where it didn't work. Like others said, the fire only goes off when it's not so windy. One time recently only one of the two torches went off. You have to admit that was kinda funny. Recently, I've had a few puff of fog on X2---you can smell whatever it is that is used to create the mist.

Terminator's audio crapping out didn't surprise me. Even though GCII coasters are smooth (as wooden coasters go), there was enough shaking and vibration to loosen and eventually kill the sensitive electronics. Personally, I applaud SFMM for trying it; sadly, it didn't work.

Eric

^ What?

The only thing I ever heard was the part at the top of the lift ("HERE THEY COME!"), sometimes I heard "TAKE THE TUNNEL" and "THE MACHINES!" Then the stuff at the end ("This is our salvation..."). And that was it. Still a blast to ride, though a bit rough lately.

Eric

^To be fair when the audio did work the ride was so thunderous it was hard to hear.

This is my feeling as well. They would have been better off just adding audio to the lift hill and brake run via speakers as quite a few other rides have done.

You can hear the audio *slightly* better on X2, but really, other than the lift hill, station, and brake runs, it's very hard to make out what is going on.

--Robb

Went to the park for a few hours today:

- I didn't realize today was Jubilee. Luckily we got there at open and we were gone by about 12:45. Rode Log Jammer, Goliath, Colossus, Batman, Terminator and Ninja. It was starting to get really busy by the time we left. Tatsu's queue was full and the line was starting to head down the hill and was almost to where Jet Stream crosses the path. We were going to go to the park tomorrow instead, but I decided I didn't want to do anything tomorrow. We were only going up to get pictures of Fright Fest prep for the most part anyway.

- I'm assuming one of the Batman trains is in rehab. They were only running 1 train and there wasn't another train on the transfer track

- Holy CRAP was it hot

- Tidal Wave is also down, I'm assuming for Fright Fest

- Speaking of Fright Fest, preparations are ongoing. Lots of "Spider Webs" throughout the park

- Psyclone Trains are back on the track for backwards Colossus. No sign of any testing

- No visible changes at Superman

- No visible changes near "Mr. Six" although the coaster looks pretty dirty backstage (as seen from Terminator's lift)

- Sign in front of Deja Vu that it will reopen in the spring

^ What's up with Vu' now? Has this been happening a lot lately?

Also, if what the park says is all correct, Mr. Six isn't going to be dancing for much longer. So I assume their waiting for the slow season so they can start painting and such. Because it was so hard to put together the first time...

I'm not sure if this theory has been shared yet or not, but here is my opinion on this Superman mega-rehab.

For those who don't know (I'm guessing its relatively few), Bizarro is a bit like an opposite-superman. The logo on his suit is mirrored, and several of his other "powers" are opposite (freeze vision instead of heat, gains energy from Kryptonite, etc). Thus, it would make sense that the ride be rethemed to Bizaro, since he is literally a "backwards Superman"

Since we have two tracks, I think the most likely scenario is that only one of the tracks will be turned backwards, and rethemed to Bizarro. Both tracks will receive the new cars, and possibly the new computer system, except one of them will be facing forwards. I assume this is as simple as mounting the magnets with opposite polarity.

Again, if anyone has shared this theory before, I am not aware of it. What does TPR think?