TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

But if it is not worth that much to you, then why are you worried about it?

If I had to spend $1 once, and access all lockers all day long, hey no problem. But $12-$15 over the course of the day on all of the rides builds up fast. And remember, that money isn't what the CUP is worth, it is what the SECURITY on the cup is worth. It is the value of the risk associated with your item. Very low on a plastic cup, very high on a cam corder. I'm not leaving my wallet by the side of the station.

The money isn't worth the extra security on an item when It isn't worth the reduced risk when compared to leaving it ride-side... and I certainly don't understand why it becomes Six Flag's responsibility to tell me to protect my items. What you suggest is to throw the item away as I'd expect it to be seen as garbage to be collected by collectors. There is a difference between throwing something away and being willing to risk the fact that 30 people ahead of you will not take it. One case you are guaranteeing that your item is gone (throwing it away) the other... well I've never had anybody take my cup. My preference is that my items are still there... The chances are VERY good that they will be.

If you want to make pay lockers that is FINE. Just let me choose. If you think this will help ride throughput you are wrong wrong wrong. What will happen (because I saw it happen on riddler) is you end up having people split their parties up. A few stay back for the next train holding the stuff while the others ride. Then the mad dash to hand over the baton as the few who stayed back ride and pass the items to the people who just got off. You add more people and more scrambling to the line process, make it so people can't ride together, and add to the frustration of going to the park. Heck, I don't think those basketballs you can win at the midway games will even fit in those ride time lockers.

^^

To which I respond: Cedar Point.

Somehow that park manages to have station side item bins and manages to maintain one of the highest guest satisfaction ratings of any park around. I don't know what magic they work to make sure that this doesn't cripple their park experience, but I suggest Six Flags attempt to find out.

Funny, I can remember a time when there were no lockers at each ride, and no collection bins at the stations either...GASP. What did we do back then? The same thing that should be done now.....USE COMMON SENSE.

If it's fairly obvious that you shouldn't be carrying something on a ride, then do something about it....like biting the bullet and using the lockers, not buying stuff until you're finished riding rides, or handing your stuff to a non-rider in your group, if possible. Honestly, is it really that tough?

The only thing shelves in stations and lockers outside queue lines has done, is given park guests a reason to not use their brains anymore.

As Jahan said, it is not in place on every ride, just the major rides where this kind of thing is a problem. So, right there, your 12-15 dollars is reduced to 4 or 5.

And it will reduce dispatch time if a stricter rule is enforced - nobody is allowed in line unless what they have can be secured on their body.

You may be correct NYtrojen, but the bottom line is that it is Six Flags New policy and if it really bothers you that much than you should either A:not ride the rides that enforce this policy, B: deal with the policy and enjoy the rides, or C: Write a letter to them and complain about it, enough people might feel the same way and do the same which in turn may force them to change the policy. The park is there to find the best solution to the problem, and they feel they have found it, if you feel its not the right decision then you need to let them know why rather than moan and complain about it everytime you have to pay a doller to secure your 3 dollar cup.

^^

Somehow that park manages to have station side item bins and manages to maintain one of the highest guest satisfaction ratings of any park around. I don't know what magic they work to make sure that this doesn't cripple their park experience, but I suggest Six Flags attempt to find out.

As much as people like to do it, you CANT compare Cedar Point to Magic Mountain. They are different parks, run differently. If Magic Mountain had the capacity to run their park the way Cedar Point does, they would! But the truth is, they don't.

That argument is as simple as saying "Disney can better implement a line cutting system--why can't Magic Mountain?", when Disney has the capacity to staff 3-4 positions solely on FastPass and Magic only has the ability to have one of the actual ride operators collecting tickets.

I'm not trying to get you to purchase lockers. You don't want to do that, cool deal. I would never purchase a locker, personally. I also never go to a park with anything but a pocket-sized camera, but still. All I'm trying to say is there's a reason this system is implemented. It's the park attempting to fix a MAJOR problem with the resources that they have. I'm not looking for agreement, just understanding.

-Jahan

^^

I hope Six Flags NEVER attempts to borrow the "magic" of Cedar Point. But that's an off topic rant for another time. As it relates to the topic, IIRC, Cedar Point does the same exact thing on MF and TTD (and maybe other rides---I can't remember).

Another case in point: The Busch parks. You don't really read many bad TR's about those parks, but they also have the same locker policy as SFMM.

If you think this will help ride throughput you are wrong wrong wrong.

Completely disagree. From my experience working RRv, the delay from the "mad scramble" is still less than than all the delays Jahan mentioned. As I said before, there is no perfect system. SFMM is doing what they feel is best.

^^ Unfortunately Jahan, I do believe that a Cedar Point and Magic Mountain comparison is totally valid considering they are in the same industry. True, one is a "theme" park that is run in a certain way, and one is an "amusement" park that is run in a different way, but I see it as the same thing as comparing WalMart and Macy's - one is cheap with debatable quality and one is more expensive with debatable quality (not saying Cedar Point or Magic Mountain are different in terms of pricing or anything like that, just using a comparison - both WalMart and Macy's are department stores and a comparison is valid no matter how totally different they are from each other). Cedar Point and Magic Mountain are pretty much the same in terms of what people go for - entertainment and fun, riding rides, seeing shows etc. I know that they are two very differently run places, but that is what this whole debate is about - the best way to essentially run a park in terms of loose articles.

My biggest problem is just the way that NYTrojan is arguing his case. To me NYTrojan is trying to argue the case that some things aren't worth being put into a locker, which is a valid point. My point is that if they aren't worth paying a dollar for to save, then don't complain about it. But, at the same time, NYTrojan is basically saying that their camcorder is not worth $1 too. It doesn't make much sense to me. I get that there are other parks out there that you don't have to pay for a locker, like Cedar Fair parks, but if you go into a Six Flags park knowing that the rule is in place, then don't complain. If your precious camera means something to you, then it is worth a $1 here and there to protect it.

If you are just a couple guys are girls it is fine to say don't bring big items to the park. When you have a 5 and 10 year old no matter how hard you try you will acquire items and those items six flags has probably already been well paid for. Also this is the problem I see. From looking at the pics from the SFDK lockers at Medusa the lockers are out front. There are signs saying 120 minute max. I see people using the $1 lockers and going on multiple rides around the area. What hapends when all of the locker are full. Does that mean my family of 4 can not ride the ride because my son has 12 inch bugs bunny. The idea of not riding all together is not good because we have been waiting for years for are youngest to be tall enough so that all 4 of us can ride quite a few rides. They say they will have employees watching the lockers so that stuff is not left too long but we all know what happens with that. That will be the first position to pull to cover other positions are to cut labor. Everyone has always known that if you leave your stuff at the station it is at your own risk.

^I believe Six Flags offers the package pick up service, so you don't have to carry a bunch of stuff around all day. I also think you can check larger items (like those giant stuffed animals you win) in at GR.

Also,everyone knows that they are leaving stuff in the station at their own risk...until it gets stolen. Then it's the parks fault.

I personally think this whole argument is silly.

I've been going to parks for YEARS and I carry with me multiple video cameras, still cameras, my wallet, my cell phone and my keys and the past year I now have a baby and all the required items that go with it, and somehow I've still managed to NEVER HAVE TO USE A LOCKER...EVER in any of my park visits.

So instead of telling Six Flags to "figure it out", instead why can't the average person figure out how to navigate a park without having to use a locker? And if you can't....add a few extra bucks into your theme park budget!

--Robb

I've never personally used the lockers at any ride, but I'd say it's a necessary move. I am, however, one of those that often left a couple things to the side of rides, like perhaps a sweatshirt and camera or so. As much as I'd like the shelf thing to work (and it could) right now they're doing what they need to, and it's probably a good thing.

Besides, don't they have those main lockers/random lockers that you can store your stuff for a longer period of time. I believe they're around X, Viper and Revolution. Unless they were taken out, they're still there.

I personally as well have never used a locker at an amusement park. I always wear cargo pants or shorts that have zipper pockets to store my wallet, keys, phone, and my camera. I've never had a problem. I also bring zip-lock bags to put my things in when I go on water rides.

I always just plan ahead. I know I'm going to be going on rides so I'm always prepared. I'd rather save my money for food and souvenirs lol.

John

I do usually use lockers if necessary, and when I visited SFMM we just got an all day locker for $10. I still had my wallet, camera phone etc on me all the time, just put stuff I wasn't going to need every 10 minutes in the locker. On visits to parks in the UK I do tend to avoid having to use a locker in the first place, but then in the past they have been free anyway.

As for bringing a 5 year old and 10 year old to the park, I can understand you probably need more stuff, but you can't need all of it all of the time, so get an all day locker. And as for aquiring a 12" bugs bunny, hows about you don't acquire a 12" bugs bunny until you're nearing the end of the day? You won't then need a locker to put it in. Maybe it does suck that you have to pay for something which used to be free, but then I can see that it might help improve things at parks, which in my opinion is a good thing.

Like Robb said, if you take a lot of stuff and plan on using the locker, just add a little extra to your budget for it. A little planning goes a long way.

The person that is directly above the comment stated that they got an all day locker when they went to SFMM. Not to be critical but you discussed that you brought things with you besides your camera, keys and wallet that you took with you personally. What else could you have needed besides that? I dont understand why anyone would need anything past the things that you state you had. Now as far as people with little children have no business in live for X or Riddler anyway so that argument there is squashed. If people with toddlers want to ride they need to pick a day and get a baby sitter to keep the kiddies while they have an ADULT day at the parks.

^I don't actually see what it matters what we put in it. I'm happy to use the locker so I don't really want someone else to tell me I'm taking too much to the park.

I can't remember exactly what was in it. My wife carries a small bag around with her with some stuff in it, phone, keys, painkillers, we left her wallet in it since she didnt want it all day. We bought E-tickets which stated we must bring photo ID so we brought our passports just incase, I don't particularly want to carry my passport around especially on water rides. Spare camera batteries, spare memory cards in cases. She had a cardigan incase it got cold, plus we put some water in it to save carrying the bottle round all day. I probably could have stuffed alot of it in my pockets and been uncomfortable all day, but $10 wasn't that much money to me. I didn't even want to carry my camera round all day so I put it in there at times aswell.

It's all small stuff, but stuff I couldn't be bothered carrying round all day in the limited space in my cargo shorts.

Now as far as people with little children have no business in live for X or Riddler anyway so that argument there is squashed. If people with toddlers want to ride they need to pick a day and get a baby sitter to keep the kiddies while they have an ADULT day at the parks.

This statement is one of the most hilarious things posted on TPR. You do realize you post on a website where the people who run the site are able to go to parks and ride the ADULT rides with no issues? Maybe you should tell Robb and Elissa they have no business in line.

^ Hell no. Families enjoying various ride types and thrill levels at an amusement park? Not on my watch. It's all or nothing. If you got a kid, you should be forced to stay in Thomas Town. Got a toddler with you and want to go on X? Too freaking bad, you should have left that brat at home, cuz It's ADULT DAY.

When I go to parks, I use cargo shorts with Velcro pockets. One of the best clothing purchases I've made, and usually the way to go. Although I do not carry a camera around, all I have is my phone, keys, and wallet. They also work great for glasses when riding.