TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Not only is Disney a huge company, they're the largest single employer in Orange County...they pretty much own (via campaign contributions) any and all politicians in the area...to the point where, if you spend any time (like I have) up here in Sacramento at the state Capitol, eventually, you'll run across some ludicrous piece of legislation that, while having Disney's name on it, has it stamped all over the legislation. Things like making it illegal for more than one adult to occupy a hot tub at once in an area that surrounds Disney by about one mile (I kid you not-Disney was afraid of organized swinger groups using the motels around their park-this was eventually defeated by pointing out that as written, it prohibited legally married couples from enjoying themselves, EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T MAKING WHOOPEE!! )...

The point being, when Disney wants something done, they get it. Six Flags, on the other hand, has always had to deal with LA County, which has a bureaucracy so entrenched that nothing seems to change it...I can remember when I worked at MM in the late 70's, for a while I worked in the laundry department, where we employed an individual I'll grudgingly describe as "Challenged"...when, after the third time she'd ruined a brand new purchase of uniforms by taking it upon herself to wash them incorrectly while I was on a lunch break (Despite direct instructions not to start any new loads of laundry), I asked why she still had a job, my supervisor told me her father was the county official in charge of fair hiring practices, and that as long as his daughter had a job, there was no way anyone could argue that MM practiced unfair hiring. And of course, since she couldn't possibly be put in a job where she interacted with the customers, she ended up in the laundry. To be fair, the supervisors from MM knew what was going on, and none of us who had to deal with her ever got in trouble for the problems she caused...although I did chase her out of the laundry room once with a broom, when I knew I was about to transfer to another job in the park.

On a completely different subject, thought I'd write about the only two times I've been lucky (if you can call it that) enough to test-ride or pre-ride a coaster.

The first was Colossus, after the rebuild following the unfortunate death that occurred on the ride (don't know how much I can write about that-we'll cover that later)...after 17 months of rebuild, including the main hill being completely toppled in a windstorm as it was nearing completion, anticipation within the ranks at MM was building towards the reopening of the ride, and the surge in business this would bring...one day in late April/early May, while the park was still only open on weekends, a group of ride mechs came into the cafeteria at lunch and asked for volunteers to test ride, saying "We've been running it with 160 lb. sandbags in the seats, but we need to test it with real bodies". They also made the point that only MM employees could participate, as we were the only ones covered by the insurance policies...why this mattered became apparent when we got to the station-they hadn't yet installed seat belts or working lap bars on the trains. we were told to hang on and not let go or "You will die". With all that on our heads, that trip up the first hill seemed to take forever, and you can bet we all had death grips on the handle rails until that train got back to the station. The ride itself wasn't too bad-much smoother than the original Colossus (since we weren't getting pulled out of our seats by g-forces, that makes sense) and quite a bit faster through the first half of the ride.

The second one I ever pre-rode was the Grizzly at what was then Marriott's Great America. I got off it with what I now find is everyone's opinion..."That sucked. What else can we ride?" In fact, the highlight of the night was getting free tickets to a Ramones show the next night in San Francisco.

a group of ride mechs came into the cafeteria at lunch and asked for volunteers to test ride, saying "We've been running it with 160 lb. sandbags in the seats, but we need to test it with real bodies". They also made the point that only MM employees could participate, as we were the only ones covered by the insurance policies...why this mattered became apparent when we got to the station-they hadn't yet installed seat belts or working lap bars on the trains. we were told to hang on and not let go or "You will die". With all that on our heads, that trip up the first hill seemed to take forever, and you can bet we all had death grips on the handle rails until that train got back to the station.

Awesome!

Since I wasn't around back then, did most people (general public) know what happened on Colossus - since this was before the internet, how did people find out about the death?

And geez.. how scared were you to ride it? A death? A wind storm catastrophe? I'm beginning to think that Colossus is cursed.

^ Yeah, it was all over the news...poor Carol, who weighed in excess of 300 lbs. and was 4 foot 10 inches tall...they had to stand on the lap bar to get it to lock down, but she was raising hell about "her rights" so they let her go...one of many strange deaths at MM over the years(I don't want to go into too much detail of those unless it's OK to do so-don't want to piss anyone off)...

BTW, a little known bit of knowledge-in the original drawings, Colossus was called "The Killer" and the original car design was to have them resemble coffins...this was obviously changed before construction...

Please tell more stories. It seems like MM would have a ton of very interesting stuff that isn't too well detailed. I didn't know the person who died was also short.

That would have been awesome to see The Killer with coffins. Do you have any pictures you can post somewhere?

One incident that seems to have been lost to history is what I believe was the park's first fatality. In Febrary 1978, one of the Eagle's Flight gondolas slipped off of the cable and fell onto the midway (right about where the Superman track goes over it now). A newly married couple was inside, and when the car fell, she was seriously injured and he was killed. The investigation showed that the clamp on the car didn't fully engage the cable as it normally would.

With this accident and the one on Colossus in December, some ten months later, 1978 was not a good year for Magic Mountain. Interestingly, the following year was when Six Flags took over.

Eric

Scary stuff happens at theme parks alot. Even now, coasters still have scary stuff like that happen.

I remember the accident where that security guard was hit by Scream a few years ago and was killed. I still wonder how you get hit by a floorless coaster without standing on the tracks or throwing your head right in front of the train...

Ok, since you guys started it...when I worked for MM, they were required by either law or their own insurance company to keep all physical evidence of deaths which occurred in the park...these pieces of evidence were kept in a locked cage within the tool crib, along with other departments stuff...the cage for the Entertainment Dept., which I worked for at the time, was right next to the "death cage" as they called it. I also had a friend who worked in the tool crib who once gave me a 5am guided tour, so here's what I saw:

The shattered remains of the Kamikaze Kup that fell from Eagle's Nest. What most stories at the time didn't reveal is that the cage was bounced off the line by the newlywed couple "enjoying" themselves, along with being put onto the cable at a spot too close to the splice. (In a related story, I worked with and knew the only person [up to that time] ever fired from MM as a safety risk...he worked on eagle's Nest, and would actually TRY to send cars out right on the red-painted splice. Considering the splice was painted red for 25 feet either side of the splice, and yellow for 75 feet past that, and you weren't supposed to put a car out on either the yellow or the red, I think they had good reason to fire him.)

The stuffed carcass of the tame 27 year old lion that people used to set their little kids on (when it was alive) for pictures. It snapped one day and killed it's trainer, so it was put down. A necropsy (sic?) revealed later that it had a tumor on its brain, possibly leading to this.

The car from Colossus.

The car from Revolution that decapitated the gardener...a little known MM tragedy, after more than 10 announcements in both English and Spanish announcing that Rev would begin cycling trains in X minutes (which could be heard at the far end of the parking lot), a gardener working under the tracks heard a strange sound and stuck his head up through the tracks to investigate...

The car from the gas-powered cars on the rail that slipped off a jack while the mechanic was underneath it working on the transmission, breaking his neck...this ride was later shut down, with much of the real estate it used being used for the steam train.

And finally, the gurney the young man who was stabbed to death in the disco bled out on...on what was, to that point, the most crowded day in park history, several gangs decided to fight it out in the park. One death and at least 7 non-fatal knifings later, it took a major contingent of Los Angeles County and City law enforcement to clear the park. As employees at the time, we were not allowed to leave the park until after 2:30 in the morning, and the sight of all that blood in the medical area (I got two toes broken by an idiot in 3 inch disco shoes) is still pretty much a recurring nightmare in my dreams.

Media filming event going on a Magic Mountain March 16th:

From their Facebook Page:

Six Flags Magic Mountain is announcing to the world the launch of Superman: Escape from Krypton. All the news media will be watching, but the cars can’t be empty. The first 100 people to RSVP will be invited to our exclusive media preview day on March 16 to ride Superman: Escape from Krypton.

Please note: Six Flags Magic Mountain will not be open that day, this is an exclusive media preview event and only Superman: Escape from Krypton will be operational.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Must be available from 10am-1pm

Lunch will be served

Please RSVP to: sfmmevents@sixflags.com

You will receive a confirmation email with directions and necessary credentials from our event supervisor.

Although this may be an odd question, how is inside the Superman line? Like, is it claustorphobic inside the Fortress or whatever? This is the only coaster in the park that I have not been on, but I'm quite claustorphobic, and just wanted to know what it's like.

The shattered remains of the Kamikaze Kup that fell from Eagle's Nest. What most stories at the time didn't reveal is that the cage was bounced off the line by the newlywed couple "enjoying" themselves, along with being put onto the cable at a spot too close to the splice. (In a related story, I worked with and knew the only person [up to that time] ever fired from MM as a safety risk...he worked on eagle's Nest, and would actually TRY to send cars out right on the red-painted splice. Considering the splice was painted red for 25 feet either side of the splice, and yellow for 75 feet past that, and you weren't supposed to put a car out on either the yellow or the red, I think they had good reason to fire him.)

When you say "Eagles Nest," would you mean "Eagles Flight?" Just trying to clarify.

While I am not knowledgeable regarding the technical aspects of one of these aerial tramways, everything you said about this incident makes perfect sense.

Eric

^^^Damn, that's some eerie stuff.

I read about a year ago that in total, Magic Mountain has had 108 complaints of injury. Definetly a big number.

Most them apparently come from Goliath. No surprise, considering every complaint has to do with grayouts and blackouts, as well as tunnel vision.

I'd love to hear more. It's strangely eerie to hear about lethal accidents at amusement parks...

When you say "Eagles Nest," would you mean "Eagles Flight?" Just trying to clarify.

While I am not knowledgeable regarding the technical aspects of one of these aerial tramways, everything you said about this incident makes perfect sense.

Eric

Yep. Sorry, wrote that post not long after waking up, and it's been a long time since I've been to the park.

As to the number of reported "events" or injuries in the park, keep in mind that the same thing that allows Disney to build so quickly in Orange County affects SFMM in this area, too...LA County requires strict reporting of all injuries, while Disney for some time did not have to report anything that was handled "in park".

And finally, the gurney the young man who was stabbed to death in the disco bled out on...on what was, to that point, the most crowded day in park history, several gangs decided to fight it out in the park. One death and at least 7 non-fatal knifings later, it took a major contingent of Los Angeles County and City law enforcement to clear the park. As employees at the time, we were not allowed to leave the park until after 2:30 in the morning, and the sight of all that blood in the medical area (I got two toes broken by an idiot in 3 inch disco shoes) is still pretty much a recurring nightmare in my dreams.

I'm a little unclear about how you got your toes broken "by an idiot in 3 inch disco shoes". Just thought I'd ask. Thanks for sharing this little known information with us!

^ My guess is that someone with tall heels stepped (or stomped) on his foot. I can see that happening.

Eric

Eric grabs the brass ring on the first try...I was working a backstage entrance to the Ampetheater when someone took offense to my not letting them in and stomped on my toes...my partner at the gate settled the argument by administering a metal megaphone upside the jerk's head. It was a scary night...we estimated over 7000 people packed into the theater for a third show, which the band agreed to rather than setting off a riot. That's 7000 in a theater that seats at most 3300...the next day, we found that all of the awnings that blocked sunlight from coming in the back of the theater were gone-not just shredded but completely gone, and over half of the pointed iron spikes on the entrance fences were broken off (over 100 in total).

At one point in the last show, guys started jumping on the cables that held up the entire structure-while we were pretty much in self-protection mode by that point, my boss sent three of us to stop them, as having the entire stage collapse on the band would definitely bring bad PR...when I got there and told them to get down, they decided they would, if only to beat the crap out of me, a singular white boat in a large sea of darker faces...when suddenly a large black arm came over each of their shoulders and yanked both of them straight back. All three of us looked up into the eyes of a really big man who at the time was the starting tailback at USC. "You f*ck with him, you f*ck with me" he said, and they chilled out immediately.

I personally thanked him and the good lord both that I'd been his math tutor in high school, and had helped him get good enough grades to get into USC. I went back in the pit between stage and crowd, and my boss said "I thought you were gonna get killed." All i could say was "Me too!!"

Regarding the gardener killed on Revolution,

I have to wonder, if you are working under a coaster's tracks and you hear a noise, what could possibly make you think "I should stick my head up through the tracks" no that can't be dangerous? Nevermind the numerous bilingual announcements, that's just a lack of common sense. Its sad but really, wouldn't you think about that first?